Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Please help, wanting to buy 145 from '73

Views : 2708

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2015, 17:17   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Sorry to be the one who's saying all of the negative things here but your 2 new pictures also show the need for rear seat upholstery and also a wrecked headlining. The engine picture also shows that the heater is out of commission going by the cut off hose.
7 seats means that it has the extra child seats in the rear. These fold down into the floor. Good for kids but not dogs.
I think that Euros 2000 is much too high for this car even though I don't know the local market prices. In the UK a tidy 145 needing very little can be bought for your figure and a similar 240 estate for half that, sometimes less. RHD of course which may be a problem for you with regards to registration and insurance. I would think that a much better 240 estate could be had for that even if you have to travel to Germany or Switzerland for it. Not so vintage but much easier to look after and has a similar character to the 145.
Base price for an Amazon estate will be much higher even if body shop costs might be about the same. The parts that you would have difficulty finding for the 145 are available for the Amazon but some of those are rather expensive.
I have an Amazon estate as well as a 240 estate so hope I'm giving sensible advice. This car certainly wouldn't be my first choice for my first Volvo. If you're up for an expensive challenge that's different. Your "expert" might enjoy the trip but ask him if he would buy the car based on all of the photos. Ask for extra photos if you need to be sure about some things.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 18:22   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I think the bumpers are the "commando" type from a 240. These are deeper and wider than the late 140 ones.
No these are the correct bumpers for the car. 240 ones wrap around the sides much further
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 18:27   #13
danielm85948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six90 View Post
Thanks for your answer!

I agree, I'm not interested in reselling it , but you never know what your life will be.

I really love the color of this car.

The owner told me it has 7 seats ?????? So there will be room for 2 dogs , average size ?

I tried to find some suppliers for all the non original parts that we were talking about , but didn't find anyone selling the front seats , the bumpers etc

I attach two more pics.

thanks again,

s.
run away from this car ,it is a wreck you can see a lot of rust along the sills and the doors .and look in the engine bay .the last owner has been cutting hoses .and adding them in the wrong place . so run away from this car .it is only fit for a junk yard .get a 240 car better body work.
danielm85948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 18:29   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The price does sound high to me but you need to look and see what the values are in your area.

The interior problem is probably fairly common for you but over heat it survives much better.

The heater is most likely the heater valve.

At the right price I would happily buy it but over here it is probably only a £500 car
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 19:55   #15
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Default slight modification....

....fit a V8 in it and some proper brakes....just throw out the headliner and leave everything else as is...too expensive to restore to new but not too expensive to rat rod.....
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 08:54   #16
rocketron2

Default rust

two notorious areas of rust , which you are likely to find ONLY AFTER you have taken some bodypanels of
1==== the A-posts

2==== topsection of the body underneith both front wings

========================================
in the current condition the car is not worth euro 2000.

if you can not do welding yourself than you have a costly project.

================================================== =========

if you are really interested in a decent 145 , you might have to go to sweden,norway and search the market there

However, i suppose a 145 is a rare sight in italy ??????

=======================================

let us know how you have proceded ???
rocketron2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 15:44   #17
Six90

Hi guys,

I'm really happy I found this forum, you are really helping me to decide what to do.

2 experts checked all the pics I have and told me to give up unless I want to invest around 8 thousand euro in order to have the car "almost" in perfect conditions. ( including the 2k for the purchase of the car )

I show them this pic in order to show them what i'm intested in , with regards to level of restoration and they both agree that all the job will cost from 5 up to 7 , depending mainly at which price we will be able to find all the missing original parts and the conditions of the engine and mechanical parts.

A friend told me to be very careful, cause at the end they will come and say , that they were not aware of this and that and also that finding the original bumpers was very expensive and so on.

One of them told me that only painting , rust , and bodywork is around 2800-3200 euro.

this is the pic i show them :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_1...:Volvo_145.JPG

where is possibile to find these volvo from 60-70-80 totally restored?

Sweden, Norway , but all their website are not in english !!!!!!

I just came back from a trip with one of these 2 experts, we went to see to volvos for sale, amazon estate white 1966, i think bad condition, and 240 gl ( some little work to do , i think ), automatic from 1985

I think I'll wait a little to tell you truth , I don't wonna be in a rush, i wonna know and understand exactly what will be the total cost after full renovation.

**** !!!!!!!! is my first time in this "world" and im worry to do mistakes.

Maybe i'll post the pics of the 2 volvos i saw today , but im not sure im really interested.

I really love the amazon estate but i think that in order to have it in this condition : http://www.stationwagonforums.com/fo...ad.php?t=17899

something around 6.000 euro is gonna be needed

The expert told me that there were not different levels of trim and that he is not aware of leather seats ??????? I saw few times leather seats on the amazon estate, maybe he told this referring to the 1966 model, i dont know.

Also , he told me that the engine is modified and also the gear , because of the many problems he original ones were causing. Imported from the us in the sixties.

please if you are interested look at the posts with pics

Also i have doubts a certain level of restoration is gonna be possibile here , we have a lot of volvos from 80 and 90 , but very few from previous period.

again thanks to u all
Six90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 11:02   #18
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Hi Six90

Have you seen this http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C576511

Best of luch finding what you are looking for!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six90 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm really happy I found this forum, you are really helping me to decide what to do.

2 experts checked all the pics I have and told me to give up unless I want to invest around 8 thousand euro in order to have the car "almost" in perfect conditions. ( including the 2k for the purchase of the car )

I show them this pic in order to show them what i'm intested in , with regards to level of restoration and they both agree that all the job will cost from 5 up to 7 , depending mainly at which price we will be able to find all the missing original parts and the conditions of the engine and mechanical parts.

A friend told me to be very careful, cause at the end they will come and say , that they were not aware of this and that and also that finding the original bumpers was very expensive and so on.

One of them told me that only painting , rust , and bodywork is around 2800-3200 euro.

this is the pic i show them :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_1...:Volvo_145.JPG

where is possibile to find these volvo from 60-70-80 totally restored?

Sweden, Norway , but all their website are not in english !!!!!!

I just came back from a trip with one of these 2 experts, we went to see to volvos for sale, amazon estate white 1966, i think bad condition, and 240 gl ( some little work to do , i think ), automatic from 1985

I think I'll wait a little to tell you truth , I don't wonna be in a rush, i wonna know and understand exactly what will be the total cost after full renovation.

**** !!!!!!!! is my first time in this "world" and im worry to do mistakes.

Maybe i'll post the pics of the 2 volvos i saw today , but im not sure im really interested.

I really love the amazon estate but i think that in order to have it in this condition : http://www.stationwagonforums.com/fo...ad.php?t=17899

something around 6.000 euro is gonna be needed

The expert told me that there were not different levels of trim and that he is not aware of leather seats ??????? I saw few times leather seats on the amazon estate, maybe he told this referring to the 1966 model, i dont know.

Also , he told me that the engine is modified and also the gear , because of the many problems he original ones were causing. Imported from the us in the sixties.

please if you are interested look at the posts with pics

Also i have doubts a certain level of restoration is gonna be possibile here , we have a lot of volvos from 80 and 90 , but very few from previous period.

again thanks to u all
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 16:26   #19
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smalls View Post
Hi Six90

Have you seen this http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C576511

Best of luch finding what you are looking for!!
No longer for sale even though the advert is still live.
I know this because it is now keeping my other 145 company!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (407.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (339.1 KB, 9 views)
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 16:41   #20
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Hey Carlo!! nice one you got a fine bargain there I reckon

and is it the leather option inside???

well done !! (fan works great by the way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR678B View Post
No longer for sale even though the advert is still live.
I know this because it is now keeping my other 145 company!