Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo Amazon 122s... possible modifications

Views : 9697

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2009, 21:56   #1
EarlyAmazon

Default 1961 Volvo Amazon 122s... possible modifications

Hello,

I bought my Volvo Amazon a few months back, and really love it. It's a great fun, really simple car. It seems to be very original, you can read it's near 50 year history with every dent and scratch!!

It's a '61 122s with a B16 engine... here's a couple of pics:

Basically I have been considering making a few changes, and wondered what opinions and advice the experts out there can give me.

I recently fitted a recon B16 engine, which runs nicely, but I inevitably now want more power! I'm soon to completely overhaul the suspension with new bushes, ball joints, dampers and lowering springs etc, but have been thinking, 'if I'm going to renew most of it - why not improve upon what was there before'.

Basically, I'm thinking of starting with simple improvements, with the possibility of major changes in the future. So I have two stages that I have planned at the moment:

Stage One: sensible and attainable: -

Fit a mildly tuned B18 or preferably B20 engine with an overdrive gearbox, upgrade the front drum brakes to discs from a later Amazon and refurb all running gear as initially planned.

The problem is, I do have desires to make it very quick... which leads me to Stage Two... my main concern is that a couple of months down the line I'll want more than a B18 or B20 can give me (for a reasonable price) and so wonder if it's worth just starting at Stage TWO...

Stage Two: not so sensible, and not as easily attainable: -

Fit the B200FT engine from my 940... it's only done 70k, been regularly serviced etc, and with little work have 200bhp, be very reliable, ecomonical and FUN! A monster B230FT could then be fitted in the distant future too...

I've been doing a fair amount of reading on here and turbobricks, and it's making me go a little crazy. I'm still not 100% clear on some areas...

I've been thinking the following: -

Engine: B200FT
Transmission: M90 5 Speed
Tunnel: 240
Rear Axle: Standard Amazon at first - upgrade to 240 with discs (post 86 with electric speedo???) ... axle possibly too wide for an Amazon??
Prop: 240
Front Brakes: Ventilated discs from my 940 & Calipers from 240
Inlet and Exhaust: TRICKY!

Misc: Lot's of complex electronics and fuel pumps etc that I'll need help with!

The upsides, opportunity for lots of power gains in the future, and I already have the engine.

The downside, I'll loose originality of the car and it's a lot of work - that could possibly end up in the garage as 'unfinished project'!

With regards to my compitency - I have about 7 years experience working on and modifying old cars and I'm sure I could do the majority of the fabrication and mechanicas to get it all to fit - it's the modern fuel injection systems etc that scare me.

What do you think, I'm guessing most people here will advise to keep it original and simple with the B20, however, sourcing a good one could be tricky and expensive in itself?

Last edited by EarlyAmazon; Jun 6th, 2009 at 21:58.
EarlyAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 23:02   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'll advise you to keep it original and simple by not changing anything other than gradually bringing it back to its former glory. It's one of the very few early B16 models left and if you want a fast Amazon, and by the sort of specs you're listing you may have the money to achieve this, buy a much later car and spend the money on that. Just my POV but I'd rather come and have a look at your original B16 car and see that it's being well cared for. I'll still come and look at your less rare later car regardless of how much it's been chopped and changed. I know there are more of them available but your model is now virtually irreplacable.
However, it's your car, and it's not exactly the same as putting a Ford V8 into a Bugatti, but..............
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 23:33   #3
Alf ista
Premier Member

I agree with Derek. Its still your car and up to you but what you have is an early two tone car which is now quite rare. Personally I feel it would be a shame to see it changed in such a way. However, my personal tastes dont lean towards modding a car at all. I cant see the point of having a vintage car with a modern engine in it. To me, its the heart of the car and a major part of its character. But, thats me, its your car and plenty of other people I am sure will have a different opinion to me. What I would do is bring this car back to its former glory and get another project car to convert to unleash your bhp cravings, finances permitting of course.... Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with it. Hugh.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 23:45   #4
Dylan144GT

Lightbulb

Hi

I must agree with Derek here. Original is best in light of the car being an earlier rare model. If you want more power and serious exclusivity/rarity fit a vintage Judson supercharger kit (Specific kits for the B16 were made). Agent_Strangelove will be around to prod you in this direction too as he has just acquired one of these kits for a B16 544 he is planning and he'll probably be able to help you source it. Seriously, I challenge you to a modified B16. You'll be one of the only ones out there. Everyone slaps in a B18 or a B20 with a D cam and a progressive down drought Weber carb. Be different. You'll have so much interest here it'll be crazy. I share Alf ista opinion on the engine, it is the heart and soul to one of these beauties. This is obviously my opinion and I wish you luck which ever direction you choose.

Dylan

P. S. Do us a favour and post it as a project thread, that'll be great!

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Jun 6th, 2009 at 23:50.
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:34   #5
EarlyAmazon

Cheers for the replies guys. I think I have possibly not considered the car to be as rare as you suggest.

I have little money, but a fare amount of time, which lead me to the idea of inserting the newer engine, simply because I already have many parts, and the ones I don't have can be removed from cheap donors.

I don't think I could justify buying a later car aswell. Maybe one of you guys may fancy swaping a later model with my early???

I do actually love the idea of building a 'hot' B16, but my reservations are with the potential time and cost due to spare part availability... Neither Brookhouse or Amazon Cars seem to stock many parts for the B16.

So maybe I will invest my time bringing this one back to it's former glory and enjoy it for what it is...

Last edited by EarlyAmazon; Jun 7th, 2009 at 10:54.
EarlyAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:11   #6
jimbo1593
Master Member

depends what u want the car for...if you want a sleeper/hotrod then the B23 turbo convo seems like a good option. If u just want a bit more grunt them go for a B20 with twin SU, D cam, decent exhaust, leccy ignition. that will see a better power to weight than 2.0L mondeo man.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 13:34   #7
john h
VOC Member

Wink

Well, in general, I'm all in favour of modifying and improving old cars. The character of an old car can be maintained if the mods are designed carefully (and as for things like drum brakes, that's the sort of character I don't need!).

However, in this case, the originality and rarity of the two-tone B16 amazon makes me agree with the previous posters' comments.

Restore it sensitively, sell it on if you need to (it should fetch a good price), then build a monster based on a later amazon!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 15:03   #8
neal122s

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Well, in general, I'm all in favour of modifying and improving old cars. The character of an old car can be maintained if the mods are designed carefully (and as for things like drum brakes, that's the sort of character I don't need!).
John
as above surely it is better for these cars to be upgraded with a b20, or even a t5 for that matter and be used regularly and be a joy to drive with decent brakes etc than just be a museum piece thats not much fun and not used

i think thats why the vw scene has such a strong following when the cars are not a patch on volvos of the same era and price to buy, surely modded cars must be embraced if interst in these early cars is to continue both modded and restored
neal122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 15:27   #9
t5pete
The three volvo's

Imho we buy cars to use them and yes modd the car but mod the car sensebly for e.g. better brakes and reliability i would first restore the body and make sure there is no rust am full respray wouldnt go amiss.
At the end of the day its your car and do what pleases you i have a volvo 240 that im doing the t5 conversion but theres so much work involved so if you do decide to do a engine swap i hope you have quite abit of cash and knowledge.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 22:29   #10
Oilline

Take a look at the mods i am doing to my Amazon Estate. Everything i have done can be put back to original.
A lot of power can be got out of the old B20either naturally aspirated or forced induction in my case.
If you want to have a more modern gear box then the Ford Type9 will fit a narrow tunnel car, better than chopping yours up to fit a 240 tunnel.
Brake upgrades are easy enough using Volvo parts or other manufacturers with a bit of head scratching.

So there is a lot you can do without chopping up a rare early car, and it can all be put back to standard at a later date.
Oilline is offline   Reply With Quote