Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is a V50 T5 really that slow?

Views : 3524

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 19:13   #1
Simon J
Premier Member

Default Is a V50 T5 really that slow?

We recently bought an '04 V50 T5 auto to complement our C70 T5 which really isn't very convenient when humping grandchildren into their car seats in the back of it. Now while the V50 is very nice to drive (and much more convenient for the kids' car seats!), it doesn't have anything like the performance of the C70 despite having a bigger engine. It's smooth but simply lacks the grunt of the 2.3 T5. Is this typical? If so, it hardly qualifies as a T5 methinks!

Anyone else any comparable experience of V50 T5s versus proper T5s?
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 19:47   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Well, for a start, the engine capacity may be bigger but the BHP is lower, 226bhp in the V50 against 240bhp in the C70.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 21:22   #3
John_C
Allons-y!

It may feel slower as the newer T5's don't have the same boost "kick" as the classic T5's but there shouldn't be a huge difference in actual performance. I've driven a couple of the new T5's and they are deceptively quick because they are so smooth but they are down on power as hammy said and for me they lack the adrenaline kick of the boost coming in strongly which you get from the older engine.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 21:24   #4
Simon J
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
Well, for a start, the engine capacity may be bigger but the BHP is lower, 226bhp in the V50 against 240bhp in the C70.
True, but I wouldn't have thought that 14 bhp at max revs would make much difference in terms of low end grunt. And while the torque figures also give the C70 a slight advantage, once again it's not all that much - 243 ft lbs vs 236 ft lbs - and not enough I would have thought to make the very noticeable difference that I experience on the road. The V50 simply lacks the real get up and go of the C70 although its road test acceleration figures would suggest that it's actually faster. Maybe I need to put them side by side on a suitably deserted road!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 21:27   #5
dave4542
VOC Member

Maybe I need to put them side by side on a suitably deserted road!

Now that would be fun........

Dave
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:25   #6
MavUK

I haven't tested actual figures, but my T5 AWD certainly seems *very* quick (I'm sure it does 0-60 in the time Volvo says it should and it has 114000 KM's on it). But as said before it really doesn't feel it. You only notice it when you look at the clock.
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 09:02   #7
don kalmar union
Trader

The T5 engine in the current small Volvos is stricktly a low pressure turbo engine with a high compression ratio.

That said it can be improved by those who understand its weaknesses, those being principally associated with having a wide bore and close bore spacings as with the now defunct 'R' engine.

A good basic software upgrade will give arround 260bhp, further increases in boost will really need the addition of a larger intercooler as the original is quite small. And with the further addition of a full aftermarket exhaust system you will be arround the 280bhp mark.....making these cars, in all their configurations, pretty damn sprightly. The next step is a reworked standard turbo........

So, from a basic software upgrade a very safe and sound 260bhp is on the cards for a minimum £400. The next stage is more costly in that you really need the bigger intercooler and complete exhaust replacement at arround the £1500 mark to get a safe and effective package.

I have done most of my KU/MTE development work for this chassis and engine combination with my own Focus ST which is the same in all respects as these small Volvos.

If anyone with one of these small Volvos wants some experience of 285bhp plus in one of these chassis I am up for some trial runs....

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Nov 10th, 2008 at 09:05.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 09:05   #8
mole

If you want to keep the refinement and smoothness then you could contact Don about an MTE map for it as I know they make a huge difference on your engine. Unlike most maps for the newer T5's they are progressive.

Last edited by mole; Nov 10th, 2008 at 09:06. Reason: Looks like I'm too slow at typing lol.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 10:50   #9
Simon J
Premier Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Don, but I have no plans whatsoever to tweak the V50 as it was bought primarily for hauling the grandkids around. I was just curious as to why it seemed so much less impressive, performance wise, than the old T5. It was pure chance that we ended up with another T5 - we were in the market for a 'family' car and my local dealer had this on the lot and it had all the goodies that we like, i.e. auto box, Dolby sound, green metallic paint, cream leather interior, etc. etc. Being a T5 was a bonus but all in all , it was just as we would have ticked the option list had we been buying it new, but at a lot less money.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 20:54   #10
jmarkha1

How would you remap my T5 V50 auto? - ECU sent to Sweden or OBD port? - any advice appreciated - I love the car but the performance is not as strong as I expected (after owning an early T5R) - different map and so on...
thanks in advance for anyinfo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
The T5 engine in the current small Volvos is stricktly a low pressure turbo engine with a high compression ratio.

That said it can be improved by those who understand its weaknesses, those being principally associated with having a wide bore and close bore spacings as with the now defunct 'R' engine.

A good basic software upgrade will give arround 260bhp, further increases in boost will really need the addition of a larger intercooler as the original is quite small. And with the further addition of a full aftermarket exhaust system you will be arround the 280bhp mark.....making these cars, in all their configurations, pretty damn sprightly. The next step is a reworked standard turbo........

So, from a basic software upgrade a very safe and sound 260bhp is on the cards for a minimum £400. The next stage is more costly in that you really need the bigger intercooler and complete exhaust replacement at arround the £1500 mark to get a safe and effective package.

I have done most of my KU/MTE development work for this chassis and engine combination with my own Focus ST which is the same in all respects as these small Volvos.

If anyone with one of these small Volvos wants some experience of 285bhp plus in one of these chassis I am up for some trial runs....

Regards, Don.
jmarkha1 is offline   Reply With Quote