Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Danish embassy 940

Views : 23730

Replies : 247

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2022, 13:06   #81
Forrest
VOC Member

The whole 960 (V/S90) versus 940 debate is a difficult one. The 940 is a bit easier to maintain and model-specific parts tend to be cheaper and easier to obtain. The red-block engines have a better reputation for longevity than the white-blocks. However, the refined comfort and power of the 960 is very hard to resist.

I solved this problem by having both!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 13:51   #82
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The whole 960 (V/S90) versus 940 debate is a difficult one. The 940 is a bit easier to maintain and model-specific parts tend to be cheaper and easier to obtain. The red-block engines have a better reputation for longevity than the white-blocks. However, the refined comfort and power of the 960 is very hard to resist.

Thats my plan long term......trouble is the D5 or 740 will need to go first and I love them both as well
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 14:20   #83
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Forrest, my cap is doffed to you sir, not either, or, but both..... wonderful.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 18:13   #84
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Steve940, SWMBO and I have been together for 20 years now, so I think she knows that I just can't help myself sometimes, despite my genuine intentions to behave. I've had 3 cars on the drive a number of times, and while I hate the cost, there is usually some logic behind me justifying it to myself Wifey is usually annoyed at first, but then relents.

This might sound strange, but 'luckily' I'm suffering from PTSD (yes medically diagnosed at the hospital), and my therapist has said that as working on/tinkering with cars is therapeutic for me, it should be encouraged So wifey is being much more lenient than usual - she's even asked me again today if I'm sure about not buying the Royal - she'd even ask her parents if it could be stored at their place as they don't drive. So I'm very lucky to have her - she isn't usually sympathetic about anything, but since my diagnosis she has softened considerably. Which is great, but I don't want to take advantage of her because of it.

The red/white block argument is academic to me, as I've had plenty of both. 850Rs, V70Rs, S70 T5, 960s... and every version of 940 barring a 16v and 2.0 NA. I prefer the refinement of the whiteblock, but the ease of maintenance of the redblock. So overall, I'm easy either way. Its the rest of the car that swings the argument - and that is the problem in this case.

The Royal is a Japanese import, as is my 850R, and I know from experience with the 850R (and my previous Jap import Discovery V8) that the lack of road salt means that every nut and bolt - EVERY one - is rust free and is undone as easily as the day it was torqued up at the factory. No gnarly heads, no rusty threads. It just makes working on the car so much easier. Compare that with the 2 days it took me to replace the timing belt on the 940 last weekend. Every ancillary nut and bolt was rusted solid and fought like a demon. I was absolutely knackered at the end of both days - and this was just doing a simple timing belt replacement - on one of the easiest engines to do a belt replacement on. I did my 850R's timing belt in a morning. No drama, just zip, zip, zip and it was done. No chewed up bolts, no uttering a torrent of French expletives all day long

So I'm trying to balance the fact that I think the 940 saloon is the greatest car shape of the 80s/90s (barring the 780), and the fact that it is the same colour as my Dad's 960, against the fact that the Royal is one of the rarest cars on the road, will be more refined, totally rust free so easier to work on, and can be converted to LPG just as easily. But the Royal has many unique parts that are literally irreplaceable, so that has to be weighed against it.

Financially, I can't afford to keep both alongside my 850R long term. Two insurance policies is expensive enough, and I could do with that £4k to put into the house - the garage needs repairs and I want a long carport. £4k would cover those easily.

So its not easy to call, but for now, I've sided with the 940. Someone please buy that damned Royal so that I can't change my mind again
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 19:29   #85
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi RT,

You are indeed a lucky boy to have her, sorry to hear your diagnosis, but at least its a good excuse for tinkering.....

Was supposed be raining here all day, so took day off work, needless to say not a drop till this evening!!!

Idle hands and all that, I'm now in a wobble position, as I stumbled across a 145 coming up for auction this weekend not too far away, and now I have a dilemma.

Oh well, might have to confess to SWMBO, what is it they say? its easier to ask for forgiveness, rather than permission

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 19:38   #86
Moomoo
VOC Member

To err is human, to forgive divine!

Apparently.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 07:00   #87
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Well thats finalised it I've told the seller of the Royal that I'm out. I had contacted him when it was first advertised to say he'd under priced it but that I might be interested, but then life got a bit busy...

My Mum is in hospital, my sister is quite ill, and so the last thing I want on my mind is a decision like this, and then the hassle of selling the 940. The 940 is the best condition 900 I've seen in a long long time, its in a colour that is particularly poignant to me, and its quite a special car in its own right. Plus, I love the original lines of the 940 saloon - the stretched body doesn't sit right with me and I'm sure that would nag the hell out of me So I'm sticking with Plan A, and the Danish 940 is the keeper. I guess I'll be needing more 'PlusGas' penetrant

Steve, 145s don't come up very often...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 04:09   #88
irishcarfan
Master Member

This made for some great reading at 3am! I absolutely love this 940.

I'm really sorry to hear about your father, and also sorry to hear about your mother and sister not being in great shape. In a difficult position here also and understand some of what you're going through. Hang in there.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 07:36   #89
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi RT

Good choice I think having found such a good one, and we look forward to further updates on it.

Sorry to hear of your family issues, and best wishes to all.

Yes I know 145's don't come up every day, been looking on and off for the last year or so, and that was best I've come across, but I'm happy I made the decision in the end, probably will kick myself in a few months 😀

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 09:43   #90
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Irishcarfan, thanks for the feedback. I must admit that my posts are 50% a record for me and 50% written to be reasonably entertaining and/or useful. Hope your situation improves soon.

Steve940, you've shown admirable restraint

I've been unwell the last week or so, so haven't had a chance to do very much which is annoying as its the first week of our summer holidays It hasn't stopped me buying stuff every now and then, so I've now got a pair of front mudflaps and a set of grotty car mats The mats SHOULD clean up ok with a lot of scrubbing. They're OEM plush ones which is why I gambled on them. The interior of the 940 is so good that anything under par will stand out like a sore thumb

I've also sourced a new-old-stock part that I will disclose later - I've only ever seen one for sale secondhand, and I've only seen two in pictures before - I've never seen one in the flesh, so fingers crossed the deal goes ahead

In the meantime, the front corner of the wing and the rear corner of the boot are the only two clean parts on the car - where it gets a loving pat as I walk past it

Still got a few plans on what I want to do to/with the car, but they're longer term items, so I'll keep those a secret for now as well
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: