Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Well Sir, I'm Definitely interested but.......

Views : 1303

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 21:49   #1
Dave M

Default Well Sir, I'm Definitely interested but.......

Here's a topic for some of you boffs out there to explain ...If possible...

I'm advertising a couple of cars for sale at present, One's my Bimmer, the other an unwanted 460LE that I can't appear to give away...

Anyway.. My question is this "Why do people Timewaste the sellers time when looking to purchase a car???"

I'v clearly marked in the advert "NO TIMEWASTERS" and what do I get, The plonkers that turn up with no dosh, you know the type "Oh, Errm I'm waiting on the result of a bank loan/Finance"

Or.. " I need to see what the wife says" Well, why did you not bring her along to view the car?

Or "Luv the car, always wanted an automatic, but the wife hates them/can't drive one and it's her I'm buying it for see... Can I take It for a test drive?"

Or "I need time to think about it....." Why? you either want the car or not, nothing to think about If you don't like something then say so, don't hang around in the drive way in the freezing cold dithering!!

Or " Can I see the car in daylight/Tomorrow?" why are you out looking at a car in darkness anyway? Why do you arrange to comeback at a time then DON'T!!!!!!

Why do you do it? why do you put others through unnecessary hardship polishing/washing/valeting/Checking oils/levels etc Do you not care how you waste others time, do you not have a tongue in your head that can say "No thanks mate, it's not for me" you'd do it in a restaurant if the food was too spicy/cold/Turned etc wouldn't you? so where's the difference on buying a car??

I've had another "Pratts Bottom" loving the car, enjoyed the test drive, liked the colour etc will call tommorrow etc only to have wasted my time having polished the car etc.... Why do these people do it?? The ad says "No TimeWasters" Yet Still they appear... What cheap jollies do they get from doing this??

Sorry for the rant, but it is infuriating to have gone to great lengths to make the car look the Dawgs Doodahs only to have a NO SHOW/NO MONEY/ NO INTEREST!!!!

Can someone explain this, Cause I can't.... If I haven't got the money I don't "window shop" or waste others time, If I don't like the feel of the car Then I'll say so and decline... not stand in the driveway haggling over colour changes, stone chips etc

Sorry... but it P***es Me Off!! Grrrrrrrrrrr x( x( x( x(

Regards
Dave M
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:57   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Default RE: Well Sir, I'm Definitely interested but.......

Not necessarily the words of a boffin but here goes (and I hope that you don't think I'm a timewaster - I'm sure you have better things to do than read this).

You seem to be a bit hacked off because what you are selling is not exactly what the potential purchasers are looking for. When you describe your car for sale your comments are biased in favour of the car (as will be the comments of anyone selling a car). The thoughts of any purcheser are biased against the car. After all the purchaser is the one spending the money and if it is not exactly what is wanted then no sale.

Why do you complain about the preparation of the car for potential purchasers? Surely you realise that the better the presentation the better the chance of a sale. Checking the fluid levels, operation of electrics etc is not just a function of the sale. These are normal running checks. Obvious works done (as you get in trader sales) can be pointers to hidden problems (like camoflagued crash damage badly repaired).

I for one do not just look at one car and then buy it. I will look at several cars and compare later - hence the need for time to think about it. I do make a point of telling sellers this and if they sell to someone else before I decide then it is down to my loss.

Hanging about in the driveway is a buyer's ploy. Apparent interest followed by 'dithering' has been known to promote a reduction in the asking price as has haggling over stone chips etc. Does someone want your former 'pride and joy' as their main car or as a secondary car where overall appearance is not quite so important as mechanical reliability.

As to the timing of seeing the car 'in the dark' and 'in the freezing cold' how about those sellers who are not available during daylight unless by specific appointment? How about those stating 'NO TIMEWASTERS' who give phone numbers that are not attended and have no answer facility?

Some people can be more emotional in buying a car than others. What was described in the advert may seem to be exactly what was wanted by one half of a couple and a buyer can appear to view the car with the pre-conceived idea that this is just the ticket with all the attendant couple clash problems. It is always a good idea for the more practical half of the couple to view the car first and if happy to bring the other partner along for a second viewing. Do you make large purchases on a single viewing without discussion?

Selling and buying is a double edged sword. You should always remember it is the buyer that is putting themselves out by having to find out where you are and then get there.

One good rant deserves another.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 22:29   #3
doorman

In any sales situation, people buy people, before they buy the product, it may well be your attitude that is putting people off. Thus there coming up with all the polite excuses, rather than offending you as to what they really think of you. I think a good starting point would be to remove the words 'No time wasters'
Should I include that statement in my business, I don't think I would have any customers. Think about it!!!
Dave
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 22:46   #4
johnw

As a former "timewaster" I have to say that I've looked at more than one car I thought I would like, but was disappointed by when I saw it.

It is not easy for many people to tell a seller fact to face that they don't want his car - he may be offended - he may even (like you) be upset at having had his "time wasted". So they don't. They say they will have to think about it, then don't ring you again.

The problem is not with the buyers. It is a buyers market. The problem is your attitude.

Just my stinking opinion...
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:13   #5
neil stevenson

As I have my 244DL advertised with AutoTrader this week I know how you feel but the words No time wasters would not encourage me to look at a vehicle for sale.

As has already been said, most people tend to buy a car from someone they like and feel they can trust. Your advert needs to feel friendly to entice people to view and then either the vehicle sells its self as its a very good buy or you have to sell it by your attitude.

I try not to think of selling a car as a chore but as a challenge to be enjoyed if possible. If it sells well and good but if not I just have to try again.

Hope you have some luck.
neil stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:21   #6
sheerwater
Master Member

Dave,
Falls into the same catagory as garages who take your car in for repair with prior warning and then sit for days saying that they cant get the part!!! Excuses Ive had revolve around ''we cant get the part../cant do the jobtoday'' ''can you bring the car back on...'' variety.
How come if you make a mistake whoever it is wants to charge for their time. i.e. interest for credit cards for late payment....25% surcharge for returning the wrong part. Has anyone here ever had a 25% refund after the supplier supplied the wrong part????
Talking of timewasters I feel that in todays culture of ''its always somebody elses fault'' that thinking for oneself is going out the window.
Best example I have is a tenant who phoned on a Sunday saying the kitchen tap would not turn off and was flooding the room. Duly sent a plumber who found.....wait for it....that the tap was a mixer tap and they had only turned one side off!!!!!
I agree with you however about timewasters. Being in property purchase the tyre kickers exist in droves. In fact i have had 2 occasions where I knew what I wanted to buy and after an assesment of the propery made an immediate offer. So astounded were the estate agents that in both the cases they phoned my solicitor to ask if I was for real or only taking the mickey. Nige
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:02   #7
Dave M

Firstly, Thanks to all that replied to this and too Sheerwater for his more responsive attitude. It would appear that I'm in the wrong here and not to expect too much of todays buyer as they seem far more interested in the person rather than the car, As can be proven by all those that shout their mouth off about my attitude rather than the car! It seems that theres a lot more thoughtless people out there than first thought, You've based your opinion on how I described a Potential sales oportunity and how angry I felt at someone that hasn't the decency to phone back or say what they're thinking i.e "I don't like this car, it's not for me!" Instead there's the lies and deceit that is, in my eyes "TIMEWASTING" . In all of your opinions not one of you out there picked up on the fact, that I mentioned EXAMPLE: If your food was cold/too spicy/ Not satisfied, you be the first to complain and state your case wouldn't you? Then what's different about the purchase of a car? Tell the truth of how you feel about the purchase not beat around the bush.......

Now for those that have the wisdom to criticise my attitude without knowing the full facts, here are some for "The Professional Salesmen" among you...

1/ I AM A PROFESSIONAL SALESMAN, HAVE ATTENDED MORE SALES COURSES THAT YOU EVER HAVE! I've even won awards for professionalism in the art of the sale! My job Title is/was AREA SALES MANAGER, what's yours??

2/ You've sold errrr... how much?? Emmm try Multimillion pound contracts with some of the best out there i.e BP/Shell/Texaco/ Glaxo Welcome, ZENECA ETC and you've only sold on the driveway..Arthur!

3/ I did ask for opinions, good or back and I'm always willing to listen to new ideas, But there are those that have over stepped their mark by mouthing of about how I behaved on the day. Lets get this right... Do you know me? Do you know what I'm Like? were you there?? Did I Turn around and have a pop at your character?? Didn't think so and won't, the topic as migrator and sheerwater picked up on was the sale of the car not how I behave or acted.

So to end this all before it gets to far, Your opinions are appreciated and thanks all who participated, but I think there were to many snipers and not enough rational thinkers.

Therfore I consider this matter now Closed.

Regards
Dave M

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 09:41   #8
tonyflynn1

I run a company, I built it, I don't work for one.

The first rule of sales is to listen, second is to empathise.

People buy off people they like.

You can't teach people to sell, they either can or they can't.

Job titles are meaningless, I've met more than a few sales managers within large PLCs that have risen because they've stayed.

It's much harder to sell to an individual than a PLC, most deals I do with corporations are pretty simple, the punter wants the problem off their desk and it's not their money.

PLCs buy solutions, punters buy possessions - totally different philosophy, totally different purchase.

If I see 'no timewasters' then I'll keep walking, it smacks of arrogance.

I hope I'm seen to have played the ball and not the player but I never ask for opinions unless I want to hear all of the answers.

(edited for spelling)
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 09:49   #9
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Draw a line under this one now, please

This thread is heading towards a personal discussion which is always dangerous - let's agree to differ in our approaches to car sales, and leave the life philosophies to a different forum.

Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 09:51   #10
tonyflynn1

Default RE: Draw a line under this one now, please

Simon, you old fluffy diplomat...!
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote