Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1997 V70 T5 mass airflow sensor

Views : 1062

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2023, 18:17   #1
Slabby1997

Default 1997 V70 T5 mass airflow sensor

Hey

I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to find a genuine Bosch mass airflow sensor (part number 0280217107) for my 1997 V70 T5. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find one?

I can find repro MAFs, such as https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/starl...eter-43466028s, but not the genuine Bosch item and I'm reluctant to fit non-OEM.

Is there an alternative sensor from a slightly later car that will fit or does it have to be the exact part number as mentioned above?

Are all non-Bosch MAFs rubbish? I've seen a few that are from well known brands, so maybe these would be OK?

Cheers!
Slabby1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 20:33   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

You are right to stick with Bosch as aftermarket sensors are known to cause unusual behaviour especially on turbocharged variants.

See a list of models listed in this thread by Turbodave. Maybe Dave can shed some light on his findings?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 20:58   #3
Slabby1997

Well it's looking very much like the Bosch MAF has been discontinued, which is frustrating to say the least. May have to go for an aftermarket alternative
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 22:21   #4
Alpine

there is a Volvo breakers in Huddersfield, try a Facebook search for them
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 08:02   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabby1997 View Post
Well it's looking very much like the Bosch MAF has been discontinued, which is frustrating to say the least. May have to go for an aftermarket alternative
Have you tried the main dealer by any chance? All this "discontinuation" of parts lately has me in something of a tizzy

Genuine Volvo 1275749 https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...499c8599b018f7 (exchange part)

Skandix brand? 1275749 https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...ensor/1017012/ (exchange part)

Bosch M4.4 https://www.europeantuning.com/Mass-...-M4-0280217107 (not available)

Bosch ME7 https://www.europeantuning.com/Webwi...Bosch-ME7.html

Aftermarket M4.4 https://www.rendcarparts.com/volvo/p...7/RD1275749JPG

I'm curious to know what exactly, save for maybe the connection fitting, is the difference between the two sensors and has anyone here successfully tried and fitted the later, much cheaper and readily available, 0280218108 in place of their 0280217107?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 11:00   #6
Slabby1997

I had a quote from the main dealer but it's £270 and a 7 to 10 day wait. If necessary I'll go for that, but I worry 7 to 10 days may turn into something longer.

I think the later MAF has 5 pins rather than 4.
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 11:08   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabby1997 View Post
I had a quote from the main dealer but it's £270 and a 7 to 10 day wait. If necessary I'll go for that, but I worry 7 to 10 days may turn into something longer.

I think the later MAF has 5 pins rather than 4.
The wait is to get it in from the classic warehouse in Sweden... I recently ordered a connector for a 1980 240 ignition unit that was 5 days . we should be grateful we can still get these parts !
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 11:23   #8
Slabby1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The wait is to get it in from the classic warehouse in Sweden... I recently ordered a connector for a 1980 240 ignition unit that was 5 days . we should be grateful we can still get these parts !
Well that doesn't sound too bad then. I've had experience of other vendors in the past that can take an age!

How did you order the part? Was it just through a local Volvo dealer?
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 20:16   #9
Turbodave
VOC Member

I posted up on a few Facebook pages, had a few people suggest they may have one but despite chasing... nothing ever materialised. I then found a chap who had a T-5 engine listed, took a chance and messaged to ask if he happened to have an air flow meter and it transpires, he did and he was also a very nice chap and so said used, but good Bosch air flow meter is in hand.

Though rather bizarrely, I had convinced myself mine had some aftermarket crap fitted and hence convinced myself that was the source of my running issues. So for weeks, I searched for a Bosch unit. Upon getting the replacement, I realised mine already had a Bosch item. However removed it and inspected it and found the outer "blade" on the electrical board that sits in the air flow was slightly out of line, touched it with a cotton bud and it fell off... so it was hanging by a thread.

Whether that was causing issues, I do not know however the replacement is now on and it appears better... but still not great, so that's a thread for another day. As for the mystery around the "non genuine" one I had convinced myself I had, can only assume it was on a previous car... I did have a V70R that I had for a week and moved on and thinking back, maybe it had the non genuine one fitted.

Who knows...
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 09:45   #10
Slabby1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
I posted up on a few Facebook pages, had a few people suggest they may have one but despite chasing... nothing ever materialised. I then found a chap who had a T-5 engine listed, took a chance and messaged to ask if he happened to have an air flow meter and it transpires, he did and he was also a very nice chap and so said used, but good Bosch air flow meter is in hand.

Though rather bizarrely, I had convinced myself mine had some aftermarket crap fitted and hence convinced myself that was the source of my running issues. So for weeks, I searched for a Bosch unit. Upon getting the replacement, I realised mine already had a Bosch item. However removed it and inspected it and found the outer "blade" on the electrical board that sits in the air flow was slightly out of line, touched it with a cotton bud and it fell off... so it was hanging by a thread.

Whether that was causing issues, I do not know however the replacement is now on and it appears better... but still not great, so that's a thread for another day. As for the mystery around the "non genuine" one I had convinced myself I had, can only assume it was on a previous car... I did have a V70R that I had for a week and moved on and thinking back, maybe it had the non genuine one fitted.

Who knows...
Used ones seem to be like hens teeth! I've hedged my bets a bit. I found a reasonably priced genuine Bosch one in the US on ebay and I've ordered that. I've also ordered a brand new one from Volvo directly. I can always sell the ebay one on if necessary.

Also found a few on Sweden's version of ebay, so that could be a potential source.