Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Maximum wheel width on an Amazon

Views : 862

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 19:37   #1
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Default Maximum wheel width on an Amazon

I may be getting close to getting some Type Ds for my car.

they're 15" x 7. Will they fit under my arches without protruding?

Will I need spacers and will I still get full lock (stupid question)?
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 20:00   #2
stumph

Those type IIs I had on mine were 17x7. I was told the previous owner got them on with no spacers but I never checked. I think Archieboy fitted spacers on the front to clear the discs but I can't remember how big. They didn't protrude at all. Do they come in more than one offset? Oh, and no problem with full lock. I was always pretty impressed with the turning circle!
stumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 23:43   #3
222s
Amazoniste

They should fit, provided that the offset isn't something strange. Presumably the ones you're looking at are regular Mustang fitment? However you might need a small spacer to clear the front calipers (my Ansens needed 3mm ones) but I believe that the difference between a regular Torq Thrust and a Torq Thrust D is that the D is supposed to be designed to clear disc brakes. However that may only apply to US brake set-ups.

Also, choose your tyres carefully though - I recommend against anything bigger in diameter than a 205/65R15 (which is pretty much the correct rolling radius). E.g. a 205/70R15 will become explicitly intimate with the front wheelarches even at standard ride height....... Having dealt with my arches (BFH on the inner lip - looks completely normal from outside) to accommodate the 70s, with the 65s I never have any problems at all, and have full clearance and lock, even fully laden! Obviously I don't know if the 65s would have been ok with the standard arches but I think it would have been pretty tight at the front of the arch.

This site is very good for looking at tyre size and offsets etc:

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Nov 7th, 2008 at 23:47.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 17:21   #4
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
They should fit, provided that the offset isn't something strange. Presumably the ones you're looking at are regular Mustang fitment? However you might need a small spacer to clear the front calipers (my Ansens needed 3mm ones) but I believe that the difference between a regular Torq Thrust and a Torq Thrust D is that the D is supposed to be designed to clear disc brakes. However that may only apply to US brake set-ups.

Also, choose your tyres carefully though - I recommend against anything bigger in diameter than a 205/65R15 (which is pretty much the correct rolling radius). E.g. a 205/70R15 will become explicitly intimate with the front wheelarches even at standard ride height....... Having dealt with my arches (BFH on the inner lip - looks completely normal from outside) to accommodate the 70s, with the 65s I never have any problems at all, and have full clearance and lock, even fully laden! Obviously I don't know if the 65s would have been ok with the standard arches but I think it would have been pretty tight at the front of the arch.

This site is very good for looking at tyre size and offsets etc:

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp
Interesting. Where did you get the spacers from? Did you use the OEM nuts on the Ansens?

I've got a pair of sunvisors if you need them as well.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 18:38   #5
222s
Amazoniste

The spacers were the universal multi-PCD type from Halfords. As for the nuts, I was lucky and the wheels came with a set of the internal threaded bolts - turns out that a '63 Ford Galaxie has the same wheel stud thread as an Amazon!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 00:03   #6
loon

iv had 14x8 on my 2dr amazon the clearence problem that archiboy had i also had but i used a grinder on the caliper to shave off about 2 mm were it touched only ( not a bodge just thinking outside the box) it worked for me with the wheels that i had but thats not to say it will work for you.

LN
loon is offline   Reply With Quote