Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Admiral Insurance

Views : 1284

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2012, 15:59   #1
snowgoon
VOC Member

Default Admiral Insurance

Does anyone have experience of Admiral Insurance?

I'm tempted by their multi-vehicle discount, which is considerable, but see a lot of naegative reviews on the web. I'd be interested in members' own views and/or experiences of Admiral.
snowgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 16:14   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Every year I shop round the various options, and we have been with Admiral on a multi-car policy for several years now.

An S70 and a V70 fully comp with business use on the V70 for a total of less than £450, which was a lot less than anyone quoted at the time (last August) for the two cars individually.

Also, when we enquired about adding a car for our 19-year-old daughter, Admiral were literally thousands cheaper than a stand-alone policy for her. She would be earning her own NCD too. More than that, the people I spoke with on the phone were extremely helpful.

UK-based call centre, very friendly and efficient telephone staff, paperwork has always been spot-on and very prompt.

The one thing we've not had to do is make a claim - which I guess would be the real test of any insurer.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 16:23   #3
wooble
Stay gold baby!

In my own experience, they've always been cheap and reasonably easy to communicate with on the phone. The only time I've ever made a claim with them was for a cracked windscreen. They insisted I had to use their recommended fitters (National Windscreens) or pay a higher excess, National Windscreens took 3 visits to install the screen, the first one they dropped the new screen on my driveway and broke it, the second one they installed the screen and it was wonky and off-centre so the trim didn't fit, apparently because it was drizzling. They agreed to replace it for free and managed to get it right on the 3rd visit. I can't blame Admiral for their ****-ups, but I was annoyed at not being allowed to take the car to the windscreen shop owned by a friend, where I could have had the job done quicker, cheaper and right the first time!

Still, that niggle aside they have never done me wrong, and usually manage to help me out with cutting my premium every year after I call them and have a word.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 16:32   #4
Axionknight
Premier Member

They were cheaper by far for me (I'm 23 and the insurance was £150 less than everywhere else) and their service and correspondance was promt and efficient when I was chopping/changing my cars and number plates.

Didn't crash my car so can't comment with regards to claiming from them, though.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 18:32   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

Tried them, but strangely it was cheaper for me to insure our two cars on separate policies! Should have been cheaper but no. We are both over 50, no claims in ages but not cheaper? Strange bunch these insurance companies.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 19:21   #6
pdrvolvo
Master Member

I have three cars(xc90,megane scenic,bmw 328i cab.) with them at the moment for less than £700 all fully comp.

peter.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 22:42   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I've been with them for a number of years now, the two car policy was definitely cheaper when we took it out (must check at next renewal) and the change from two different renewal dates was done very easily. When I wanted to add my daughter (at 18 yrs old) they were prepared to add her as an 'occasional driver' rather than 'named driver' and charge a lot less than other companies. After my wife pranged her car they got it repaired, a bit of a pain as there was no approved repairer in Milton Keynes so it had to go to Northampton but there was no argument or awkwardness about doing it, we didn't try getting it done at a local garage of our choice, not sure how they would have reacted but we couldn't be bothered as they were prepared to sort out the repair anyway. When I've needed to contact them they are polite, helpful and know what they're doing, including arranging adding my daughter to the policy for a few weeks after she had left home but wanted to borrow the car.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 23:11   #8
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I have been with admiral for 2 years now and was going to do the multi car with my girlfriend but there were issue as I pay monthly and the girlfriend pays in one go, but for multicar only one payment method is acceptable, also as our policy's were a month apart they wanted me to effectively lose a years no claims and renew early!, and then even though admiral apparently own diamond and elephant (all the same company) diamond gave a much better quote for the girlfriend so went with them, then my renewal was chaper than the multicar quote for my car wierd!!, but not the cheapest I got, but phoned them and they priced matched :-)

I've had no issues with admiral and was with them for a few years just after I past my test but then their renewal went stupid so went to swift cover
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 14:41   #9
Volvo6
Master Member

I've been with Admiral for almost two years now also and they have been fine. Not sure how competitive they are now but price seemed OK for myself at the time.

Claimed for a cracked windscreen, they sent out National in reasonable time to replace it and as far as I could see the standard of the work was fine. Had to pay £70 excess.

Then earlier this year some damage to the underside of the car was noted by local Volvo garage that had come from bashing a rock while driving along a single track road in Scotland in the middle of the night. The left sill was badly damaged and a complete repair to the sill and replacement body kit panel (which was also cracked) would have been £2000. Admiral didn't seem too concerned with the details of the incident and gave me the option to do it through one of their approved repairers (one just down the road from me) or another repairer of my choice. I chose to go with local Volvo garage and they were fine with that. All in all I was more than satisfied with the people I dealt with and the speed of proceedings.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 15:05   #10
emmdee
Premier Member

I went with them a couple of times 2 or 3 years apart, probably about 10 years ago now. They were okay then.

m.d.

Tags
admiral, insurance