Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For sale 2005 Volvo S60 for spares or parts *non-running*

Views : 1163

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2023, 19:21   #1
volvodriver36

Smile For sale 2005 Volvo S60 for spares or parts *non-running*

Hi Everyone,

As it says in the title I have my Volvo S60 for sale.
I don’t know the exact reason for non running but I been told that there is no compression in the engine. A brand new starter motor has been put on it as they thought that that was the problem. I have always gone for good quality parts so there might some good parts to be salvaged.
Also 4 really good tyres on it. Goodyear Eagle F1 17/45/225
Front tyre:
Left: 5mm Right: 5mm
Rear tyre:
Left: 8mm Right: 8mm

So there is a lot of life left in them. Car still has mot on it until Oct.
I’m looking for £400, and the car has to be collected as a whole from the Ewyas Harold area (near Hereford).
Pictures available but not sure how to upload them on here.

Message me for more info or when interested.

Thank you.

Last edited by volvodriver36; Apr 5th, 2023 at 21:14. Reason: Mot mention
volvodriver36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 02:06   #2
Technician

What engine and trim level is your car?

I find it very odd a garage would go from a diagnosis of a starter motor to zero compression! Zero compression would be a total and catastrophic failure.

Has it been plugged into Vida to look at the live data like fuel rail pressure or crank position sensor readings?
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 13:42   #3
volvodriver36

Hi Technician,

It is a D5 2.4 SE.
I haven’t got an idea about cars to be fair.
When turning the key, the car did turn over but it wouldn’t start, that’s when they said it probably is the starter motor. Then got a brand new one they put it on and had the same issue. I know they then discussed among themselves what it could be and to do a compression test as if there was no compression it would more then likely be an expensive fix so I decided that when there was no compression to leave it at that.

I imagine they plugged it into VIDA but I can’t be sure. Will ask the question.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 03:14   #4
Technician

As its a Diesel doing a compression test would be a pain in the proverbial as you would have to get the injectors out, which would have most likely been multi-hour job. Did they bill you for several hours labour? What they might be referring to is a lack of fuel pressure.

It does seem a bit odd to fit a starter motor to a vehicle that's turning over. Did they show you the old part?

One thing I forgot to refit when I had a clutch done on a D5 engine was the the lower earth strap. That stopped it from starting, and if I remember correctly odd or no starting.

A proper reading on VIDA should allow a monitoring of lots of the variables needed to start, like fuel rail pressure, crank position signal, immobiliser permission etc...

Good luck checking with them.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 13:27   #5
volvodriver36

Thank you for your reply Technician,

They did bill me for several hours of work and because they couldn’t pinpoint exactly yet what the issue was It would have meant more hours.and more costs I have spoken to multiple mechanics and I know they discussed the car amongst themselves and initially all thought it was the starter, when that wasn’t it they advised off the compression test.
I know the guys well enough to know they wouldn’t pull the wool over my eyes and help where they can.

I’ve said goodbye to the car to be fair and I hope that parts of the car and the tyres can do another Volvo driver any good.

Are you interested by any chance? ☺️
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 14:00   #6
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

No compression is probably a snapped timing belt, new head at a minimum, if the belt has snapped probably bent valves broken rockers damaged cam and broken castings inside the head,Salvage Rebuilds UK on youtube have a d5 engine that had the aux belt go and wrap itself around the crank pulley, the head damage is rather bad.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
parts, s60, spares or repair, tyres, volvo