Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR replacement - shouldn't Volvo be paying?

Views : 1330

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:17   #1
v50chrisd

Default EGR replacement - shouldn't Volvo be paying?

Hi. New member here so apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I recently had my egr valve replaced (55 plate v50, 45000 miles) by a dealer due to intermittent total loss of power (even with clutch in it would take about 3 to 4 seconds to go from idle to 3000rpm). The dealer contacted Volvo who agreed to pay 50% (turned ouyt to be 50% of the parts cost) so reduced the bill to about £240.

However, having read this (very useful) forum, I can't help but think that Volvo should be paying for the whole job despite it being out of warranty. This feeling is based on the fact that they are now installing a different valve therfore have recognised that the previous design was not suitable. It did leave me in some precarious situations which could have been dangerous so I could not ignore it. Am I being unreasonable and if not does anyone know how I can pursue it?
v50chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 14:42   #2
southportvolvo
Trader

Unhappy Warranty

You were lucky to get Volvo to stump up for half the cost, they usually fob people off if it's out of warranty.

We've had customers try to persue it further, all to no avail. Once Volvo have decided on a settlement cost, that's generally it.
southportvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 16:02   #3
v50Dom
Happy Volvo Driver

I had the EGR issue a few months ago, the car was 2 months out of warranty.

Volvo paid 50% of both labour and parts for my replacement EGR. It cost me £150. Perhaps I'm lucky and have a reasonably good Dealer - the Dealer sorted the discount for me.
v50Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:48   #4
John_C
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50chrisd View Post
I can't help but think that Volvo should be paying for the whole job despite it being out of warranty. This feeling is based on the fact that they are now installing a different valve therfore have recognised that the previous design was not suitable.
Volvo would no doubt argue that the different part is due to a policy of constant improvement or some such and deny it's due to any inherant weakness in the old EGR valve.

I think you've done quite well to get a contribution on a car which is out of warranty TBH.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 13:32   #5
v50chrisd

Thanks very much for your views. Albeit a very small sample of 2 people, it would seem that EGR replacement costs about £300 but worth pursuing around a 50% contribution form Volvo if you're not long out of warranty (I was about 7 months out - maybe that's why I got parts only!).

I doubt I will ever totally rid my mind of the thought that this should be dealt with by Volvo as a design fault and combined with various other issues/disappointments I've had (door wiring loom, washer bottle replacement, headlight washer hose coming off, relatively poor fuel economy) I would think very hard before buying another Volvo - a real shame.
v50chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 00:13   #6
DeeJ
Trader

When i have plugged in my diagnostic tool it has come up with EGR problems.
So this may indicate that it could be on its way out, but I have had not one single loss of power.

But if I go to Volvo and argue you reckon I could get it sorted, or do you reckon I would have to wait til it packed up?
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 13:39   #7
Geordie C30
C30 rules O.K.

I had an EGR warning light showing (diesel engine) last Christmas so I tried using a fuel additive, Millers, and half way through the second tank of fuel with the additive in the light went out and has stayed out. The system is working as the warning light comes on with the ignition but goes out when the engine is started and the car has since passed its MOT. It's worth a tenner to try this first.
Geordie C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 21:16   #8
KBB
Master Tech

EGR issue account for about 25% of running issues most indipendent workshops see and thats all makes. In all cases the EGR valve is caked with carbon and becomes sezed usuay in the open position hence the poor running issues due to a lean missfire condition. Limited sucess with cleaning but the problem returns. Common practice on a number of makes to do a by pass and install a blanking plate with gasket, the valve functions on demand but is no longer in contact with exhaust gasses. Volvo, Renult, Vauxhall, citrone, Ford to name but a few
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr, v50