Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 heater in cold weather

Views : 1829

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 22:33   #1
robg

Default D5 heater in cold weather

I got in the car for a 10 mile journey this eve. Display showing 5 deg C. I thought it was gonna take ages for this big diesel lump to warm up. The car has been parked since the weekend. I put on my heated seat and in less than 90 seconds or about 1/4 mile the heater is blowing warm air! The heated seats were only just starting to work. Fantastic!! It still took about 3 miles for the engine temp to show much heat.

So how does it work???

I thought it could be the air con being used in reverse as a heat pump so i turned AC off but the air remained warm. Anyone know how they do it?

rob
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 13:40   #2
seany
Not So Senior Member

I too am mightily impressed at the low warm up time for the D5 (S60)

All my previous diesels were barely warm by the time i got to work

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.
seany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 22:13   #3
treidlia

Its mightily impressive in the 2.0D also.

Form perusla of the engine compartment (in the 2.0D) there seems to be a direct coolant circuit to take heat from the exhaust manifold to the passenger cabin heater matrix. So the heater matrix gets heated up prior to the engine getting up to temperature. I'm not too sure if it is a separate circuit or part of the main circuit, but I don't seee the dash thermometer coming up particularly quiclky, so it looks to me like some sort of an ancilliary circuit.

Anyone confirm/refute my theory?
treidlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 14:20   #4
i saw it first its mine

either the heaters doing great or youve got an engine fire!makes me remember the british gas ad,`come home to a real fire`!

could it be that the hot air to the cabin is fed straight from the crankcase,because this warms up first,and then is warmed by the heater matrix from the radiator.its a real puzzler
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 16:37   #5
Viper_7
Premier Member

when it's around 5c like it was this morning I've got to travel about 7 miles before the water Temperature gauge is normal.
It takes about two miles before it even thinks about moving!

but yes the heat comes through quite soon - I wouldn't say hot! but it's warmer then the engine temp would have you belive.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 20:13   #6
ptecuk
2005 S40 2.0D SE Sport

I believe diesels for cold climates are fitted with a PTC heater that operates immediately. It is electrical which has a low resistance at low temperatures and therefore takes more electrical current and can give up to a maximum of 1000 watts of heat. As temperature increases the resistance increases and the current and heat decreases. I have a UK S40 2.0 litre diesel that also warms the cabin quickly in cold weather. I am not sure whether this is fitted to all diesels or just those for cold climate markets. If the latter then perhaps the UK is considered a cold climate.
ptecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 21:07   #7
7050man
Master Member

Just to add my twopenneth. Agree with all above comments. Vents do start to blow warm air way before temp gauge has moved.
In these cars in certain countries, Volvo appear to fit two types of pre heaters to their cars.
There is either a diesel heater or electric mains powered plug in type. These are designed to warm the engine block prior to engine starting, not only to ensure quick warm up under very cold conditions, but also to improve fuel economy.

This idea must be a Swedish thing as my previous car (3.0 TiD V6 Saab 95) had one of these and it was very effective as you could program it to come on at certain times and it would warm the entire cabin as well as the engine block. It had to be used regularly or the oil jets would block.The other thing was that it would run the climate control and so if you left it on for more than 30 mins, then there was a risk it would kill the battery. It also sounded like a jet engine when running, which used to get a few funny looks from the uninitiated. I managed to fool the kids for a few weeks that it had a "jet engine for rapid overtaking" (it was a quick car as well).

It would be good if Volvo put this on the UK options list, I'd certainly specify one on my car.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 21:49   #8
i saw it first its mine

if it runs at a kilowatt,does that mean you plug it into the mains like the old landrovers overnight