Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New VW Passat

Views : 1243

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2014, 13:29   #1
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Default New VW Passat

In the press this weekend I have seen near universal praise for the new VW Passat. Some of the figures quoted for how many of these have been sold since its inception are phenomenal. Clearly this has been a great car for VW. My question is are there are people on here who have had one before and what were your views? I have looked in the past and found them to be expensive for what you get and more importantly, mind numbingly dull. I have never felt impressed or inspired inside a Passat. Am I just missing what they are about?
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 13:40   #2
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

My sister had the sport version diesel estate.
Always had a job keeping up with her, it went well, handled well, became the family lorry when kids came along, did everything with minimal hassle. Kept it till it was 15 years old with nearly 200,000 miles. Often got 60 mpg out of it too.
Shes bought a brand new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 13:45   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I used one for a few days, good economy from the engine but otherwise very forgetfull. It lacked quite a few of the extras that were standerd on my V40 (which was about 9 years older).

I think the main draw of the Passat is it being part of the VAG group. You can get near Audi level technology, build quality, reliability etc but with none of the Audi inflated prices or snobishness!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 14:07   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

My work uses new passats as company cars. I find the ride hard, seats aren't comfy, and I just don't like interior, as others have said very dull! When ever i have to go away with work i allways find my self wishing i could of taken my s60 instead!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 14:32   #5
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
My work uses new passats as company cars. I find the ride hard, seats aren't comfy, and I just don't like interior, as others have said very dull! When ever i have to go away with work i allways find my self wishing i could of taken my s60 instead!
My experience as well.
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 14:55   #6
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Thats to be expected, this isnt a vw forum
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 14:59   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

There are lots of brands out there that I like, Skoda, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus to name only a few but VW's tend to leave me cold. The success of VW is huge so my feelings on the matter are not going to give them sleepless nights. I was just trying to get a feel of what people liked about the Passat. This was not an attempt to bash them in an anti VW moment because frankly that would be a bit pointless.
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 15:25   #8
Paul Fife

Many moons ago my father sold his 240 DL and bought a Passat, jade green with the Audi 5cyl engine. Went like a train. Fantastic car. He had until it did 250,000 miles and he sold it to a bloke down the road. The engine block was going rusty because it didn't drip oil anywhere !

It's still going now by all accounts, dad bought a 960 turbo after that and wrote it off blocking the m4 at the tunnels outside Newport. He greatest achievement was making the traffic report on radio 2.

Used to have a C30, bought a Octavia VRS instead and turned it into a ball of scrap after being driven into. now the proud owner of a number of pins and metal plates.

Now driving a Saab 9-3

Last edited by Paul Fife; Oct 15th, 2014 at 15:27.
Paul Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 23:48   #9
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I have never felt impressed or inspired inside a Passat. Am I just missing what they are about?
Nope. My dad has had one of each of the last generations. Interior is very dull and only minor changes / improvements between the last couple of models. It's a workhouse but that's about it.

I also think it's quite expensive. The new basic Passat S with the 150bhp engine is £50 less than the Volvo S60 D4 Business Edition, but you'd need to add so many extras to the Passat to make it equivalent (Passat doesn't even have automatic air conditioning or cruise control)! Also can't match the 99g/km co2.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 02:39   #10
oragex
Premier Member

I had a 1999 1.8T model before. Great driving position (if a bit low to the ground), very comfortable suspension, good seats. Weak engine overall (with auto transmission). Very solid drive on open road. After about 8 years various electronic parts in the cabin were giving up.

The newer Passat however is only a stretched version of the Jetta. Nothing in common with the refinement of the original model.