Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone had an A/C recharge done?

Views : 3942

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2011, 21:46   #1
iainmd

Default Anyone had an A/C recharge done?

The aircon in my S40 doesn't blow anywhere near as cold as it did some 6yrs ago. Has anyone had the A/C "re-charged" and if so where, how much and did it make a noticable difference?

I've never had this done before but you see all sorts of places advertising the service nowadays. I have no idea how it's done, what's involved or the best way to go about this.

All helpful hints appreciated.

Iain

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 21:49   #2
charliemopic

Just had mine done this afternoon, 39.99 all in for the leak detection and full re-gassing. It was done at ATS Euromaster in Ely Cambridgeshire. Took about an hour and has made a huge difference, i don't think it had been done for several years :-)
charliemopic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemopic For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 08:13   #3
Welton
Premier Member

It can make a big difference, quite a few people on forums like this moan about Kwik Fit's service but then some say if you get the right Kwik Fit with the right staff then then do a cracking job.

I had a mobile man do mine last year for £58.00, I stood and chatted with him through the process. Mine was a little down on gas but not much.

They will check the existing pressure with the system running and check the temperature at the face vent to see what the level of gas is and check overall status, then recover all the old gas, do a pressure test with Nitrogen to check for leaks (this is where it can all go tits up), vacuum the system to remove moisture and then re-fill with new gas, add/replace fridge oil if required, and a UV dye for future leak detection.

Be aware though of our weak condensers and the fact that it might fail the pressure test - leaving you with no air con until you replace the parts.

If you suspect the system to be low on gas it's a good idea not to use it so much as it strains the compressor (although it will cut off automatically when really low on gas). The compressor will sound rough/grumbly when low on gas.

As many as 90% of cars having a 'regas' will show that a leak is present requiring remedy first. The remainder of cars are likely to be low on gas but still functioning and can be treated easily at low cost (like mine was).

I work next-door to a reputable car body shop and simply asked them to recommend a mobile service (they would only use someone reliable because of warranty issues) it might be worth you asking someone similar? the guy that did mine was superb, had a nice kitted-out van and even printed me an invoice via his lap top there and then!
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post: