Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 (2020) Real world MPG

Views : 1178

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2023, 08:03   #1
Yurg

Post XC60 T8 (2020) Real world MPG

I was looking for advice. I am currently looking to upgrade from a 2019 xc40 to a XC60. I would ideally like to stick to petrol and the t8 has caught my eye.

I would assume there are a few t8 owners on here and I was wondering what sort of real world mpg you are achieving on hybrid driving, with daily charging?

Online is a minefield of weird and wacky claims.

Thanks
Yurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 08:19   #2
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

It totally depends on how much you use it on electric only.

I know from my V60 with the same '30 mile' battery that I used zero fuel on short trips, or reduced fuel use on medium trips. If I drive with an empty battery I have a regular diesel mpg of 45, like you would have 30 ish on a petrol XC60.

Wacky sounding claims can be genuine. If I give you a parallel to my car, my average has been 70mpg, but I've had 138mpg over 400 milles (due to lots of shorter trips and daily recharging) and also 820 miles on one 'tank' despite it only being 40 litres !

What sort of mixture of trips do to do?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 08:31   #3
RussJ759

For my mix of driving (5000 miles a year mostly short local trips with longer journeys, often towing our van) I see 43.6mpg on the dash.
Stick mainly to electric then you'll probably see 70mpg+.
Certainly better than our Audi SQ5 diesel which managed about 32 overall.
RussJ759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 08:43   #4
Yurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
It totally depends on how much you use it on electric only.

I know from my V60 with the same '30 mile' battery that I used zero fuel on short trips, or reduced fuel use on medium trips. If I drive with an empty battery I have a regular diesel mpg of 45, like you would have 30 ish on a petrol XC60.

Wacky sounding claims can be genuine. If I give you a parallel to my car, my average has been 70mpg, but I've had 138mpg over 400 milles (due to lots of shorter trips and daily recharging) and also 820 miles on one 'tank' despite it only being 40 litres !

What sort of mixture of trips do to do?
I do a 20 mile county road commute and some short 2 or 3 mile daily town driving.

At the moment I am seeing 38 on my t3 but the hills make the little 1.5 work harder.
Yurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 14:01   #5
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurg View Post
I do a 20 mile county road commute and some short 2 or 3 mile daily town driving.
At the moment I am seeing 38 on my t3 but the hills make the little 1.5 work harder.
As above poster, your electric charge will do your (one way?) 20m commute and a couple of miles more. If you can't charge at work so it's mostly petrol on the way home, your average mpg will balance out. I would have thought 50+ mpg ?

A family friend is still showing over 100mpg in their new (big battery) XC90 T8 because they are using a thimble of fuel a week because everything is short distances. I fancy the V60 with the same battery.

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Oct 21st, 2023 at 14:06.
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 14:12   #6
Discoman

Would it not be more useful if people quoted their price per mile including the cost of electricity?I know it can still vary a lot depending on the use of the car but it would be more useful than the MPG figure in the dash which Volvo should really disable in PHEV cars as it is materially misleading...but that is what they want.

As an aside is it the case that that the Volvo PHEVs are RWD only in electric only mode?
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 15:20   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
Would it not be more useful if people quoted their price per mile including the cost of electricity?I know it can still vary a lot depending on the use of the car but it would be more useful than the MPG figure in the dash which Volvo should really disable in PHEV cars as it is materially misleading...but that is what they want.
I agree.

Quote:
As an aside is it the case that that the Volvo PHEVs are RWD only in electric only mode?
I believe that's correct.
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 15:27   #8
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

far too many variables, some pay mere pennies for electric, some have easier drives than other.

depending on what it is doing and the temp, my car uses between 2 and 2.7 miles per kw

I'm sure it get even worse sub 2 in the winter without preconditioning.

as for figure in dash I am at 140.6mpg over 5000 miles as we only use petrol rarely, our car is a short range EV for us.

Personally having had this PHEV for nearly a year and got used to the whole charging etc and our use case I'd probably have picked the full BEV XC40 it is not really any smaller and it is only a little less premium, is it really and upgrade, or a bit of a side grade as it is a small space wise, big car whereas the xc40 does well in its foot print?

Its only because we tow we wanted an easier fuel but reckon for the rare occasions I do tow I could of planned it, I'm anal enough

Can't really compare my mpg with a 2020 as the newer cars with updated electrics dropped the supercharger.

Last edited by sandys; Oct 21st, 2023 at 16:30.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 08:25   #9
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post

That’s honestly more confusing as it depends on what you pay - I pay 4.5p/kWH off peak and that’s what I use for my car (1.5p per mile), if you charge at a standard price cap rate it’s probably 10p/mile for electric.

Hybrid driving is radically impacted by typical journey use - it’s the biggest variable of all.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 08:49   #10
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post
Hybrid driving is radically impacted by typical journey use - it’s the biggest variable of all.
Totally agree.

Also, in ECO mode in my V60, they came up with a 'Gph' measure in the display, so you have both kwh power use and a combined measure of gallons per hour, and mpg.

That's probably enough !

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Oct 22nd, 2023 at 08:52.