Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850R Tweaks?

Views : 956

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 19:29   #1
johnt850r

Default 850R Tweaks?

Looking, as ever for ways of enjoying my car more................

Am getting a little sick of turbo lag. Can anything be done short of removing turbo?(which would have adverse effect!!)

Also the new R models run with 300 bhp how is this acheived as I believe essentially it's the same "lump"
Be gratfeul for experiences

John
johnt850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 19:02   #2
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: 850R Tweaks?

>Looking, as ever for ways of enjoying my car
>more................
>
>Am getting a little sick of turbo lag. Can anything be done
>short of removing turbo?(which would have adverse effect!!)

Chip. Bigger turbo.

Engine mods... how much money have you got to spend? ;-)

>Also the new R models run with 300 bhp how is this acheived
>as I believe essentially it's the same "lump"
>Be gratfeul for experiences

Possibly bigger turbo (not sure). Perhaps beefed up engine internals, better turbo cooling and more boost pressure?

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 21:39   #3
Andy
Master Member

Default RE: 850R Tweaks?

>Looking, as ever for ways of enjoying my car
>more................

Oh no! Cut up your credit cards }(

I think it's something you have to live with on standing starts

I've gone the bigger turbo and chip route (19T, Rica, downpipe + cat) and trust me I still get jumped by normal cars from standstill when driving 'normally'. The lag is awful- nothing and then bang, whoosh, torque steer etc.

Don't get me wrong if I drop the clutch at say 2.5k I fly but this is not my usual stlye with the kids in the back. Much better to get the car going and then plant the right foot.

Once rolling this is where I can tell I've done things. It will pull and pull to the red line , 2mm off the standard boost guage on the dash. It will pull all the way off the clock aswell ;)

Video on the way soon...
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:24   #4
dr dolittle

The key with turbos is to MATCH them to the car or required perfromance characterisitics ... Big turbos are great for max power but cr&p for rapid spin-up - you actually want a smaller turbo ! I'd suggest shortening/strengthening your pressure side pipework as your best route if you've already gone for the big T/C and chip ...
Or you could try the F1 trick - put a spark plug in your turbo and change the fuel map so you actually ignite charge in the turbo to aid spin up !
Interstingly there are a new breed of electrically assisted turbos that will be on the road in a few years ... all the benefits of t/c with instantaneous response of a supercharger !!! very cool ....

All the best

S