Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972 pv1800es

Views : 60520

Replies : 255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2021, 07:21   #21
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
Here’s the link for the Djet

https://volvo1800pictures.com/docume...lt_tracing.pdf

That cover plate left of the clock on the dash, is where a spindle mount radio would go. Those “radio delete plates” are like hens teeth, sought after by concours restorers, could be sold for a lot to help cover the cost of a modernized radio period correct looking radio.

I have one of those Classic Car radios, works quite well.
... it is not my car, but in that case I think the best thing would be to leave the radio delete plate in place and fit a discrete Bluetooth speaker like Ed China did to a Sunbeam Apline in this episode of WD:

https://www.topgearbox.com/cars/ente...unbeam-alpine/
Old May 10th, 2021, 11:26   #22
Army
marches on his stomach

Hey Othen - are you (like me) easily distracted?

Have your PV544 ownership dreams died a death?
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 12:16   #23
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Hey Othen - are you (like me) easily distracted?

Have your PV544 ownership dreams died a death?
I've just been waylaid by a few other projects: my son and I decided that we would extend our house (rather than move) so I've been surveying and preparing drawings, plus then my friend bought this P1800 - so you might say life has got in the way.

I haven't found time to drive to Portsmouth (300 mile round trip) to look at that PV544 yet - so that is still on the back burner (but I would not say it is shelved yet).

:-)
Old May 10th, 2021, 13:03   #24
Army
marches on his stomach

Oh dear that sounds like multi-tasking...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 20:08   #25
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you so much.

I understand the car has been registered as an historic vehicle for some years and so will not have needed a MoT test. I believe it is in good driving condition (such is the seller’s claim). This is the seller’s ad (in italics):

1972 Volvo 1800es 2ltr engine manual gearbox
This is a low mileage same number car.
I purchased the car 4yrs ago from its third owner who had kept the car for many years.
The car has undergone a bare metal body repair and repaint and looks amazing. Lots of new parts have also been fitted.
Since having all the repairs, the car had sat in my garage. Unused and no time to use it.
It runs and drives really well, the overdrive works without fault.
The interior is completely original and looks great, showing some wear but nothing that I would replace. The car retains that classic car interior smell which is a joy to sit in.
Any inspection is welcomed and recommended

... so that is what I’ll be checking for my friend (the buyer). I have not spoken with the seller myself, but my friend has, and she seems confident of the ad’s veracity.

Fingers crossed!
I am also the owner of a Volvo 1800ES and recall seeing this blue one from Stoke on Trent area for sale several times on Ebay in recent times, presumably it never reached a sensible price until now?

Whilst I have no knowledge or ever seen this Volvo I did, I think, once meet the owner/seller a few years ago on the Volvo Owners Club stand at the NEC Classic Car Show when displaying my own ES there (see photo). I had quite a long conversation with him about how he found the car locked away in storage for many years, bought it and carried out the restoration. I recall him saying that a lot of welding and bodywork was done as well as mechanical work. I think the main topic of conversation was how to refit the long side windows from memory.

My recollection is that he'd spent a lot of time and money on the car, including many new parts from a Volvo dealer close to his home. Quite why he is now selling it I don't know, but it does seem to be a good buy on the face of his adverts. He certainly seemed a genuine chap so I hope the purchase goes smoothly for your friend and that you enjoy driving the car home.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44781513_269404897113047_675096296462928262_n (2).jpg (88.9 KB, 16 views)
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:13   #26
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
I am also the owner of a Volvo 1800ES and recall seeing this blue one from Stoke on Trent area for sale several times on Ebay in recent times, presumably it never reached a sensible price until now?

Whilst I have no knowledge or ever seen this Volvo I did, I think, once meet the owner/seller a few years ago on the Volvo Owners Club stand at the NEC Classic Car Show when displaying my own ES there (see photo). I had quite a long conversation with him about how he found the car locked away in storage for many years, bought it and carried out the restoration. I recall him saying that a lot of welding and bodywork was done as well as mechanical work. I think the main topic of conversation was how to refit the long side windows from memory.

My recollection is that he'd spent a lot of time and money on the car, including many new parts from a Volvo dealer close to his home. Quite why he is now selling it I don't know, but it does seem to be a good buy on the face of his adverts. He certainly seemed a genuine chap so I hope the purchase goes smoothly for your friend and that you enjoy driving the car home.

Paul
That is so helpful Paul, thank you very much.

What you have said about the seller strongly supports my friend's opinion of the seller - he seems to be a decent chap. The story about spending good money on welding and decorating tallies exactly with my friend's account, but it is very useful indeed for it to be corroborated independently.

I have had no dealings with the seller myself, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the car and driving it back this week. If my friend agrees I'll post some photos and words then.

Best wishes,

Alan

PS. Your car looks absolutely first class.

Last edited by Othen; May 10th, 2021 at 21:17.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 10:11   #27
Othen
Premier Member

Default P1800 Manuals and Documents

I rather suppose all P1800 owners already know about these online documents:

https://volvo1800pictures.com/sweden...in_page_en.php

What a fantastic resource they are :-)

Although it is not even my car, I'm really excited about collecting the P1800ES for my friend tomorrow.

Alan
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:17   #28
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I rather suppose all P1800 owners already know about these online documents:

https://volvo1800pictures.com/sweden...in_page_en.php

What a fantastic resource they are :-)

Although it is not even my car, I'm really excited about collecting the P1800ES for my friend tomorrow.

Alan
It’s excellent. Another ok online source; https://ozvolvo.org/archive/
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:23   #29
packers1712

Wow what an awesome thread, I have nothing to do with any of it and even I'm getting excited for all involved!

I think I need to get out a bit more!

Good luck and if the purchase is actually made the a decent length drive back is also a good indication of the cars condition from a mechanical prospective at least, I bought my Amazon back in December and drove it 3.5 hours home on a car that had been stood for about 2 years albeit being fired-up and moved once back in May last year, it was great!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 15:15   #30
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
Wow what an awesome thread, I have nothing to do with any of it and even I'm getting excited for all involved!

I think I need to get out a bit more!

Good luck and if the purchase is actually made the a decent length drive back is also a good indication of the cars condition from a mechanical prospective at least, I bought my Amazon back in December and drove it 3.5 hours home on a car that had been stood for about 2 years albeit being fired-up and moved once back in May last year, it was great!

Doug.
Thank you for that vote of confidence Doug. We did consider renting a car trailer and bringing the car back that way (it is about 80 miles), but like you I concluded it would be better to give the car a run out after 2 years in a garage.

This is all very exciting, I've made up a box of stuff we might need: some tools, a magnet on a stick, 2t jack and a block of wood, a towing bar, a torch... and planned a route back avoiding motorways (A50/A6 - easy). My friend (we'll call her Janet - not her name but she can decide whether or not to introduce herself to the forum later) has arranged the insurance and breakdown cover. Bob (my dog) is coming along for the day out as well.

I can't wait - and it is not even my motor car!

Alan