Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027578

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2022, 21:12   #2801
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This one Dave?

The other end of that is just a shaft with some splines onto which the wiper arm fits, so rotating it through 180 degrees won't change anything apart from moving the splines round half a turn.

This is puzzling me - I keep coming to the conclusion that the motor must be running backwards, but I can't see how that could be possible.

:-(

Alan
Polarity?🤔
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 21:22   #2802
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Polarity?🤔
Well, I'd thought of that Andrew, but I can't make sense of it. The 12v DC motor would probably run just as well in reverse if wired that way (internally), but I can't see that the external wiring could produce that error. If you look at the cct diagram:

you will see there is just one -ve return (the brown wire) and two +ve feeds (the black and red) - the red and the black both have to be +ve in order for the motor to run when the washer operates, enter a park stroke when the driver stops pulling the wipers lever and park otherwise. There is also a diode (internal to the motor housing) in each of the red wire (washer pump) circuits.

... I'm still stumped by this one.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 29th, 2022 at 21:24.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 21:27   #2803
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Well, I'd thought of that Andrew, but I can't make sense of it. The 12v DC motor would probably run just as well in reverse if wired that way (internally), but I can't see that the external wiring could produce that error. If you look at the cct diagram:

you will see there is just one -ve return (the brown wire) and two +ve feeds (the black and red) - the red and the black both have to be +ve in order for the motor to run when the washer operates, enter a park stroke when the driver stops pulling the wipers lever and park otherwise.

... I'm still stumped by this one.

Alan
The motor looks like a replacement, not date marked like the other side.

Manufacturing fault? Wrong motor?
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 21:41   #2804
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
This one Dave?

The other end of that is just a shaft with some splines onto which the wiper arm fits, so rotating it through 180 degrees won't change anything apart from moving the splines round half a turn.

This is puzzling me - I keep coming to the conclusion that the motor must be running backwards, but I can't see how that could be possible.

Alan
Quote:
Polarity?🤔
That's the one Alan - are you sure there's nothing between that pinion and the wiper arm except a straight rod?

Andrew raises an interesting concept that i'd certainly overlooked but you've hinted at as well Alan. Try reversing the polarity at the motor itself, if it has been replaced it's possible they got the polarity the wrong way round on the new motor when they fitted it so instead of parking at the bottom, it now parks at the top.
After all, the rack is just a push-pull motion on the pinion so if it's designed to stop at a certain point it will stop there - if it's on the "up-sweep" instead of the "down-sweep" because of reversed polarity this would certainly give the problem you have.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 22:12   #2805
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's the one Alan - are you sure there's nothing between that pinion and the wiper arm except a straight rod?

Andrew raises an interesting concept that i'd certainly overlooked but you've hinted at as well Alan. Try reversing the polarity at the motor itself, if it has been replaced it's possible they got the polarity the wrong way round on the new motor when they fitted it so instead of parking at the bottom, it now parks at the top.
After all, the rack is just a push-pull motion on the pinion so if it's designed to stop at a certain point it will stop there - if it's on the "up-sweep" instead of the "down-sweep" because of reversed polarity this would certainly give the problem you have.
It is certainly just a solid rod between the pinion wheel and the splines Dave:

... like you I thought there might be some sort of trigger attached to it, but it is just a bit of metal.

It is an interesting idea that the motor might have been changed some time in the past. The case has certainly been opened previously (hence the zip ties) but I don't know why. Getting at the +ve and -ve tails for the motor may be a tad difficult as there are other things built into the case, but I'll certainly look at that tomorrow.

It would certainly seem (to me) that just running the motor in the opposite direction would solve the problem.

This is an interesting challenge.

Alan
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 22:14   #2806
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The motor looks like a replacement, not date marked like the other side.

Manufacturing fault? Wrong motor?
You may have something there Andrew, the motor has clearly been opened some time in the past, as I told Dave, I don't know why. There are no obvious signs of anything being tampered with inside, but it could have been quite some time ago in the RB's 42 year life.

Good idea.

Alan
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 22:33   #2807
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Getting at the +ve and -ve tails for the motor may be a tad difficult as there are other things built into the case, but I'll certainly look at that tomorrow.

It would certainly seem (to me) that just running the motor in the opposite direction would solve the problem.

This is an interesting challenge.

Alan
I suspect the previous "rebuilder" didn't check the motor direction before reassembling it Alan and given the "challenge" of swapping the motors wires round, decided to live with it after finding it worked perfectly but gave the RB a permanent quizzical expression.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 06:30   #2808
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect the previous "rebuilder" didn't check the motor direction before reassembling it Alan and given the "challenge" of swapping the motors wires round, decided to live with it after finding it worked perfectly but gave the RB a permanent quizzical expression.
Possibly Dave. There are no signs of anything being touched inside the unit - so if it was previously rebuilt it was done very neatly.

I have two other LH units that I believe to be serviceable, but that I think have too long a stroke for the MY 80's headlamps (I think those lights were only used in MY 79 and 80). The only difference appears to be the crank, which is a pretty easy part to swap. What I'll do when I get a mo is link up one of the spare units and see if it rotates in the correct direction, if it does I'll open the case (a bit of a mission) and swap the cranks).

... I have a plan.

:-)

Alan
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 16:08   #2809
Othen
Premier Member

Default Headlamp Wiper - solved...

It took a while, and a bit of experimentation, but I got there in the end.

I knew I had a couple of spare LH units on the 244 spares shelf so I pulled the back off one for a look, after hooking it up to the car's electrics I noticed that:

a. I rotated anti-clockwise (just like the one that was fitted), so my theory about it being wired back to front was disproven.

b. The crank parked 180 degrees apart from the one fitted to the RB previously, so the first movement would always be an upward one (... so it should park at the bottom of the stroke, rather than at the top).

So I might have a solution, the old unit (grey crank) and the spare one (red crank) are shown in this photo, both in their park positions:

... clearly 180 degrees apart. I can only conclude that: as the parking position is set only by the three teeth on the back of the crank, that the motor fitted to the RB must have always had the wrong crank.

Life is never quite as simple as just swapping bits round on a 42 year old motor car, I ended up making up a hybrid unit using the splined shaft plus some of the gear parts from the RB's old one with the motor and electrical controls from the spare part.

The good news is it works:

The RB looks much smarter with a regular smile. Having got it all working properly I'll take it apart again for some lubrication and seal it back up with some silicone.

I suppose the NS wiper motor that came with the RB must have always had the wrong crank fitted. I have no idea how that came about, and why the enclosure had been opened previously (perhaps it was to fit the wrong crank?).

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 30th, 2022 at 16:10. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 16:24   #2810
Moomoo
VOC Member

Oh! That’s a shame, I preferred the smirk!