Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

c30 early brake pads wear?

Views : 1084

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 21:01   #1
JayLuisRock

Default c30 early brake pads wear?

Hi to everyone!!!

Today (10JUN09) I took my c30 to its first maintenance service (9321 miles) and dealer is telling me that my brake pads are worn and that they only have a expected life of 1240 miles...

Mexico is a very crowded city where you can not have the chance tu speed up or anything related...

¿Should I trust the dealer?...
I hope you could advice me...
JayLuisRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 21:11   #2
grass hopper
Premier Member

shatstones must have a dealer in mexico ROFL ! sorry only joking.

no if you dont drive like a loony the pads should last approx 30k,cars that are on the motorway most of the time usually last approx 60k.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 22:47   #3
alfiembra

Yep X2 just had my S40 serviced at 36k miles and dealer reported pads at 20% worn I do lots of motorway stuff though.
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:59   #4
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Definite bandit job. Go to another garage.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 13:27   #5
Geordie C30
C30 rules O.K.

Most dealers say brake pads need replacing if it looks as though they will be near the limit of wear before the next service. I changed my pads myself but when I took the car to the dealer for a service 5000 miles later (to keep the warranty) I was told the pads were worn and needed replacing. When I queried this I was given the above explanation. They said that they were doing ME a favour as I would not have the hastle of rebooking the car in another day to get the pads replaced. Some favour at a cost of almost £60 labour plus parts. Keep a spare set of pads at home and change them yourself.
Geordie C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 18:19   #6
GSMGuy
Master Member

Have to agree, it's purely a money making thing for the stealers - Say your car (like mine) in on 12k/annual service, and the pads are 50% worn, they will prob advise replacement of the perfectly good ones, so they don't wear out before the next service..

As if in a deliberate attampt to protect their revenue, mine, and a lot more newish Volvos aside, do not have not have pad wear sensors fitted.... Again, I think you then have more chance of running the pads too low, and scrapping the discs - £££ Kerching for the dealer again...

I replaced mine on the XC with a set of genuine Mintex from Ebay (£13 odd delivered, and he sent 2 sets in error, allowing me to keep them rather than pay return postage!!) Anyway, fitted the fronts just over 20k miles ago, and noticed about a month ago that the rears looked low - So sourced some OEM (£15) and replaced, thinking I'd do the fronts at the same time - Still around 75% life left in them! And I drive my car hard, mainly around town - Being and XC90, auto it is particularly heavy on tyres, but not as heavy on brakes as the Stealer would have you think!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, c30, early, wear, worn