Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Minor Collision

Views : 1550

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2023, 21:19   #1
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Minor Collision

Annoyingly, someone drove into the back of me tonight. Seemingly, not very much damage to my car although more to hers. In fact, I think mine just needs paint. She wants to go through insurance, I think because of the damage to her car. Any advice on how to handle this? My inclination is just to get my car repaired myself. Especially since I know someone who could probably do it for me quite cheaply. I want to avoid an insurance company deciding to write my car off for very minor damage, essentially some scratches on the bumper.

Anything I should check for more serious hidden damage?

I am not in the business of trying to profit from this. I don’t believe in that nonsense and they seemed a genuine, pleasant young couple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7995.jpg (143.7 KB, 65 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 22:59   #2
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Annoyingly, someone drove into the back of me tonight. Seemingly, not very much damage to my car although more to hers. In fact, I think mine just needs paint. She wants to go through insurance, I think because of the damage to her car. Any advice on how to handle this? My inclination is just to get my car repaired myself. Especially since I know someone who could probably do it for me quite cheaply. I want to avoid an insurance company deciding to write my car off for very minor damage, essentially some scratches on the bumper.

Anything I should check for more serious hidden damage?

I am not in the business of trying to profit from this. I don’t believe in that nonsense and they seemed a genuine, pleasant young couple.
Hi Forrest,

Sorry to hear you’ve had a couple of numpties drive into the back of your car.

Mmmm, not sure as I’m with you to just repair your car yourself, but if they have your registration number and do a claim through theirs, then I’d be worried if my insurance would be valid.

Every time I’ve enquired about insurance there is a question, have you had any accidents, if the culprit has claimed it will be on the central register so an arguable risk of not being covered. Yes you were not the cause of accident, but unfortunately you have been in one.

I do so hope you have ncb protection 🤞🤞

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 23:19   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Report it to your insurer ASAP; otherwise their insurer might try to claim against you even though you were, at least technically, not at fault. Stress that you are reporting it to protect yourself and, by association, your insurer fro malicious claims. (I had a minor bump several years ago that ripped off my front bumper and the other party claimed for whiplash - in a 5mph collision no less!)

The damage to your car might be minor but the three-letter acronym CYA springs to mind.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 00:12   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm with the others on reporting this to your insurer, something smells wrong on this one. Most people, even if they had damaged their own car, if they had rear-ended someone would prefer to keep it quiet from their insurers as they will know their premiums will jump like Zebedee on steroids.

Also although your damage looks minimal, it might be the camera angle but your bumper looks distorted to me. Despite what the insurers may tell you, you do have the right to have your car repaired and NOT written off - that's what you pay your premium for!
I know of at least one person who insisted on exercising that right and his insurers went after the other party and won their costs back - also you could argue the fact that you can't easily find another car with known history like yours and whatever they may offer you as a settlement figure won't be enough to get another car and sort it to the standard this one is currently at.

As such, repairing yours to the standard it was at before (or slightly better by way of compensation for the inconvenience rather than embetterment - not sure if that's a USA only word but there) is most definitely an option, writing it off is not.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 03:04   #5
baggy798
🤍💙💗

There's no damage there, so forget about it and drive on.
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 08:06   #6
J liddy

Default 940 TIC auto 1995 . 300000 miles

Hi I'm thinking report the incident as you see it ,rear end collision,
If the other driver is going through there insurance you will be getting correspondence from your insurers
Go through the claims and get your car back to how it was before hopefully .you just can't trust strangers to be honest sadly. Hopefully you will have no further
Inconvenience
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 08:26   #7
lynns hubby
Master Member

"There's no damage there, so forget about it and drive on."

Unfortunately we don't live in this sort of world anymore.
As stated previously by someone on here, as soon as the other party reports it, you are obliged to tell your own insurance. They will always see you as a risk as you were involved in an accident even though it was not your fault.
As also stated earlier, when you go to renew your insurance, you have to tell them that you have been involved in an accident in the last five years because they will know from the Database.
The days are gone where you could pretend that it does not matter.
This was obviously not the members fault but disclosing this to his insurance company because the damage to his car is minimal will not satisfy them on renewal day.
Don't forget, any excuse to put premiums up by insurance companies and they are on it.
Looking at the photo it does seem very minor and it seems a shame it all has to come to this.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 09:05   #8
griston64
Premier Member

Personally I would just leave it. If they drove into the back of you it's their fault so the can't claim whiplash against you. If she want's to go through insurance she will be claiming on her own

If you want to repair at a later date just do that

You could make something out of nothing
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 09:21   #9
360beast
Go redblock or go home

As someone who has dealt with a crash outside of insurance (someone reversed in to my wife) and the lady driving seemed very pleasant, I can assure you it is a massive hassle and I would never do it again. Her family got involved and tried fobbing us off and all sorts of antics, it is only because she lived in her van and was terrified if we reported it to the insurers she wouldn't be able to afford insurance again and would become homeless that I managed to get the money for a new bumper! It took several months and only when I said send the money by the end of the week or I'm reporting it to the insurance that she paid up. Also if they are going through insurance then they will contact your insurance company anyway so you would be best reporting it as they're going to find out anyway.

Stick your head under the car and have a good look at the shock absorbers and the bumper reinforcement bar and the boot floor under the carpets where the shock absorbers bolt to in case the floor has taken some damage.

Last edited by 360beast; Nov 10th, 2023 at 09:31.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 09:38   #10
4x4
Premier Member

If you or the third party report an incident to the insurance then for the next 5 years it had to be mentioned when applying for a renewal quote irrespective of who was at fault.

Someone went into the back of my wife's car in September, they wanted to pay and not involve insurance. The quote was £350 to remove bumper, repair and repaint and put back together. Third party decided that was too much and went to insurance and now we have a non fault accident hanging over us for the next 5 years...
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post: