Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvo & 2008 S60 D5 SE Sport......

Views : 14352

Replies : 159

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 21:44   #11
volvo145
Premier Member

There is nothing wrong with 4c suspension. They will give as long a life as any other.
Who said they were charging £350 per strut?
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 17:57   #12
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Being a killjoy now but.........
RAC platinum is afaik for vehicles under seven years old and up to 70k miles. When is a 2008 car deemed seven years old and how many miles are on it now ? Might be worthwhile checking the RAC T&C to see if that waranty is what you think it is.
I appreciate all posts Brendan, that's how we all learn :-)
You are indeed right, but the dealer pointed out that they can put certain cars on if the dealer has a very good relationship with them and if the RAC think the car is good enough.....whether this is true or not I don't know? but I have the RAC pack from them anyway......

thanks Nick
wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 18:00   #13
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed dunne View Post
I phoned a dealer regarding an s80 with Active c, it all sounded good until he told me the advanced button kept going orange. I asked if he would be fixing it and he said no. I checked with a volvo engineer and he said he solenoids go on the suspension. I am sure yours will be okay but see if you can get an extended warranty that coverage these parts. Cheers. Jed
Hi jed,
my car has one button on the bottom of the dash rather than the 3 at the top right....
it has comfort and sport......& it seems to be working....definetly 'sat down' and felt tighter around bends in sport mode......it illiminates on the dash for a few seconds also when engaged....although I am sure you all know this
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 18:11   #14
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
There is nothing wrong with 4c suspension. They will give as long a life as any other.
Who said they were charging £350 per strut?
Hi volvo145,
I have never used anything like this before, so I will see how it goes. It seems very good tbh in my limited 170 mile drive home. But I don't know if it's working 100% of course......
I am not a track day guy tbh, so don't need anything too good. It's been many years since I threw a scooby around a dry roundabout, with no traffic on it obviously*ahem*....
So I am sure it will suit my getting old gracefully driving needs.....
I have several weblinks gained from reading threads on here volvo145, so please forgive my naivity if this link actually means for 2 front struts (I don't even know whether this is for my model and front tbh):

http://www.monroeshop.co.uk/monroe-c..._p22269615.htm
then there is this link:
http://www.monroeshop.co.uk/default.php?search=c2502

so I obviously need to do more research on this as I don't really know what I am doing wrt these electronic struts.
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 18:29   #15
wisc

Well I now have the car. Everything seems to work, all electrics inc sunroof, all lights, all buttons etc.
Spare wheel is in there.....which was a great shock as I thought they didn't have one?

They showed me the old cambelt and one tensioner.....I plan to open her up after xmas anyway and get all the belts checked to ensure they have been checked (just need to save some more pennies up).......and start the usual 'list' for any jobs to check for my model/year etc.......

The garage assured me that the car came in through a main dealer (Toyota iirc) and definetly not bought through an auction......however as i was looking through all the bumph when I got home, I have inadvertently picked up a yellow slip from the desk......it is the reciept from Eastbourne acutions for my car and another.......let's be honest....99% of garages are all the same....they are in it to make money. I am happy with the hpi etc.......I knew there was no service history after 50,000 miles......when the user from this site first bought it. It looks like he has either serviced it himself or had a friend do it in ireland where he worked. See the other thread for my posts on this. I wouldn't have bought it unless I had seen all the threads/posts on this site regarding my car, man that was a frantic 3 hours I can tell you.....I had already paid a £500 deposit....

I already have an extensive folder and loads of threads/posts saved with useful info for me....poly-bushing (straight bar or dumb-bell one for the wishbones....hmm).....engine mounts look reasonably straightforward though?

Brakes I haven't looked into yet, they feel pretty solid tbh, but when I come to remap....hmm.....braided hoses enough or larger front disks and hoses.....

Remap info was a good read......plenty of time for this, this will be the last thing to do.......

anyway, thanks for your replies and advice etc, looks like there are some very good car engineers on this site.......I will be looking for a good volvo indie for after xmas......
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 18:32   #16
pphilpot
Premier Member

And how did you find it to drive. Nice? Quick enough?
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 19:06   #17
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilpot View Post
And how did you find it to drive. Nice? Quick enough?
very smooth, steady on the road, very good quality switch gear and interior, great handling for a barge although I didn't push very hard tbh as I didn't want to break anything miles away from home......not sure what state bushes are in, no knocking anyway.......went through its MOT with no advisories.....
power.....yes pretty nippy, decieving because it doesn't feel that quick until you look at the speedo.....not sure if it's running at full power for 185bhp? I think it is.....feels 'torquey'......
I love the sound of that 5 cylinder btw.....beaufitul....it does not sound like an oil smoker does it? I have never had a 5 cylinder before.....

edited - feels like it is opening up ok....no throttle/engine suppression or flat spots etc
The Following User Says Thank You to wisc For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 19:12   #18
wisc

The way I have approached and bought this car is not good....I appreciate that...but I had my hand forced by selling mine the next day after the advert.....the car I sold was one of those where you might only get 1-2 buyers as it was a marmite car.....& we only had the one car with no family nearby.....

I can't disclose what car it was, because that will knacker any chance of me ever winning an argument/discussion on this site, as you will then pull the 'wisc used to own a.........'....and put loads of laughing gifs to end the discussion.....at this point of course I would have to admit defeat.....

edited to try to enhance the humour......
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 19:18   #19
pphilpot
Premier Member

A Fiat Doblo? Naaah – they are not Marmite cars, nobody likes them...
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 19:21   #20
reesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisc View Post
very smooth, steady on the road, very good quality switch gear and interior, great handling for a barge although I didn't push very hard tbh as I didn't want to break anything miles away from home......not sure what state bushes are in, no knocking anyway.......went through its MOT with no advisories.....
power.....yes pretty nippy, decieving because it doesn't feel that quick until you look at the speedo.....not sure if it's running at full power for 185bhp? I think it is.....feels 'torquey'......
I love the sound of that 5 cylinder btw.....beaufitul....it does not sound like an oil smoker does it? I have never had a 5 cylinder before.....

edited - feels like it is opening up ok....no throttle/engine suppression or flat spots etc

Got any warnings on the dashboard yet?
reesky is offline   Reply With Quote