Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removal of Radio

Views : 688

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2017, 15:27   #1
funnyjon

Default Removal of Radio

Hi all

So I'm in the process of fully stripping a 1965 P1800S so that I can restore it.

Currently tackling the interior strip, and what should be a simple thing seems to have stumped me !

How does the radio box come out ?

From what I can tell one of the bolts for removing the dash is above it so it needs to come out but no matter how long I have stared at it I can't seem to get it out !

I thought at one point it was a locking mechanism with the 3 little holes at the front but they don't seem to do anything.

Any info would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1428.jpeg (31.6 KB, 19 views)
funnyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 15:39   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

If the pic shows how the radio is now, pull the knobs of and then undo the thin nuts on the control spindles. Front panel should then be off and you can then slide the radio out the back. There are likely to be a combo of plates to lock it to the dash.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 16:13   #3
cassell
Member since 1988

Exactly as Derek has explained, the typical 60's and 70's method of radios being held in place!

One thing worth remembering when you reassemble your 1800 after restoration, especially if you decide to install a more modern radio, the gap between the dash fascia and the wiper linkage is smaller than on most other cars of that era.

If you install a radio that is too deep it will foul the wiper linkage with disastrous results! Volvo used to sell a variety of 'spacer fascia surrounds' for the 1800 range which allowed the radio to protrude from the dash. These are now very rare, so be careful if you refit a different radio to your car.

Hope this helps.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 16:30   #4
volvonic272

Jon,
As Derek says that how the radio is removed, it will have to be pulled out from the back if the dash.
Also there are 3 screws that hold the top of the dash to three tabs just below the screen, one is in the middle between the screen demister pipes and the others to the left and right.
The other 2 fastners are where it meets the A post on either side normally has some shims too.
Extra advice ,the dash top is a very tight fit where it meets the windscreen pillars, almost jammed in, be careful if you are going to reuse it ,as the ends can be damaged easily.
The plastic vinyl is crudely bent over the ends and held in with metal clips .

Hope that helps
Dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 16:32   #5
volvonic272

Hiya Paul,
You got in before me. Lol

Dave
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 16:36   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvonic272 View Post
Hiya Paul,
You got in before me. Lol

Dave
Hi Dave, Yea, another bored Sunday afternoon, always nice to help a fellow 1800er out though!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 16:41   #7
volvonic272

Very true,
Been there done that. Anything to make it easier is worth a few minutes of our time.

Dave
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 18:27   #8
funnyjon

Thank you all for your replies, i didn't even think about the back of the knobs but I guess sometimes when you are staring at something for ages you miss the obvious.

I will give this a go.
funnyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 21:29   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Jon;

Welcome to this forum!

+1 to advice already given...I'll only add that Radio (a dealer installed item), often had variations of a strap supporting the rear also.

Not present in your picture is the "Radio Wedge" Paul speaks of, which drops back of Radio to clear Wiper Linkages...apparently installed radio doesn't need one, but here it is for reference:

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote