Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel consumption

Views : 1182

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 11:09   #1
omri marian

hi there,

I have just bought a 245 DL STATION VAGON (AMERICN) FUELED BY 95 OCTAN UNLEADED GAS. THER ARE BRAND NEW FUEL INJECTORS, ALL PARAMETERS READ BY THE DIAGNOSE COMPUTER ARE CORECT. BUT STILL FUEL CONCUMPTION IS 4.5-5KILOMETERS PER LITTER (CRUISING ON THE HIGH WAY). PLEAS ADVISE WHAT CAN I DO TO BRING UP TO 7-9 KILOMETERS PER LITER.

YOURS
OMRI MARIAN
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 01:15   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: fuel consumption

A few more details would be of help such as type of gearbox (auto/manual), type of engine (B200/B230), with/without turbo, with/without overdrive. It sounds as if it is an automatic with B200 motor and overdrive which is not being selected. I assume your car has an speedometer which reads in km/h?

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 10:59   #3
migrator
Aye - him again

How old is this motor? If it is badged as 245 then I would suspect that it is not in the first flush of youth.

How are the brakes? Binding brakes are not uncommon on older cars. I have recently purchased a 240GL estate (1988 vintage) and although it has come with a full MOT, I have found that one front brake caliper has two opposing brake pistons siezed and binding badly. This is sometimes difficult to notice with power steering.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 17:11   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Apart from unwanted drag from binding brakes, there a a number of fairly straightforward service points on the engine which all need to be spot on. Perhaps you have already checked these, but anyway:

Plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, HT leads, coil.
Air cleaner, air intake pipework and ducting.
Vacuum take-off points on the inlet manifold clear and hoses not leaking. Crankcase ventilation clear, flame trap not blocked.
Brake servo pipe.
Throttle body clean, stops adjusted.
Inlet manifold gasket OK?
Driving style? It makes a big difference - I get 2 mpg more than my wife, because I anticipate hazards, and generally am more light-footed. She brakes, I ease off the gas!
Can someone translate the mileage figures? My experience with a 1993 (fuel injection)currently on 295,000 miles is 32 mpg average. I have done better, eg when I drove 200 miles at a constant 58mph I got 36 mpg.
When I had a 1983 (carburettor model) I got 27 mpg average, 30 at best.

Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 19:47   #5
omri marian

thanks a million,

omri