Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just won a V40 on ebay

Views : 2945

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:34   #1
Combat Squirrel

Default Just won a V40 on ebay

Hi,

I just won a 2000 W Reg V40 1.9D SE on Ebay. I'm going to pick it up at the weekend. Although I have won the bid and therefore obligated to pay under ebay rules I am going with a very critical eye as the seller describes the car as "good condition" and "drives well". If it does not drive well he won't be getting my money, which is fair I'd say.

Being an 11 year old car I'm not naive and expect a few niggles and minor faults however. So what should I be looking out for? i.e. what signs should I look for that might pose potential problems in the future?

Just hoping I haven't got a lemon

Thanks for your help
Combat Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 06:42   #2
VanhireBoys

Well done lad... Go in with your eyes open ... Dont worry about dents and marks .. My car has that many I dont even notice....!

Make sure that the mechanical end is good.. and the engine dosent rattle or smoke ,there is no funky stuff in the expansion tank, and it pulls well ! Look at the usual stuff like clutch and suspension.. ! Its not a big drama to put a set of shocks in but a clutch will cost you on labour unless you are handy !

Do we have a link to afforementioned V40 ?
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 08:43   #3
sebaveh
Winegrover

My 50 cents: Wouldn't be wiser to see and check the car first, and after that join the auction?
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 09:01   #4
littlehomer
Master Member

Hey up,

Sometimes not possible to check before you buy.

Most eBay motor auctions I find are "bid to view" at the price.

If you turn up and the car is not as described, under the rules you can reject the item.

Cheers,

Daniel.
littlehomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:34   #5
Combat Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanhireBoys View Post
Well done lad... Go in with your eyes open ... Dont worry about dents and marks .. My car has that many I dont even notice....!

Make sure that the mechanical end is good.. and the engine dosent rattle or smoke ,there is no funky stuff in the expansion tank, and it pulls well ! Look at the usual stuff like clutch and suspension.. ! Its not a big drama to put a set of shocks in but a clutch will cost you on labour unless you are handy !

Do we have a link to afforementioned V40 ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Would only bid on cars with FSH. I don't think it has any tax, but at that price that's no bother. He appears to hve wanted around £1300 at the least for it but my luck not many people bid on it (it sat at £700 until 30s before the auction ended!).

My brother is a mechanic and I'm keen to get my hands dirty so clutch replacement shouldn't be too much of a drama. I owned an S40 Xi 3 years ago and really liked the comfortable ride. Considering my requirements these days it seemed like a good optiojn to return back to - added boot space is perfect too

Anything else to be aware? Any common faults/weak points on them?

Many thanks!
Combat Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 13:37   #6
Thommo

I recon you've got a real bargain there, especially including the personalised plate.
Thommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 14:15   #7
btsam
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Squirrel View Post

Anything else to be aware? Any common faults/weak points on them?

Many thanks!
nut behind the wheel

mine's awful

Showroom thread - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85795
btsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 16:02   #8
littlehomer
Master Member

Ha!

I know the car. I used to live in Leamington for years as a student.

So I'm sure I've seen it about. Either that or another Green V40 with V40 in the number plate!

Cheers,

Daniel.
littlehomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 17:27   #9
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Squirrel View Post
Hi,

I just won a 2000 W Reg V40 1.9D SE on Ebay. I'm going to pick it up at the weekend. Although I have won the bid and therefore obligated to pay under ebay rules I am going with a very critical eye as the seller describes the car as "good condition" and "drives well". If it does not drive well he won't be getting my money, which is fair I'd say.

Being an 11 year old car I'm not naive and expect a few niggles and minor faults however. So what should I be looking out for? i.e. what signs should I look for that might pose potential problems in the future?

Just hoping I haven't got a lemon

Thanks for your help
Have you run the ebay vehicle check or an HPI check to confirm not stolen/cloned/written off/outstanding finance?

Well worth while for peace of mind

Hope all goes well!
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 17:42   #10
Lancee
Premier Member

According to this guys e-bay feedback he seems to sell a lot of cars, maybe if he is a dealer you will get some implied warranty ???? But that could be doubtful. Good luck.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote