Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027517

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2021, 10:15   #2751
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
At that price Alan one would expect it to have an asthmatic V8 fitted and to have been sat in a wet field up to the sills in mud for atleast 10 years! What are they trying to pull selling a solid looking car for that much.

It does look very nice, if it had round headlights that would be perfect.

The old style plates suit the RB

Are you going to the BKV next year? I belive it is in Stratford upon-Avon
Ha, ha Luke... don't mock the afflicted, I'm sure someone loves that V8 in a sea of mud :-)

That '79 244 does look okay, it needs a bit of love, that is all. £4,500 seems like strong money to me, but then I'm a tightwad.

You will have to tell me what BKV is.

Alan
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 10:18   #2752
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I noticed the RB's slightly older brother for sale, it has also had the silver and black number plates fitted (it is a 79/V), but I don't think they suit it nearly as well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194679784...gAAOSwtadhzIHB

... perhaps because it is a DL without metallic paint, or maybe it is the colour or the wheels? I don't know, but the motor car doesn't carry it off quite so well.

I thought the seller is looking for pretty strong money for the motor car, perhaps the RB is worth a bit more than I had thought?

Alan
That's the same colour as my old 144 DL auto Alan (give or take a shade or two) and for some reason, the newer reflective yellow and white plates suit it better.

Surprised it's in such good condition though, there was something about not just the metal in the 70s/early 80s but also pale colours like yellow, beige and white (and even pale grey) that really let the rust through. My 144 was about 12 years old when i owned it and had more rust than that one does but most similar 144s had virtually zero rust at the time.

For some reason that sort of colour wasn't popular when new so i understand what Andrew says about not something he'd look for. However that can be flipped to the person that DOES want a yellow car. For them it's probably a bit overpriced but the seller invites offers so the prospective buyer would probably get it for somewhere between £3500-4000 depending on their haggling skills.

As Luke says, it's apparently a solid car in good original condition, someone will see the worth in it and unless it has hidden horrors will no doubt sell fairly quickly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 10:23   #2753
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Luke's referring to the VOC National Rally, Alan - a cracking day out and, unlike many clubs, free of charge. BKV stands for 'Best Kept Volvo', the associated competition. You don't have to enter, you can just enjoy the show. If you did enter, the R.B. would be up against some stiff competition, but would stand a very good chance in the 'working car' category against the affectionately called 'Trailer Queens'!

Regards, John.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 10:27   #2754
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Luke's referring to the VOC National Rally, Alan - a cracking day out and, unlike many clubs, free of charge. BKV stands for 'Best Kept Volvo', the associated competition. You don't have to enter, you can just enjoy the show. If you did enter, the R.B. would be up against some stiff competition, but would stand a very good chance in the 'working car' category against the affectionately called 'Trailer Queens'!

Regards, John.
Thank you John,

I may well attend in 2022, we'll see; indeed I may have another Volvo project by then - watch this space :-)

Alan
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 10:50   #2755
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Thank you John,

I may well attend in 2022, we'll see; indeed I may have another Volvo project by then - watch this space :-)

Alan
Bloomin’ TEASE!😏

Last edited by Moomoo; Dec 30th, 2021 at 10:52.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 12:03   #2756
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's the same colour as my old 144 DL auto Alan (give or take a shade or two) and for some reason, the newer reflective yellow and white plates suit it better.

Surprised it's in such good condition though, there was something about not just the metal in the 70s/early 80s but also pale colours like yellow, beige and white (and even pale grey) that really let the rust through. My 144 was about 12 years old when i owned it and had more rust than that one does but most similar 144s had virtually zero rust at the time.

For some reason that sort of colour wasn't popular when new so i understand what Andrew says about not something he'd look for. However that can be flipped to the person that DOES want a yellow car. For them it's probably a bit overpriced but the seller invites offers so the prospective buyer would probably get it for somewhere between £3500-4000 depending on their haggling skills.

As Luke says, it's apparently a solid car in good original condition, someone will see the worth in it and unless it has hidden horrors will no doubt sell fairly quickly.
I agree Dave, it is odd that some colours look right with the old style plates, and others (like the '79 DL) are better with the yellow and white ones.

You are probably right about the price - if it was a later car it would be in the middling category and so worth £2,000 to £2,500 - but with the historic car premium I think it should go for £3,500 to £4,000. It looks a nice motor car though, similar in many ways to the RB, and I'm pleased to see it being marketed sensibly but still making strong money.

Alan
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 06:47   #2757
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed the RB's slightly older brother for sale, it has also had the silver and black number plates fitted (it is a 79/V), but I don't think they suit it nearly as well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194679784...gAAOSwtadhzIHB

... perhaps because it is a DL without metallic paint, or maybe it is the colour or the wheels? I don't know, but the motor car doesn't carry it off quite so well.

I thought the seller is looking for pretty strong money for the motor car, perhaps the RB is worth a bit more than I had thought?

Alan
Quote:

Quote:
I agree Dave, it is odd that some colours look right with the old style plates, and others (like the '79 DL) are better with the yellow and white ones.

You are probably right about the price - if it was a later car it would be in the middling category and so worth £2,000 to £2,500 - but with the historic car premium I think it should go for £3,500 to £4,000. It looks a nice motor car though, similar in many ways to the RB, and I'm pleased to see it being marketed sensibly but still making strong money.

Alan
Well it looks like that 244 has sold after only a few days on the market. We can't know what it sold for of course, but one would have to imagine it was quite close to the asking price (£4,500 if I remember correctly).

I thought that was strong money. Elsewhere in this section we are seeing mint 1990s motor cars struggling to make £5,000 and remaining on the market for months - yet here we have a middling (but interesting) 244 cruising to £4,500 in just a few days. The market speaks loudest.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 4th, 2022 at 06:48. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 13:17   #2758
Othen
Premier Member

Default Introducing the RB's Great Aunt Maud

Hi Chaps,

So this is the Volvo project I mentioned a few days ago:

... a 1963 122. I just drive down to Bedford in the RB and have bought the motor car. I think it is really nice. It has a few issues to sort - but will be a good project for me for the next 18 months (until Dan finishes his A levels.

:-)
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 13:28   #2759
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Chaps,

So this is the Volvo project I mentioned a few days ago:

... a 1963 122. I just drive down to Bedford in the RB and have bought the motor car. I think it is really nice. It has a few issues to sort - but will be a good project for me for the next 18 months (until Dan finishes his A levels.

:-)
I thought so Alan! My "unmentioned" possibility, in fact that was still a choice of 2, either an Amazon or an early 740/760 Turbo but as you had mentioned the Amazons previously my idea was quite strong it would be an Amazon.

Looks very nice, you need an amber/yellow one now to complete the set of traffic lights! A 71/72 140 perhaps to fit with the chronological sequence.

Is it the B18A or B18B and does it have overdrive? Looks as if it has been well cared for throughout its life so should be quite a pleasant beast.

PS when you start a project thread, please add a link here!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 13:52   #2760
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I thought so Alan! My "unmentioned" possibility, in fact that was still a choice of 2, either an Amazon or an early 740/760 Turbo but as you had mentioned the Amazons previously my idea was quite strong it would be an Amazon.

Looks very nice, you need an amber/yellow one now to complete the set of traffic lights! A 71/72 140 perhaps to fit with the chronological sequence.

Is it the B18A or B18B and does it have overdrive? Looks as if it has been well cared for throughout its life so should be quite a pleasant beast.

PS when you start a project thread, please add a link here!
Thank you Dave,
It is a B18D (low compression, twin carburettor). I collect it tomorrow. More to follow later when I get a minute.
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 6th, 2022 at 13:53. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: