Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Horn ring / brushes & stalk - how to access?

Views : 134

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2024, 15:58   #1
eeedelli

Default Horn ring / brushes & stalk - how to access?

Hi all,

I'm coming towards MOT on my 940 Celebration and doing a few pre-MOT checks.

Horns have failed. Both are dead when tested and the connectors are hopelessly corroded too so I'm about to rewire with a pair of cheap wind tones with ¼-inch push on tags. (I'm planning to move them to somewhere near the grille but preferably out of the direct spray, as I did on my 740 a few years ago.)

However, while testing with a meter, I discovered that I've got a bit of a dead spot when the steering wheel is roughly straight ahead. (Probably not surprising as that's where it will have spent most of its life!) The buttons themselves both seem to give a good positive response on the meter when pressed while the wheel is off-centre but it drops in and out as you rotate the wheel while holding the buttons down, so I don't think it's the buttons themselves that are the issue here.

The question is how on earth do you get to the horn ring and carbon brush to check/clean/replace the latter without damaging the airbag module (and how do you get that out, too)? Haynes has the usual 'cop-out' response of 'entrust it to your dealer'!

Is it, perhaps, sufficiently accessible without removing the airbag & wheel for the purposes of spraying some switch cleaner down somewhere, perhaps after removing the cowling? (Having said that, one side of the indicator usually fails to cancel so, if that's also accessible without removing the wheel, that would be a bonus. Not sure what the issue is there - it *almost* cancels but not quite when turning right, except occasionally when it does - you hear it click as it should, on turning, but it usually doesn't cancel on return to straight ahead. Always works when turning left.)

If the brush does need replacing, what's the part number (and are they available via eBay etc. or only at stupid prices from Volvo)? (Exploded diagrams and parts lists (e.g. CatCar) don't seem to show these items.)
440 Xi '93 (barely run-in!)
eeedelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:05   #2
J liddy

Hi i removed steering wheel disconnect battery leave for half an hour there are 2 fixings for removing the steering wheel cover hub turn wheel 90 degrees you need a long reach torque fitting the holes are at the front of the hub be careful not to damage the clock spring on the steering wheel mount its a long time since I changed the steering wheel so my memory is Vague .the air bag treat with care place it in a safe place ie the boot
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote