Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Diesels

Views : 1091

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 23:31   #1
david036

Default Volvo Diesels

How does everybody rate the volvo diesel?
Are they reliable, or do they suffer from common problems, like many of the other modern diesel. What are you getting MPG wise from them.

Reason for all the questions is I fancy another Volvo, prob going to be a v70 or something as big,

But as I do over 60k a year, I need something that is going to start as soon as they key is turned and does a min of 50mpg. Unfortunatly the current motorway mile cruiser is a mondeo!!

Had many volvo's just never a diesel!
david036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 07:19   #2
MindlessJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by david036 View Post
How does everybody rate the volvo diesel?
Are they reliable, or do they suffer from common problems, like many of the other modern diesel. What are you getting MPG wise from them.

Reason for all the questions is I fancy another Volvo, prob going to be a v70 or something as big,

But as I do over 60k a year, I need something that is going to start as soon as they key is turned and does a min of 50mpg. Unfortunatly the current motorway mile cruiser is a mondeo!!

Had many volvo's just never a diesel!
I've got a 2004 S80 D5 and my grandfather has a 2007 S60 D5, both of them are around 100,000 miles. They both drive beautifully, start each and every time. I do around 250 miles a week and always look forward to getting back into the car, have done nearly 9000 miles since late August '12.

Also, I get around 37 to 40 mpg from mine (automatic, 163bhp) and I'm not a particularly light footed driver...
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 09:26   #3
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I have the 1.6d V60. I think it may be a Peugeot/Citroen engine. I find it very good and it gives no problems. I average around 50mpg overall, higher 50's on long journeys. I drive gently so those figures are genuine.

Previous to this car I had an S40 2.0d, 140bhp for 2 years. That was okay, gave me no problems and I averaged 44-47mpg over the two years.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:26   #4
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have had a V70 D5 since 2003 , its done 165000 miles and average is over 50MPG , it can still average much higher on long runs 65 mpg is no problem if driven for economy but last few years the moving average ( calculated every 3000 miles ) is dropping to around 44mpg probably due to wear/using winter tyres all the time/shorter journeys . Reliability is good , its broke down a couple of times with issues with the in tank fuel pump but that could have been avoided with hindsight as the life expectancy is about 5 hours when run dry compared to 6000 hours when fed with diesel , keep three or four gallons in the tank and a pump could last 200000 miles or more . My opinion on the Volvo diesel is its probably no better or worse than many other makes for reliability and economy , nothing wrong with Mondeos , I just like Volvo estates .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:32   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

From what I read in the S40/V40 section, the 1.9D even though it was a Renault engine was very reliable, even better than the 2.0d found in the newer S40/V50 range, and that engine seems to attract a lot of criticism.

I've just bought a V70 D5 and it's very good, and personally I would aim for any 5cyl diesel.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 11:58   #6
Daim
Brit in Germany

I'd look more so towards the D3/D4. Loads of torque, not too big, nice fuel economy and as they are just a D5 with a shorter stroke, the block isn't anything new, so they are as reliable as a D5. The best thing would be a D3 and get it remapped to 180 hp.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 21:00   #7
gjd
Premier Member

Hello

Mine has the VW/Audi engine.

The mileage says it all.

Fuelly says we average 50mpg on a motorway run.
gjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 21:39   #8
WillV70D5

My 185 Euro 4 D5 V70 is proving to be pretty reliable.

Only had very minor issues so far.

I do approx 1000 miles a week and get 50 to the gallon. I really chilled out on the way to work the other day and got 63 mpg, so very economical if driven that way.

Nice and quick in the real world as well, with nearly 300 lb ft of the good stuff.
WillV70D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 23:37   #9
steadvex
Master Member

Honestly, i'd say the 163bhp diesel is one of the best diesels i've ever driven, haven't driven a diesel as smooth as a d5 in any car.

personally a little disapointed with the newer d5 (185), sure its a lot faster, and super smooth but the 163 just sounded nicer..the newer revision just sounds tinny, also a noticable increase in fuel consumption. (I might be too fussy about the noise!)

Had mine for 4 years, never had engine trouble, 168k when it died (due to me being silly driving through water too deep in the floods before xmas), always serviced it and used decent fuel.

Driving very sensibly i've had the trip computer say 87mpg average on a 200mile run before, I know thats not the most reliable way of measuring fuel but even if its within 20mpg thats still pretty good to me

driven the 1.6d engine in a c30 and personally absoluty hated it, horrible performance, loud, rough feeling, have a feeling the c30 experiance ruined it a lot for me tho, pretty sure they aren't built as well as other volvo's

Haven't driven any others, at least long enough to be able to give an opinon
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 08:45   #10
david036

Thanks everybody for all your replies.

Have to say I'm very surprised with the mpg figures....Very pleasing.

Will start the trawl through to find myself a v70 diesel.....

On a complete side not, does anybody know the train weights on the diesel v70??
david036 is offline   Reply With Quote