Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent advice needed,please help me someone,any advice received with great appreciati

Views : 1109

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 13:48   #1
i saw it first its mine

Exclamation Urgent advice needed,please help me someone,any advice received with great appreciati

just registered to ask a question,not actually got a volvo s40 or v50.

ive been going around a lot of volvo dealers haggling over the prices of their cars,kicking the tyres,taking testdrives,discussing finance options but not actually placing a deposit!

thats because i need some sound advice first and hoped someone here might indulge.

i love volvos in general but hate the ford focus estate .my sisters feels incredibly cheap and shoddy,the suspension is floaty,the parts seem inferior,the panel gaps are awful,the seats are unsupportive,the dashboard modern but not in a nice way,the clock looks like its out of a cornflake packet,the alloy wheels are miserly in size and appearance,the cabin has an echo which switzerland could not compete with,the key itself is an embarassment,the removeable panel of the radio,and the cd itself looks like something rejected by goodmans as too insulting to their customers,the glass looks very thin(subjectively),the gearlever is so shoddy i would have to show you so we could laugh together out loud.ford,what have you been doing for the last 15 years,theres been no product development at all!

sorry about that,im feeling a lot better now,i must get out more.ok,so heres my question,would i be buying a vastly inflated in price ford focus estate,albeit very well disguised,or something that i have now come to expect,a refined quality car to rival the 3 series bmw or audi a6

money really isnt that important,although if i see it first it is indeed mine

thankyou all for reading this post and considering my question

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 13:53   #2
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up

Hi, welcome to the forum. Just to let you know that the Volvo Owners Club has an arrangement with Volvo UK giving a discount to any member buying a new car, have a look at this link for details: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/buying-a-new-volvo.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by i saw it first its mine View Post
just registered to ask a question,not actually got a volvo s40 or v50.

ive been going around a lot of volvo dealers haggling over the prices of their cars,kicking the tyres,taking testdrives,discussing finance options but not actually placing a deposit!

thats because i need some sound advice first and hoped someone here might indulge.

i love volvos in general but hate the ford focus estate .my sisters feels incredibly cheap and shoddy,the suspension is floaty,the parts seem inferior,the panel gaps are awful,the seats are unsupportive,the dashboard modern but not in a nice way,the clock looks like its out of a cornflake packet,the alloy wheels are miserly in size and appearance,the cabin has an echo which switzerland could not compete with,the key itself is an embarassment,the removeable panel of the radio,and the cd itself looks like something rejected by goodmans as too insulting to their customers,the glass looks very thin(subjectively),the gearlever is so shoddy i would have to show you so we could laugh together out loud.ford,what have you been doing for the last 15 years,theres been no product development at all!

sorry about that,im feeling a lot better now,i must get out more.ok,so heres my question,would i be buying a vastly inflated in price ford focus estate,albeit very well disguised,or something that i have now come to expect,a refined quality car to rival the 3 series bmw or audi a6

money really isnt that important,although if i see it first it is indeed mine

thankyou all for reading this post and considering my question

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 14:00   #3
robg

I drive focus estate 1.6lx diesels at work alot. I own a V50 D5 SE. The suspension and handling is similar, the volvo is slightly harder riding than the focus.

The only other aspect of the V50 which reminds me i am in a glorified ford is it has couple of annoying little rattles in the dash. However, the V50 is a truly excellent comfortable place to spend a long journey. Watch out if you are intending on carrying a large load, the boot space is smaller and more difficult to acces than the focus.

Hope this helps
rob
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 14:46   #4
i saw it first its mine

im just going out to look at some more, ill let you know how i get on,thanks again
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 16:04   #5
Marmoset

The v50's better built than any of the Ford's I've previously owned. Paint quality is especially good and when I'm under the car (checking tyres etc) I'm always struck by how much attention to detail there is on parts that are unseen.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 20:55   #6
ali.b

I'm currently in correspondence with Volvo cars UK. Bought an S40 in May and had a new clutch put in within 4 months. Reverse gear crunches when selected if you do not give it time after depressing the clutch. Have been told by Volvo that the 1.6 engine does not have syncromesh on reverse but all other power plants do.
Currently complaining about their claim of quality not applying accross the board. Keep away from the 1.6 after all it is just a 1.6 Focus engine and box
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 21:45   #7
i saw it first its mine

my sisters got the 1.6 fous estate,does this mean the engine,electronics for it and gearbox are likewise ford?how about the suspension?the only reason i ask is that the wheelbase looks the same in length as ny suisters,but maybe wider

Note to myself:i must be polite!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 23:42   #8
mark2jag

Default Make sure its not got a kippered clutch m8

Ali.b, just read your post and im in middle of some major league arguments with volvo/kings of winchester ref a kippered clutch in my s40 1.6 diesel. Its gone at 12000 miles and they dont want to know. Interesting you say no synchromesh on reverse, but does anyone know if it strengthens my case for having them pay for a new clutch and installation.. Only had it 5 or 6 months too, I could cry if i wasnt such a big burly bloke,lol
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 19:56   #9
ali.b

Mark see message sent personnaly. forgot to mention Mill Volvo of Stockton been very helpful so far