Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to put positive wire from electronic ignition?

Views : 1498

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2023, 13:19   #1
JDW3696

Default Where to put positive wire from electronic ignition?

Hello.
Fitting an accuspark electronic ignition kit on my Amazon and it's obvious where the black negative wire goes on the coil but there isn't a positive terminal for the positive wire. It needs to go on a 12v feed that goes on and off with the ignition. Does anyone have any experience or ideas? Thanks
Joe
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 16:15   #2
JP 1800
Master Member

The earlier Amazons B18 varient have an armoured cable for the coil positive (an anti theft device), to overcome this you have two options.

1: cut open the armoured cable to expose the ignition positive

2: Route a positive feed from the car(fusebox) how ever you will also need a second feed from the starter solenoid as the feed from the fusebox will be cut during cranking ,if memory serves me.
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 16:37   #3
JDW3696

Ahh okay. Thankyou. I will have to get that done somewhere then. Was hoping it was going to be straightforward.
Thanks
Joe
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 17:15   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

You need a 'diode wire kit' to provide +12v power to the pertronix module. You can fabricate your own with some wire wire, a couple of 1n4001 diodes and a couple of crimp connectors for about 0.5 $. Or you can purchase an official kit for about $10 US$ plus shipping.

Details here
https://www.ipdusa.com/Media/6063/Do...20IGNITION.pdf
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 22:07   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Neil; A diode cable is only necessary when using the OE Ign Sw in Pos 4 to Start the engine, and owners of (544, 122, 1800) with these susceptible Ign Sws have learned either by their own experience when they twist off a key(s) or common experience if they read any of the fora out there, that this strategy has been shown to be less than sustainable in the long term. I have written about the root cause here: https://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switc...ch_article.htm

Joe; So if a Start Sw is the best preventative of broken Ign Keys, a side-effect of installing one is that a diode cable is no longer needed, and I have this documented here: https://www.sw-em.com/123Ignition_in...ored_Cable.htm

...not to mention that when (cheap) solid state diodes used in these cables fail, they result very difficult starting, if at all!: https://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Igniti...de_ORing_Cable

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 06:21   #6
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP 1800 View Post
The earlier Amazons B18 varient have an armoured cable for the coil positive (an anti theft device), to overcome this you have two options.

1: cut open the armoured cable to expose the ignition positive

2: Route a positive feed from the car(fusebox) how ever you will also need a second feed from the starter solenoid as the feed from the fusebox will be cut during cranking ,if memory serves me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Neil; A diode cable is only necessary when using the OE Ign Sw in Pos 4 to Start the engine, and owners of (544, 122, 1800) with these susceptible Ign Sws have learned either by their own experience when they twist off a key(s) or common experience if they read any of the fora out there, that this strategy has been shown to be less than sustainable in the long term. I have written about the root cause here: https://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switc...ch_article.htm

Joe; So if a Start Sw is the best preventative of broken Ign Keys, a side-effect of installing one is that a diode cable is no longer needed, and I have this documented here: https://www.sw-em.com/123Ignition_in...ored_Cable.htm

...not to mention that when (cheap) solid state diodes used in these cables fail, they result very difficult starting, if at all!: https://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Igniti...de_ORing_Cable

Cheers
Good points both,

I don't know whether the OP is still using the original ignition switch with the armoured cable or not, but if I recall he is having some general electrical problems so it may be sensible to fit a separate momentary start switch:

... such that the motor starts and runs in postilion III and the gorilla spring is not needed. An advantage is (as Ron correctly says) the +ve supply for the OP's electronic ignition module may be taken from pole III of the switch (or the input of the momentary switch) rather than have to hack into the armoured cable:

Which would be a pity.

On my 1063 122s I found that even after fitting a momentary switch, the original ignition switch (in position III) would still sometimes not provide enough instantaneous current to energise the starter solenoid. The simple solution was to fit a starter relay, thus reducing the current draw on my 60 year old switch to well under an amp at start up:

Last edited by Othen; Jan 10th, 2023 at 06:23.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 19:28   #7
JDW3696

Sounds like it would be an idea to get this looked at by an auto electrician and get a starter button fitted first.
I'm having the car put on the rolling road on Friday so was hoping to get the electronic ignition fitted prior to that but that won't happen. I'm guessing it will need to go back to be set up again once I have electronic ignition fitted?
Interesting cars these Volvos.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 05:12   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Sounds like it would be an idea to get this looked at by an auto electrician and get a starter button fitted first.
I'm having the car put on the rolling road on Friday so was hoping to get the electronic ignition fitted prior to that but that won't happen. I'm guessing it will need to go back to be set up again once I have electronic ignition fitted?
It is up to you how you spend your money of course, but I’d say it would be a waste to tune the motor car on a rolling road and then change the ignition to electronic points. I’d say either postpone the rolling road or get the electronic points fitted in the next two days.

Do you understand the issue about the +ve supply for the electronic points from the ignition switch? It is about the load shedding between positions 3 and 4 - read Ron’s very good white paper for the details.

You have 3 options to fit the points:
a. Cut into the armoured cable and tap into the +ve ignition wire. This is simplest but scruffiest.

b. Fit the simple diode arrangement someone (142 Guy) referred to above. This is quite elegant and would cost a couple of quid. Unfortunately one would need a really basic knowledge of electronics, and so probably I isn’t practical at this juncture.

c. Run the starter system from position 3 of the switch and fit a momentary switch in series. This eliminates the load shedding of position 4 so you can just connect the +ve supply for the electronic ignition to the supply side of the momentary switch. This is the most robust solution in the longer term, but isn’t quite as elegant as ‘b’. I think Ron’s white paper has a section on this and he even sells a little kit (I bought one). If you wanted to do the modification this week you wouldn’t have time to wait for the mail from the USA, but you could get the parts you need (a momentary switch, a foot of wire and a couple of crimp connectors) for perhaps a tenner at any electrical supplies store.
If it was me I’d take option ‘c’, buy a momentary switch somewhere local today and have it plus the electronic points fitted by lunchtime . If you still wanted to you could get your motor car tuned on Friday.

Last edited by Othen; Jan 11th, 2023 at 05:27.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 15:25   #9
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Does the trip to the rolling road include optimization of the engine tune (ignition timing and fuel mixture setting)? If it does, then you should postpone the rolling road test until after the Pertronix is installed. As I recall, when you install the Pertronix module you have to shift the base ignition timing and then recheck the timing with a timing light (best method). That means that you potentially mess up the ignition set up that was done while the car was on the chassis dyno. If the dyno trip does not include optimization of the ignition timing and you are just running with the factory specs for timing, then it really does not matter whether the Pertronix installation occurs before or after the dyno trip.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 17:35   #10
JDW3696

Okay. Thankyou for that. I will speak to the person doing the rolling road and go from there. Might have to stick to traditional points set up for now and go back to this at a later date.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post: