Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which is the best 700 series vehicle for me.

Views : 1592

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 18:28   #1
neil stevenson

Default Which is the best 700 series vehicle for me.

Hi All,

I have an idea of adding a tow vehicle to our collection. It has to be cheap to run, easy to fix, no known 'type' problems with engine or gearbox, and cheap to buy. It will live outdoors and must be reliable and be a good tow vehicle for our caravan, and car transporter trailer with a 4x4 on it. It can be petrol or diesel, saloon or estate. But most of all it must be cheap to buy. 1980 to early 1990's.

I have two 200 series cars and fancy a 700 series car, but which one should I be looking for and what sort of money do they go for.
neil stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 19:56   #2
roy chu1

Default RE: Which is the best 700 series vehicle for me.

To tow, you could go for the 760 which is the v6. But bear in mind these are fairly hard to find, and hard to find one equally which is in good condition.

There is the Turbo intercooler 2.3 turbo, which is a great, car but again you must make sure you find a good one, as the turbo would feel strain under tow. My uncles 740 turbo went at 110k. This was an auto. Autos seem to blow quicker. My other uncle has a 740 turbo intercooler and he is at 185k and still on the origional turbo. This is exceptional. He uses his car to carry heavy loads of stock as well. I said that is a phenominon.

The 940 is also an option, and the 960 is also good. A lot of power for towing in the 960, 2.5 or3.0 litre which has a nice v6 engine.

Just my opinion I would try for a 760.

good luck on your search

Roy
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 21:37   #3
migrator
Aye - him again

The 960 is a straight 6 engine (3 litre version). This model does not come with a V-engine option. Lots of power for towing however and lots of comfort.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 01:22   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

I found my 760 GLE Turbodiesel (with intercooler) to be just about everything you could wish for as a towcar. My present 945 SE 2.4 (Turbodiesel with intercooler) is even better as it has a manual five-speed gearbox (the famed M90) and has been mildly tuned. The bhp is up from 122 to 145 and the torque is quite wild! Unfortunately the diesel cars are like hen's teeth to find as the owners tend to hang on to them.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 21:45   #5
neil stevenson

What does anyone have to say about a 1989 2.3 turbo ET engined 760. My local independant who has serviced my 245 DL has one with 156,000 on the clock that has had the head gasket changed and the head worked (valves and guides and oil stem guides done). New front discs and pads and front suspension bushes have been fitted recently.

The warning light for the ABS stays on at times, the speedo doesn't work first thing in the morning and the air con does not work, but it has a fresh MOT.

Is the 230 ET engine a good one, how long do the turbo's last and with the problems it has what sort of money is it worth? He is looking £700 for it which I think is a bit expensive.

I await your comments please.
Old May 6th, 2004, 00:08   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

If he fixes the ABS problem, the speedometer problem (I expect they are related as the same sensor works for the speedometer signal and the rear ABS signal, the wiring being common from boot to left-hand A-frame), the Air-conditioning AND gives you a six-month guarantee on the work done, then you may part with the £700 knowing that you have got a car that will last you for a considerable time before any further major work is needed. However in the condition it is in now, I would not give more than £300 for it as I would have to spend a lot more than the extra £400 to sort out the air-conditioning alone. Engine is fine and is fitted in the 760 Turbo which is a top-of-the-range car (along with the V6 engined and intercooled turbodiesel engined 760 GLEs).

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 13:55   #7
George Holmer

The B230ET engine is by no means as sturdy as the B230Ft with LH 2.4 as fitted to 1990 and later Turbos but for very sane driving, it would probably be ok. A petrol turbo car is not a cheap car to run and will need love and tender care to last you. You cannot by a 760 Turbo with a B230ET and treat it like a 240 with a B21A, it will disappoint you. A turbo needs good, high quality oil and filter changed regularly, it needs cooling down after driving and it needs to be driven with care, do not rev the engine above 2000 before the engine is properly warm.

The ECC system as fitted to this 760 is a wonderful, superior system which will make your life so much nicer when driving, but again, this does not make for cheap driving and as Peter has indicated, it costs megabucks to fix. If the air con does not work on this car, you should expect there to be some serious leaks and the old gas, i.e. a pressure test, rebuild and conversion which could easliy end up costing 800-1000 pounds.

I am not saying that these are bad cars, they are great and wonderful cars but they are not cheap to run and if they are cheap to buy, stay away. For a good, solid, updated 240 type car, I would without a single question go for a 1988-1989 740 GLE estate. These have alloys, power windows all round, power mirrors, leather seats, central locking, sunroof and often an autobox, i.e. some nice stuff that if broken are cheap and easy to fix. The engine is the B230E with the K-jet. Please note, a B230ET does not have K-jet, it has LH 2.2.

My two pennies...

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'79 262C (B27E/BW55)
Old May 8th, 2004, 19:08   #8
neil stevenson

Thanks for that George, a mine of information as usual.

I don't need an estate as I already have one, (245DL), so a saloon will do the job.

I have found plenty of cars across the water in England but we seem only to have over priced rubbish here, so yet again I will have to travel.

740 GL (G reg) 1989 with 170,000 miles on the clock. Manual with power steering that is heavy initally but after a few yards is fine.

What engine does this have and is it any good. Is the power steering likely to be costly to put right?

Cheers.
Old May 8th, 2004, 21:55   #9
George Holmer

Any 740 GL is likely to have the B200E and as such, not wonderful for towing, the difference to the B230E is marked. The PAS would not cost much if using, as I would recommend, second hand parts. I would flush it out properly and check the belt first of all. If it is the rack, which is possible, a new one does cost a bit (300-400 pounds) but you could get a second hand one off as new a smashed 940 as you could find at say Simpsons in Yorkshire and that would fit no problems.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'79 262C (B27E/BW55)
Old May 10th, 2004, 00:11   #10
neil stevenson

Ok George,

Can you please explain what the K-jet and the LH2.2. are and why one is better than the other.

Having looked at Ebay etc. am I right in thinking that there were more 740 GLE estates sold than saloons.

As condition and service records are more important than mileage with these cars, is there any broken item / fault in particular that
I should avoid when looking to purchase a 1988-89 740 GLE.

As I don't really like the idea of buying from Ebay I will look to our club members for a suitable vehicle.