Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Keyless Ignition Info Required

Views : 748

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 15:05   #1
Clive12

Default Keyless Ignition Info Required

Hi Guys

Can someone out there clue me up, Iv'e got a Volvo V70 and its keyless ignition.
I’ve not had keyless ignition before and I’ve found out the car can be opened just by simply having the key fob within signal receiver distance of the car.

Just as a little experiment for myself I open the car by having the key fob in my pocket and tried starting the car without pushing the key fob into the ignition aperture and sure enough the car started and I was also able to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock so obviously the steering lock had also disengaged.

My question is, why does the key fob need to be pushed into the ignition if the car can be started without it, ie is there something which will not work unless the fob is pushed into its aperture?

My thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Clive
Clive12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 19:08   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

its possible it needs to be in the dash to allow the shift leaver to move out of park.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 22:07   #3
agent006

If you've got keyless entry then the 'ignition' is just a handy holder for your key. You don't need to have the key in the ignition, you just have to have the key inside the car to be able to start the car and drive.
agent006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 22:22   #4
george57l
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive12 View Post
Hi Guys

why does the key fob need to be pushed into the ignition if the car can be started without it

Clive
It doesn't.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 22:24   #5
george57l
George

Quote:

why does the key fob need to be pushed into the ignition if the car can be started without it
It doesn't.

My keys live in my pockets all the time when I'm driving.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 22:29   #6
george57l
George

(Forum seems a bit knackered tonight. Got an 'out of storage' page earlier, threads take forever to load and now it duplicated my post as I edited it.)
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 23:12   #7
buick boy

A must is a faraday pouch Clive, for security. I expect it has been covered elsewhere on the forum . Fairly cheap to buy on fleabay etc .
buick boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 18:37   #8
Clive12

Thanks for your reply’s fellas

Simmy, no it’s not an automatic, I prefer the manual gearbox type as that’s all I’ve ever driven.

Agent006
Thanks for your reply, so the slot is more or less a handy cubbyhole to shove the key-fob in.

Buick boy
I’ll be buying one of those, I’m sure I read something a while back about opportunist being able connect with a key-fob even if it was in a drawer at the back of the house but I have to admit I did not pay too much attention to it at the time.

Modern technology! how on earth did I ever manage for the last sixty odd years or so having to physically push a key into the ignition and use all that effort to turn it in order to start the car .
Clive12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 12:00   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

The advantage of "keyless" entry (which it isn't, you have to bring the key with you, just not touch it) are these:
  • You can just pull the handle and you'll both unlock and open the door.
  • You can lock the car by pushing the small button on the outside of the handle.
  • You can start the car just by having the key somewhere inside the cabin, like in your pocket.

The key slot just beside the start button is used in cars having the standard key. It's also an emergency option if your fob runs out of power. If that happens you do like this:
  • Remove the hardware key from the fob.
  • Push the tip of the key from below up under the removable piece of trim on the driver's door's handle, to make that piece pop out.
  • Remove that plastic piece, insert the physical key in the lock under it and unlock the driver's door.
  • Open the door. The alarm will now go off.
  • Insert the fob in the key slot beside the engine start button and start the engine. This will silence the alarm as well.

When the fob is in the slot, reading out the code is powered inductively from the key slot, so that will work even without any battery in the fob.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 14:55   #10
FreshAir

Quote:
Buick boy
I’ll be buying one of those, I’m sure I read something a while back about opportunist being able connect with a key-fob even if it was in a drawer at the back of the house but I have to admit I did not pay too much attention to it at the time.
The thieves (other names can be used) appear to be using even bigger aerials now so it does not matter where in the house the key is. Pouch or box is a must unfortunately these days.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote