Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY Mapping?

Views : 4627

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:12   #21
Wobbly Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Good work dave, keep up the advertising - are you getting a % fee!!

but are you being serious in regards to WB commander? its basically just a wideband guage and a simple boost controlled switch. I cant wait to see it fitted on a car.

However, if you want to go that route just buy a simple mbc, boost guage and an a/f guage.
I was merely pointing it out as an alternative. I dont really understand it. I think there is more to it than that. But hey its a free world.

I pay for my stuff the same as everybody else - so other than being loyal to my friends.

So in order to even things up a bit

Bobcat and Stuart can tune your car

So can Don Norchi. I suggest you contact them for more info

Happy now?
Wobbly Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:30   #22
don kalmar union
Trader

And, for that kind money you will get a well written MTE package which will not be bettered. No stand alone, soldering, bleed valves......

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:42   #23
RiPsTa33
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
And, for that kind money you will get a well written MTE package which will not be bettered. No stand alone, soldering, bleed valves......

Regards, Don.
So are you saying that for £400 you have the best package available? What are the advantages of the MTE software over any others?
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:51   #24
Wobbly Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Nice to see you've read all of the posts Dave

I'm not sure that the Wonderbar T5 WB Commander would work for a T5 engine that's been retrofitted into his vehicle with his current ECU etc.

Either way the WB Commander IIRC starts at £400 and is nothing special, being quite a simple afr box, with a few extras like a couple of analogue inputs and a possibility of a few relay outputs....

At a UK STARTING price of £400 it's exceedingly expensive imho for very little benefit (the price in the states is @£270)
I have asked Ad purely to get a better picture and apparently WB is not appropriate for this situation. I was only remarking upon it based on the title and the questions originally asked - namely I was only trying to help.

WB commander solution for the T5 is used with custom developed hardware and is programmable.

I am saying nothing more and would like to leave it at that. Insider can berate me for not having read all of it - I tried to avoid the b8ll****.

If ripstaa33 is interested then he can make his own mind up.

I know one thing for certain if you have an LPT and want to make it a T5 - buy a T5 to start with!!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:54   #25
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPsTa33 View Post
Whats the problem with WB commander? If i use a simple mbc, boost guage and an a/f guage am i not just going to hit boost limits with the standard ecu?
check insiders post above, either its very expensive to buy or someones trying to make a lot of profit. as mentioned, in my view its a rip-off considering the functions it has.

but im sure the are certain type of t5 owners that would snap it up!
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:35   #26
don kalmar union
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPsTa33 View Post
So are you saying that for £400 you have the best package available? What are the advantages of the MTE software over any others?
Indeed for £299 including VAT the installation of MTE software in all Bosch motronic 4.3 and 4.4 Volvo ECU's is outstanding value for money.

MTE have complete access to all fields within these ECU's and indeed the very latest ME7 and ME9's. They can callibrate all the maps that are relevant to the increase in outputs of all Volvo petrol cars, particularly to gain the best from all hardware additions, unlike competitors who only attend at best to boost, fuelling and timing. Additionally, their understanding of all aspects of the earlier 4.3 and 4.4's means that it can all be done without opening them and soldering and resoldering carrier boards, chips etc. and in some competative cases the fitment of a bleed valve to gain additional boost.

The other point is that MTE software is sold on the basis of honestly stated figures which are allways obtainable on third party rolling roads..

The £400 was a ball park figure for the additional cost of finessing a stock map to suit the original poster's need.

I would also point out that MTE software from MY '09 on costs a minimum of £511 including VAT.

Regards, Don.Norchi.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 13:35   #27
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post

I know one thing for certain if you have an LPT and want to make it a T5 - buy a T5 to start with!!
Nah, cos his has AWD.

An 850 AWD T5 sounds a fun project
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 13:37   #28
bobcat
Premier Member

Just to give you an idea of what the inside of your ecu looks like, here are some screen shots of a 4.4 t5 ecu dumped into a shareware tuning program.

below is the data in its raw format, to give an idea of how much there is, look at the scroll bar.

below is a snipit in a more graphical form.

Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 14:14   #29
RiPsTa33
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac View Post
Nah, cos his has AWD.

An 850 AWD T5 sounds a fun project
Spot on imac, i like my 855 AWD and i dont want a T5. What i do want is to make my AWD faster without looking at cracked cylinders therefore i have bought a T5 engine to put into it. I will need a re-map and thought i might be able to do it myself with some help from the friendly people on this forum. After looking at that data from bobcat i can clearly see i am out of my depth on this one therefore i will have to look at a commercial tuner to do the work and Don seems to be winning the race at the minute. Not trying to start a war, but starting an arguement does not seem difficult after reading some of the other threads between tuners
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 14:20   #30
Wobbly Dave

Thumbs up

If you're prepared to put the money and effort into it then I really hope you get what you want out of it. Always thought that engine swaps are a bit fraught with problems.