Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Danish embassy 940

Views : 23971

Replies : 247

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 12:47   #51
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I always thought the grey and green caps had different pressure relief figures? I could have made that up though 😂

Edit: yep different pressures

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.fc...%3fhs_amp=true
Cheers Luke,

Learn something new every day😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 12:47   #52
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

My box of old 940 spares has a load of sealed Volvo parts bags with various o-rings, gaskets etc - it looks like I have a set of washers & gasket etc to replace the turbo oil drainpipe for example. Hopefully I'll have a few o-rings for the gearbox-radiator connections
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 22:14   #53
Forrest
VOC Member

According to the FAQ

grey = 150 kPa (22 psi) superseded by the green cap
green = 150 kPa (22 psi) standard issue for all 700/900s
white = 100 kPa (15 psi) uncommon
black = 75 kPa (11 psi) standard issue for 140/240s

I wonder if the FCP article is confusing grey and black. My 1994 Wentworth originally came with a grey cap which eventually split apart. Volvo sold me a green one to replace it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 12:32   #54
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Been sourcing parts like a demon lately Not so good is the amount I'm spending - looks like I'll need to start selling some LandRover spare parts PDQ lol

The Nissens radiator and aircon condenser have arrived, the air filter is on its way as are the interior trims that cover the door mirrors - the currently fitted ones have been screwed in as the mounting tags have been snapped off. It bugs the heck out of me when I see those screws lol. I've also got a pair of good headlamps lined up (one of mine has a badly corroded reflector), and have bagged a scrap turbo for £20

It turned out that the reason the car was running so flat was that the wastegate actuator was stuck open, so I was never getting any boost... When I went to free it, it gave way with a nasty CRACK, and there is no resistance in it at all now. Sigh. I wasn't using a lot of force either in case anyone was wondering! So I was looking for a replacement used actuator when I found a complete 13C turbo that had died due to oil starvation. The seller just posted up a few pics of an oily turbo but I could make out the part number - just. A few minutes checking that part number revealed it was from a B200FT...

For those that don't know, this is the turbo that runs the highest boost of all the factory fitted Mitsubishi turbos. The B230FK runs just 3.5psi. The B230FT runs 7.5psi, while the B200FT runs just over 8psi, which means that the engine should suddenly be producing around 170 bhp as the B230FT runs 165bhp at 7.5psi - its higher ultimate bhp figure of 170-180 is due to the Turbo + system IIRC. So at £20, that must be the cheapest 35bhp gain I've ever had

Some not so good news, is that the battery was dead yesterday - totally stone dead. So I've put the battery on charge overnight and its back up to full charge again now. I'm going to leave it for a week to see if its a parasitic drain, or if the alternator is on its way out. TBH I suspect its the alternator, as it sounds awful - it makes a grating noise and it looks rusty inside The battery seems new but is way under sized, so I may need to replace that as well before the winter sets in.

So its going to be one step forward and two steps back lol. The list of work keeps getting longer - its officially a project car now... But it still gets a loving pat on the bonnet whenever I walk past it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 12:39   #55
360beast
Go redblock or go home

If you can see the alternator is rusty inside pull the pack off that holds the carbon brushes the name of which is currently escaping me. Chances are all the steel strips in there that carry the current have rusted and will need sanding off, I had to do this with 50 Shades and it charged at 14v afterwards.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 14:31   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

[QUOTE=RollingThunder;2831865]

The non functional Kenwood radio was easily fixed by pulling it out of the dash and putting the leads back in...! Its a pretty dire head unit, but it helped me to check the speakers - and find one front door speaker not working At least the boot antenna went up and down smoothly - I'll be rewiring that to use an antenna up/down switch so that I can control when it is extended. I have the switch, but need the icon that illuminates above it, as it was cracked when I bought it.

Please don't do that!

If you want the antenna down while driving, turn the radio off, simple as that!
Also most of the antenna switches are for manually operated electric aerials, what you have already fitted is a fully automatic one that gets a signal from the head unit to tell it the head unit is powered on and raises the aerial/antenna. When the radio is switched off, either by the front panel switch or by switching the ignition off, the antenna signal from the radio goes and the antenna retracts.
The automatic aerial has a relay built in to do this, trying to achieve the same remotely with a simple DPDT, momentary centre off switch isn't easy!

It would be a lot of work for little or no gain and would IMHO devalue the car as the aerial wouldn't work as it should.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 12:13   #57
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I know what you're saying Dave, however as the OEM radio isn't present anyway I don't think a minor modification like this is going to matter too much.

The issue is that the little darlings around here have taken to swatting car aerials as they drive past - and I think an electric aerial with a 90 degree bend half way down the shaft is much less valuable than a good working one slightly re-wired lol.

The switch mod is quite simple and easily reversible (as will be all mods that I undertake to this car) - the switch simply breaks the signal wire to the aerial, so the aerial sees 0v on the wire, leaving the aerial retracted. The default position is for the circuit to be completed as per normal, so the aerial goes up/down when the head unit is switched on. But if I want to play a CD I can retract the aerial using the switch. Its another mod that I did on my previous 940 saloon and worked well. As the switch is OEM it looks factory fitted.

360beast, thanks for that tip, I'll see if I can repair the alternator. I must admit that I'm assuming that the bearings will be shot as well, but we'll see what its like when I strip it down.

I've just bought a pair of good headlamps from Goose as one of mine has a rusty reflector. I'll pick the best out of these three and fit them - the 3rd will be kept as a spare, as will be the rusty one as the rest of that unit is fine.

The car has been looking absolutely stunning in the sun - the depth of colour seen on the CCTV cameras is amazing. I can't wait to see what the colours will be like after a machine polish Its looking like a custom candyflake paint job as it is Absolutely love it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 12:23   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Luke is referring to the voltage regulator which comes with the brushes as one assembly. Usually about £15 for an aftermarket one but you need to be careful as there are two types, one for 28mm slip rings and one for 32mm slip rings. The one for 32mm slip rings will fit and work on 28mm slip rings but with reduced life expectancy of the brushes (the slip rings will be 2mm further away to start with) but the 28mm regulator won't fit the 32mm slip rings physically.

You should be able to find a 10-digit Bosch reference number on the alternator which normally starts with 0 120 (some later models started 0 986) and it's easy to look up the correct regulator from that 10-digit number.

As for the aerial, if you want to listen to a CD, wouldn't you be driving so it would be tricky for your local little darlings to "adjust" the aerial? Failing that, as they next come past you, swat them with a baseball bat, see how they like the same treatment as they gave to the aerials!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 11:38   #59
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Took yesterday afternoon off as it was a beautiful but cool afternoon - knowing that this weekend is going to be very hot!

First job was to replace the headlamps, one of which has had its silvering polished away completely ???!!! When I checked the other headlamp I found the wiring to be a bit bodged, so I bought a pair in fantastic condition from Goose - thanks again mate, really appreciate you selling these

The first lamp came out almost without issue, the mounting bolts were very crusty and took some careful unscrewing but apart from that it was straightforward. Having swapped the cleaned glass lens from my headlamp, along with the wiper motor and trim over, I put the replacement back into place using new bolts, and I felt 100% better already

Onto the other side... what a batsard that was! All the bolts were badly rusted, and as feared, one just crumbled away to a nasty domed head I tried locking pliers, all sorts but eventually came to the conclusion that I had to smash the headlamp mounting tab to get the headlamp out and to gain better access to the bolt - which would have to be removed to fit the replacement headlamp. With the tab broken off by using a chisel, I removed the headlamp which allowing me to use same chisel to rotate the tab back and forth, and eventually the bolt was removed. Eventually being about 2 hours later

I did the same with the replacement headlamp - swapped over the glass lens after cleaning my original one (my lenses are almost perfect due to the low mileage, and have almost zero pitting), then swapped over the wiper motor and trim again. I'll need to pull this headlamp again at some point as the wiper motor isn't working, but for now, the original has been refitted.

I then started to check the vacuum hoses etc as I'd previously only had a chance to take a cursory look. I quickly found another disconnected vacuum hose, routed from the manifold to near the brake servo. It isn't the brake servo hose, but is much smaller. I think a PO has had a boost gauge fitted, and this hose has been left unattached after the gauge was removed??? Sigh...

I don't have a plug for the manifold, so I've just stuck a screw in the end of the hose for now - vacuum leak removed and the idle is already much smoother as you'd expect. I'm finding a lot of minor issues like this - it looks like someone with minimal mechanical knowledge has 'tinkered' here and there... sigh. I'm going to be replacing every hose anyway, so I'll fix whatever other little surprises have been left for me.

I replaced one of the mirror interior trim pieces on Thursday lunchtime. I hate it when these are attached with knarly chewed up screws!

Ahhh, serenity has returned Just need to do the other side today. (The car is usually boxed in tight against a wall, so I can't just nip out and do the passenger side).

As the sun had started to cool a bit by this point, I decided to wash the car - it was absolutely filthy with debris from the recent rainfall, which has brought dirt up from Africa apparently. Anyway, the car was shocking, so I spent a few hours rinsing, washing and chammying it... I think it cleaned up alright Excuse the self indulgent pics...

Yes, I've fitted S90 rear indicators... I've always thought these look so much better, and the car isn't a museum piece, its going to be my daily driver so it will be receiving (reversible) minor modifications as time goes by. Yes, originality is key in a car with this provenance, but its all reversible and I'll be keeping all the original parts

You can see some imperfections in the paint when looking up close, but I'll sort that with a machine polish at a later date - the priorities are to get this car mechanically spot on so that it can become the daily driver, taking the place of the 850R.

I've spent £1000s on that and it is genuinely a jump in and go anywhere car, but its also much more valuable than the 940 (I put it at £10-12k), and still has a very low mileage (87k) and keeping the mileage on that car down will help maintain its value. The 940 with only 68k miles on it (!), has a lot of headroom and it'll still keep its value, although being a saloon, I'm well aware that it is always going to be worth less than an estate in a similar condition with a similar mileage.

Anyway, having spent several hours working on the car, I'd built up a bit of a hunger, so as it was Friday, there was only one thing to eat - fish n chips! The car looks so good in the sun that I just had to take another pic

And that rounded off the day The drive to the chippy and back was much more 'normal' than the drive home from Sevenoaks when I collected the car - with that vacuum hose plugged, I actually had some boost!

We're getting there
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 12:21   #60
griston64
Premier Member

Looking very smart ! I really like that colour

Once you've machine polished make sure you never ever wash with a sponge or dry with a chamois.

Lambswool mitt for washing ( using grit guard two bucket method ) and pat dry with a large microfibre towel.
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: