Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roof boxes

Views : 1301

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:56   #11
TaffyJerseyBean

Its a no from me if thats the case
Old May 23rd, 2022, 10:59   #12
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockonabike View Post
I’ve got a kamei Delphin box that I bought from roofbox.co.uk about ten years ago. It still looks great and fits well on the roof of my v90 these days. I use Thule roofbars, also from the same site.

Before you fork out for a branded box from Volvo or Thule I’d suggest taking a look online.

The other bit of kit that I bought was one these car door latch steps as it makes getting the box up and filling it very easy . https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doorstep-Ve...13771916&psc=1
Bought the same box about 10 years ago for the S40 asking with a set of whispbars from the same place. Box did a great job, at one point I think i left it on the car for about 3 years in a row with no ill effects to the box, mpg wasn't excessively impacted too.

Lightweight enough to lift up into the car on my own too.

Still have the box in the garage although not sure I'll need it again as they E class estate swallows up everything.

Not sure I'd trust those steps though, think I'd stick to a small folding stool.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2022, 13:52   #13
jockonabike

In terms of the wee step damaging the car. My experience (which I accept is not empirical evidence) is that it took my weight, circa 19stone + a fully packed suitcase without so much as a creak, dent or squeal. It may be that my V90 is made of stronger stuff but I have had a good look and there's no damage.

G
jockonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jockonabike For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2022, 14:30   #14
BlueDevil

Well...
Seems that it MUST hold the weight of a single person - many times over. Says here that according to SAE J839B document the door latch must support 2500 lbs of vertical and 2000 lbs of horizontal force:

https://www.mokidoorstep.com/pages/faq

So that's that then... at min. 900 kgs of downforce rating it will support my sorry ass many times over. And then some.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 21:18   #15
pzctjf

I recently bought a new roof box for my V60. I really liked the look of the Thule vector but couldn’t justify the crazy cost ~£1300!!. I ended up getting the Thule Motion XL (Paid £549) which is more than big enough for what I need. Just hope that I can squeeze under the 2M high toll barriers (fast toll tag lanes) when I head to France next month. I think with wing bars and roofbox it comes to 1.95m so fairly close !!

This is the Thule Vector which look smart on the V60:

Thule_vector_V60.jpg

And this is the Thule Motion XL on my V60:

IMG_4103.jpeg
pzctjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2022, 22:24   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Well...
Seems that it MUST hold the weight of a single person - many times over. Says here that according to SAE J839B document the door latch must support 2500 lbs of vertical and 2000 lbs of horizontal force:

https://www.mokidoorstep.com/pages/faq

So that's that then... at min. 900 kgs of downforce rating it will support my sorry ass many times over. And then some.
Because critical safety component that maintains the structural integrity of the car in a huge crash.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2022, 23:01   #17
Mavi57

Quote:
Originally Posted by segakid View Post
Looking to get a roof box for my V60. I’ve mainly been looking between the Volvo ones and the Thule ones available but I’ve never actually had one so I am not sure if there is anything I should be considering. Has anyone got any particular recommendations for brands to go for or not? And if the Volvo ones are even worth considering or not.
I have
Hapro Traxer 6.6 roof box, anthracite black, no. 35908

lot of space and good price.
Mavi57 is offline   Reply With Quote