Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement Hoses...

Views : 991

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2003, 20:30   #1
BilboBagginss

Default Replacement Hoses...

Hi all,

Having just looked at Kalmar-Union.com, I notice they have a replacement silicone rubber hose kit.

Has anybody had experience of fitting one and are they worth it?

My "beast" is a '96 T5 with 180k on the clock and runs well. How vulnerable are the standard Volvo hoses?

Cheers.

BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 17:23   #2
jason

Hi I sent Don in Kalmar Union an e-mail last night requesting the silicone hoses all 7 of them i think,i am waiting to hear from him and will most likely buy them if they are not to expensive,my car is also a 96 850 T5 with 120,000 miles 90,000 very hard ones.

i will let you know when i have more details.
Jason
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 12:11   #3
burchi

Default RE: Replacement Hoses...

Hi

I have the replacement hose kit for my V70 which Don got for me.

They are the Samco silicone type and seem very strong and being silicone as opposed to rubber will last for ages.

This is a very worthwhile mod especially to anyone that is planning an ECU or any other power upgrade as the pressures kicking around the engine are increased beyond what the stock hoses were supposed to handle.

Also, when fitting the turbo breather hoses, it is wise to chnage all the breather box assembly as they are notorious for becoming blocked and will compromise the performance of the turbo etc...

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 18:25   #4
BilboBagginss

Thanks Ian,

Were they easy to do and have you got any tips/tricks before i go jumping in ?

Cheers.
BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 18:55   #5
Andy
Master Member

All but one of the IC pipes are a piece of cake to fit to the 850.

Just do one at a time or make sure you've figured out which one goes where. Bottom IC pipe (90 degree pipe) was a pain to get to without a ramp so I left that one till a service.

The water coolant pipes look hard however.

My original pipes were very hard and brittle and had started to split after 100k and my Rica upgrade, so I second Burchi's post.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 21:25   #6
RedR

Just to back up Burchis Post about changing the breather box....It's WELL worth it!! My Old T5 had 130,000 miles on it. I noticed that I would constantly get oil around the breather pipe, just about at the entry to the turbo. (Where the breather hose joins the main ducting from the air box).

I changed the Breather box (Not an expensive part), and the problem dissapeared.

To do the job you will need to buy:-

1. Breather Box
2. Inlet Manifold Gasket
3. Seals for Injector to Manifold joint (Just in case they split)

Theres no real noticable power gain, but the engine will run sweeter, and it's good to know that all that messy oil isn't getting into your Turbo.

Cheers

Nigel
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 12:38   #7
burchi

Hi

As Nigel confirms, this is a very worthwhile service item and amazingly not one that Volvo change at any set interval in their service schedule!

The easy way to tell if there is any sort of blockage is to take the car out for a normal run and then come back home, leave the engine running and then remove the oil filler cap. If there is any trace of smoke coming out of the filler area, then this shows the breather is blocked. Apparantly, if it's really blocked, it will look like a steam train!

As for hose fitting, not a bad job. Fiddly more than difficult! When you've done it though, at least you'll know that your hoses are secure. I did mine before having the RICA upgrade. More a case of prevention rather than cure on my part... A thought echoed here by Andy.

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote