Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Some questions on V50 2009 1.6

Views : 738

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2016, 15:55   #1
Vaevictus

Default Some questions on V50 2009 1.6

Hello all,

I have just bought a used V50 2009 model, 1.6Diesel and have few questions.

Car details: 100,000 miles
has had dpf changed recently
has NOT had cambelt changed
has NOT had new clutch

made a bit of an impulse buy and should have done more research first. Seller indicated car had a chain instead of belt and I took his word for it. I can see there is a bit of a dispute on when I should get cambelt changed.

so my q's:

1) When should I be considering getting this belt changed?

2) What is the best chinese diagnostic computer to buy (with ebay links if possible)

3) Car has a full service history and oil change interval has been around every 14-15,000 miles. I intend to do routine servicing myself. What's the consensus for oil change interval?

4) Does anyone know of any good shops in Belgium area that do good DPF deletes?

5) the indicated fuel economy this car is getting is 5.5l/100km (51.3mpg). Is this within normal range for the car or should it be getting more

6)How long can the clutches last in this model?

7) The car's cluster and radio language is not in english. How much is a fair price for a dealer to change it to english with a new flash?

8) any other things I should be doing as an amateur mechanic to de-risk any potential issues (turbo oil filter clean? egr clean? additional additives in fuel tank?

Cheers in advance for any advice you can give me

Last edited by Vaevictus; Jan 16th, 2016 at 15:57. Reason: typos
Vaevictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 16:34   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictus View Post
Hello all,

I have just bought a used V50 2009 model, 1.6Diesel and have few questions.

Car details: 100,000 miles
has had dpf changed recently
has NOT had cambelt changed
has NOT had new clutch

made a bit of an impulse buy and should have done more research first. Seller indicated car had a chain instead of belt and I took his word for it. I can see there is a bit of a dispute on when I should get cambelt changed.

so my q's:

1) When should I be considering getting this belt changed?

150000 miles or 10 years ...

2) What is the best chinese diagnostic computer to buy (with ebay links if possible)

3) Car has a full service history and oil change interval has been around every 14-15,000 miles. I intend to do routine servicing myself. What's the consensus for oil change interval?

12500 miles or every year use 0w/30 for best results or 5w/30 if you are short of cash . A5/B5 grade is best , this engine MUST have the correct oil and have it changed at the correct intervals or it can sludge up and ruin the engine and turbo . It seems to have lasted so far so keep up the good work

4) Does anyone know of any good shops in Belgium area that do good DPF deletes?

You just had a new one ! Isn't it illegal in Belgium like Uk? Do you have the EOLYS additive tank on the rear axle ?

5) the indicated fuel economy this car is getting is 5.5l/100km (51.3mpg). Is this within normal range for the car or should it be getting more

Thats about average but yes you can improve on that a lot if you drive it correctly with economy in mind .

6)How long can the clutches last in this model?

Anywhere between 10000 miles and over 100000 miles , The clutch pressure plate can fail and make the clutch hard to disengage and also it is very easy to overheat them and shorten their life .

7) The car's cluster and radio language is not in english. How much is a fair price for a dealer to change it to english with a new flash?

software is about 20 minutes of their labour + the software which could be around £40 ?

8) any other things I should be doing as an amateur mechanic to de-risk any potential issues (turbo oil filter clean? egr clean? additional additives in fuel tank?

dont use any additives , volvo forbid any fuel or oil additives . Just use the correct oil and a decent fuel .

Cheers in advance for any advice you can give me

Hope that helps ..
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 19:57   #3
Vaevictus

that does indeed help, thanks a lot. Looks like I should be putting some money aside for the clutch job soon enough then. Not sure if it's got an eolys tank or not yet havent gotten under the car yet (weather is ****)

I probably wont be getting a dpf delete I just want to have a plan b if I start getting problems with it.

so only real questions outstanding is if there is any potential easy-to-do DIY maintenance on the car that might be worth doing as preventative maintenance and what is the best cheap diagnostic scanner to get to run VIDA etc.

Cheers all,
Vaevictus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.6d, diy, oil change interval, v50