Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 1.6D Drive - "Power Steering Service Required"

Views : 4139

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2016, 14:16   #1
Bootloader

Thumbs down V60 1.6D Drive - "Power Steering Service Required"

Hey all,

I've had my 2011 V60 1.6D Drive R-Design for ~1.5 years, it's done 49k and has full main dealer history.

I've registered on here so other members can follow an issue I'm having at present (as title).

When leaving work on Friday, the car started fine, but I did receive a "Power Steering Service Required" message on my dash .
I drove the car home as normal and there was no distinguishable difference in steering weighting, noise etc. (like the issue wasn't there!)

Started up fine this morning (not used all weekend), went to pull off from outside the house and almost went straight into the back of the wifes car ... no power steering whatsoever!! Quick fuse and fluid check - all ok.

Struggling to understand how it could go from working perfectly to not working at the push of a button. If something was about to fail, I suspect that I would see/feel/hear some sort of tell tale sign, apart from the dash message (these can appear with battery issues from reading forum).

On a side note, I've also had the start/stop go on me recently, so new battery/alternator may be required. Not sure whether or not this can have any effect on the electric-hydraulic power steering.

I have Volvo Assist coming out to take a look later, so will update the thread as/when I get more info.

Bemused V60 owner
Bootloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 15:04   #2
Mnkiboy

Not had this issue myself, but a low battery can cause all kind of odd electrical issues. Get your battery and alternator checked out and go from there.
Mnkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 15:34   #3
Bootloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnkiboy View Post
Not had this issue myself, but a low battery can cause all kind of odd electrical issues. Get your battery and alternator checked out and go from there.
Yeh, will be the first thing I mention to the Assist techie because of the start/stop.

From what I've read on the forum, even when you have a badly depleted battery, the car doesn't always give a 'Low Battery' warning!
Must be doing fairly basic battery monitoring by the sounds of it.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 11:01   #4
Bootloader

Okay, update as promised.

A guy from Volvo Assist came out and plugged his diagnostic tool in. Came back with DTC U0131.
After a quick Google search, I found that this DTC equates to "Lost Communication With Power Steering Control Module".

Nothing that could be done roadside, so Assist towed the car off to my local Volvo dealership.

After waiting half a day or so, the dealers called with the news that the power steering pump had failed, along with the control module as a result of water ingress into the terminal block and cable that connects to it.

I was informed that Volvo have made a cover/shroud that goes over the terminal block to prevent it happening again which is fitted only when the pump fails and needs replacing.
A letter from Volvo informing of this potential issue would have been nice, and I would have been more than willing to pay for the fix to prevent a costly pump failure!

The fact that they have gone through the effort to produce this part suggests that it is not an isolated incident and if memory serves me correct, I'm pretty sure I've read about this exact issue elsewhere on the forum.

Anyway, I'll cut to the figures ... total cost was £742 all in, but thankfully my local dealership offered a goodwill gesture and Volvo subsequently agreed to pay half.

Still not an overly happy bunny, but the goodwill makes it slightly easier to stomach.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 20:40   #5
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootloader View Post
Okay, update as promised.

Anyway, I'll cut to the figures ... total cost was £742 all in, but thankfully my local dealership offered a goodwill gesture and Volvo subsequently agreed to pay half.

Still not an overly happy bunny, but the goodwill makes it slightly easier to stomach.
Sorry to hear about the problem but not too bad deal for a five year old car in my view.

Tags
power steering, power steering service, steering service required, v60 power steering