Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car Chipping

Views : 974

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 14:51   #1
NugentS
Me

Default Car Chipping

If I get my car chipped, something that I am considering, what exactly does this do.

I know the effect - more torque & HP, but not how it does it...

Anyone ?

Sean
S70 2.5T
NugentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 18:57   #2
karlp

A chip essentially alters the cars ignition timing and any other parameters it can adjust in order to get better efficiency from the engine.
If a car has variable valve timing that is controlled by the ECU then it can adjust also.

The main parameters will be boost (if turbo). As the cylinders have a defined volume the only way of getting more fuel in is by compressing more into the available space. Increasing the boost parameter will increse the pressure and therefore get more fuel. The boost pressure MUST be controlled as too much boost at low RPM will can cause the conrods to bend.
More boost does not necessarily mean more power as it can work against you.
Timing - getting the fuel to ingite at the correct time is important. THe chip will alter this to suit.

That is a simpilfied explanation.

Karl

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:55   #3
NugentS
Me

Default RE: Car Chipping

So - what are the downsides - if any?

Sean
NugentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 10:20   #4
Andy
Master Member

UUUUuuuummmmm......

In my opinion none apart from insurance and higher maintainance costs.

Just don't chip a car that has unresolved mechanical problems because they won't go away and will cause more problems.

Be prepared to run it on Optimax (possibly) and give it TLC with more frequent oil changes. After all it is being 'stressed' more than before.

Research before you buy, they are not all the same.

Why have to use bleed valves on a turbo car with a chip when another manufacturers chip would have had this programmed into it!!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:33   #5
tllewellin

The downside, consider resale value, I saw some adverts for 850 that were chipped, and avioded those when I was looking for a car, for me chipped car also means hammered car! cheers Tim
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 14:45   #6
liuleichan
Premier Member

>If I get my car chipped, something that I am considering,
>what exactly does this do.

With a turbocharged car, can be anything from increasing max boost, affecting / altering electronic wastegate control, messing with timing or fueling, altering rev limit.

Most likely with a turbo-d car, messing with boost pressure and wastegate control.

>I know the effect - more torque & HP, but not how it does
>it...
>
>Anyone ?

See above - with a turbo-d car, this can change the characteristics of the engine - perhaps make the turbo more effective at lower revs.

As you have the 2.5T, that's probably not an issue. But as you do have the 2.5T I don't think it has the cylinder mods / improvements that the T5s have (explaining the slight reduction in capacity) which may concern you, given higher boost.

Personally - given your engine, I wouldn't. Were it a T5 or R, I probably wouldn't be as cautious.

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:06   #7
karlp

The only real downsides are:

1. Insurance - many companies will not insure you.

2. Increased engine wear - but this only occurs when you use the extra power obtained from the chip. So if you are not running at full throttle all the time (and hence full boost), there should not be any differences.

Some chipping actually makes the car more drivable - because it alters the torque curve to put max torque in a more suitable rpm range.

Karl
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:18   #8
burchi

Hi Karl

On this subject of chipping, I was talking to Don Norchi yesterday on amongst other things, chipping my 1998 V70 R AWD. I have been looking at the TME system and also the RICA system. I will only use a re-map and not a "piggy-back" chip. I know you have the RICA chip on your car but Don seemed to think that you had some issues surrounding the chip/supplier.

I like the idea of the RICA as it is a higher output than the TME but, would appreciate your comments on what you think of the product and also the dealer/provider of the upgrade.

Thanks

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote