Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rally Maya Mexico

Views : 692

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2021, 21:29   #1
adarvasi

Default Rally Maya Mexico

Last Sunday finished the Rally Maya, a 1,250 km regularity rally comprising Campeche, Yucatan and Quintana Roo states in the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico.
There were 122 cars from 1904 to 1980, cannot be younger than 40 years.
My son in law as copilot and me as pilot participated with my 1962 PV544 and for newbies we got a decent 9th place out of 58 cars in our category and 34th overall.
The car performed flawlessly, even with the prevalent 40 degrees C temperature.
The organization of the rally was outstanding, great hotels, great receptions in beautiful venues and fantastic socializing with the participants.
One outstanding fact: The husband and wife teams were very successful and, at least visually, without major disputes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuyfe8cuah...0Maya.m4v?dl=0
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adarvasi For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 23:07   #2
142 Guy
Master Member

Excellent! Congratulations on an uneventful completion. Cliffhanger ending! Kept me hanging on to the very end to find out whether the 544 was going to drop off the transporter.

Appeared to be suitable libations on hand. Need that with 40C and no air conditioning. Temperatures here were only 34C and I bailed on my 142 with black leather interior for the relative comfort on an NSX, also with a black leather interior; but, an AC system that can cool your Pinot Grigio when required.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 06:08   #3
adarvasi

142Guy, enjoyed your comment, and yes, we had a great time, and loading and unloading on to the transporter is trickier than it seems!
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 12:29   #4
Army
marches on his stomach

Another nice video.

DId you change the springs before the trip or were you sitting on extra cushions?
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 13:47   #5
BorderVolvo

Well done, a good result !
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:13   #6
adarvasi

I did change the springs and made all the difference!
I also changed the engine, just before de rally installed a 1967 B18B; tested the car up to 150 kph and it runs smoothly and no vibration whatsoever. Big difference between 8000 feet and sea level
The Following User Says Thank You to adarvasi For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 18:21   #7
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarvasi View Post
I did change the springs and made all the difference!
I also changed the engine, just before de rally installed a 1967 B18B; tested the car up to 150 kph and it runs smoothly and no vibration whatsoever. Big difference between 8000 feet and sea level
The rather crude rule of thumb is that you lose an average of about 3% of your rated horsepower per 1000 ft increase in altitude above sea level. On top of that, most carburetor equipped engines start to run with rich fuel mixtures as the altitudes increases which further compromises performance. The loss in horsepower and over fueling may actually be a good thing because your cooling system also suffers reduced capacity because of the lower mass air flow through the radiator at higher altitudes.

When you did the engine switch, perhaps you should have switched to a B230 FT or something similar. A turbocharger mixed with some EFI would have helped with the altitude problem. However, I suspect that would have violated the '1980' rule.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 18:47   #8
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
The rather crude rule of thumb is that you lose an average of about 3% of your rated horsepower per 1000 ft increase in altitude above sea level. On top of that, most carburetor equipped engines start to run with rich fuel mixtures as the altitudes increases which further compromises performance. The loss in horsepower and over fueling may actually be a good thing because your cooling system also suffers reduced capacity because of the lower mass air flow through the radiator at higher altitudes.

When you did the engine switch, perhaps you should have switched to a B230 FT or something similar. A turbocharger mixed with some EFI would have helped with the altitude problem. However, I suspect that would have violated the '1980' rule.
ok ni

Thank you 142Guy, as a private pilot I am quite familiar with how the altitude affects non turbo engines, and the mixture change requirements at different altitudes, the advantage with the aircraft is that you can control the mixture from inside the cab. It’s quite tricky (at least for me) to adjust the mixture on the SUs at altitude. Recently bought a color tune spark plug that helps a lot.