Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 all weather 19” tyre recommendations

Views : 1129

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2020, 16:20   #1
pzctjf

Default V60 all weather 19” tyre recommendations

I have a 2019 V60 inscription pro with 19” alloys. I’m going to be swapping tyres soon and looking at all weather ones. My only problem is that for my current factory fitted tyres, 235/40/r19, there isn’t much all weather tyre choice and even summer ones are pretty expensive. I’ve read that you can move to a slightly different tyre size as long as it’s within a 2-3% threshold.

I’m considering moving to Michelin cross climate+ which make 245/40/r19 tyres which I think means at worst my speedo will be out my 1mph. I know I could then get Volvo to adjust the software to cope with the tyre change but wondering if these wider tyres are likely to cause me any problems like rubbing tyres?

My ideal would be a bigger sidewall maybe 45 or 50 for a better ride and to help with protecting the alloys from the kerbs. I have to park the car on a busy road alongside very high rough stone kerbs which are lethal for alloys. I guess I would need to change alloys for bigger sidewalls?

Anyway, anybody else with stock 235/40/r19” wheels that have bought decent all weather tyres that they could recommend.
pzctjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 17:16   #2
Richard M Knight

The Michelin website has this listed under Cross Climate+

235/40 R19 96Y XL
Richard M Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard M Knight For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 17:34   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzctjf View Post
I have a 2019 V60 inscription pro with 19” alloys. I’m going to be swapping tyres soon and looking at all weather ones. My only problem is that for my current factory fitted tyres, 235/40/r19, there isn’t much all weather tyre choice and even summer ones are pretty expensive. I’ve read that you can move to a slightly different tyre size as long as it’s within a 2-3% threshold.

I’m considering moving to Michelin cross climate+ which make 245/40/r19 tyres which I think means at worst my speedo will be out my 1mph. I know I could then get Volvo to adjust the software to cope with the tyre change but wondering if these wider tyres are likely to cause me any problems like rubbing tyres?

My ideal would be a bigger sidewall maybe 45 or 50 for a better ride and to help with protecting the alloys from the kerbs. I have to park the car on a busy road alongside very high rough stone kerbs which are lethal for alloys. I guess I would need to change alloys for bigger sidewalls?

Anyway, anybody else with stock 235/40/r19” wheels that have bought decent all weather tyres that they could recommend.

The percentage change you are proposing is 1.88%, with a circumference increase of 8mm. That should be acceptable. About 9mm being the limit.
I personally would reduce the rim size to 18”, to give you the better rid you are after but that would of course require new rims as well as tyres. So expensive.

Last edited by Deck1ng; Dec 26th, 2020 at 17:40.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 04:42   #4
JJJ

I would just swop the wheels with someone driving a Momentum model, as locally, these come with 17" and 18" wheels.

However, to keep the overall diameter the same, 18" wheels could at best be a 45 profile. For a better ride, you want to go to a 55 profile.

Even a 17" rim would only get you to a 50 profile if maintaining the same diameter rubber. If you go to 55 from here, the diameter would be 3% larger, plus you get 10mm of additional ground clearance. The speedo should now be spot-on.

So the other guy gets the zoot performance wheel upgrade to the next model and you get the improved ride with much better robustness against rim dents caused by potholes "downgrade".

Win-win :-).

PS: You are not the first guy to want to do this. This is how I bought my second rim set for the offroad tyres for my XC60 - someone tiring of rim repairs of exactly your combination on his S60.

Last edited by JJJ; Dec 27th, 2020 at 04:51.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 09:31   #5
TeamG
Master Member

Yes, larger wheels have little or no benefit in the real world as few of us ever use our Volvos for track days.

My XC60 has 235/60 R18 for summer tyres and 235/65 R17 for winter. The 18s run at the economy pressure and the 17s at the standard pressure. The 17s are about perfect for South Wales roads as the alloy clears most kerbs and potholes (I say most, as I’ve been weekly reporting a pothole 7 houses up that is currently 110mm deep). The 17s are far more comfortable for the passengers too, and tyres £30-40 cheaper each than the 18” equivalents.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 10:23   #6
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
The 17s are about perfect for South Wales roads as the alloy clears most kerbs and potholes (I say most, as I’ve been weekly reporting a pothole 7 houses up that is currently 110mm deep). The 17s are far more comfortable for the passengers too, and tyres £30-40 cheaper each than the 18” equivalents.
I have a very similar set up and location ..... where is the monster pot hole btw? Due to reduced mileage I haven’t bothered with my 17” winter wheels yet this year. In fact wasn’t going to bother with them at all as I was going to fit cross climates when the 18” wheels tyres were worn out. Due to covid they may well last another year....

Last edited by HDAV; Dec 27th, 2020 at 10:25.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 12:24   #7
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I have a very similar set up and location ..... where is the monster pot hole btw? Due to reduced mileage I haven’t bothered with my 17” winter wheels yet this year. In fact wasn’t going to bother with them at all as I was going to fit cross climates when the 18” wheels tyres were worn out. Due to covid they may well last another year....
Penarth - pretty much every street looks like the surface of the moon in winter due to years of underinvestment and neglect by the Vale of Glamorgan Council.

I too intended to put cross climates on the 18” alloys, but with 7mm of tread left on the summer tyres and having driven around 1000 miles since March it seemed wasteful. The winter wheels/tyres I picked up from a nice chap on here for less than the cost of a pair of cross climates. The Michelin Latitude Alpines on them have a good 4.5mm tread, but are dated 2012 so I’ll probably put new winters on them next summer (winter tyres tend to go fairly cheaply then).
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 18:54   #8
pzctjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M Knight View Post
The Michelin website has this listed under Cross Climate+

235/40 R19 96Y XL
Thats good to know, I checked a lot of the online tyre places and none of them were showing the Michelins in 235/40/r19 so either they are really popular or not made in large quantities for the UK market. I've just done another check just now and managed to find them on Asdatyres of all places though at a pricey £207 fitted per tyre.

I like the look of the 19" wheels but I think longer term I'll probably get a set of 17" or 18" wheels for the practicality. Ideally I need to get some cross climate on the car soon as driving in the peak district at this time of year on summer tyres can be a bit dicey.

I was half hoping to put my spare set of 16" alloys on (from my previous ford car) just for the winter months. They have pretty new winter/cross climates on but annoyingly the brakes are too big on the Volvo for them to fit, so looks like I'll be selling those to pay towards the new tyres.
pzctjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 20:08   #9
Deck1ng
Master Member

[QUOTE
I was half hoping to put my spare set of 16" alloys on (from my previous ford car) just for the winter months. They have pretty new winter/cross climates on but annoyingly the brakes are too big on the Volvo for them to fit, so looks like I'll be selling those to pay towards the new tyres.[/QUOTE]

This will be a possible problem dropping a rim size, a fellow member recently could not fit 17” rims as the callipers rubbed from IIRC 18” rims.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 17:29   #10
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post

This will be a possible problem dropping a rim size, a fellow member recently could not fit 17” rims as the callipers rubbed from IIRC 18” rims.
If you have the same size tyres and wheels as the model of car came with it should be fine check the manual it usually lists the tyre and wheel sizes

Not been to penarth for ages........ not allowed ...... I would worry about the date codes on the winters as long as stored correctly they probably have a few years life left as they are different compound biggest issue are our random hot/warm days and weeks in feb followed snow in March April 🙈
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote