Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Data Sim Card PAYG UK - Recommendations - April/May 2022

Views : 3566

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2022, 07:59   #21
DoaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
So with the WiFi can anyone in the car connect if I have passengers? I take it this would drain my own data if other passengers were using my phone connection to connect to the internet?
If you set your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your car to it (which is what I plan to do when my new car eventually arrives) then anyone else would be able to connect to the same hotspot (as long as you give them the login details). I can't say whether the car would create its own hotspot using your phone's hotspot as the data connection, but I doubt it.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 08:42   #22
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
I'm not sure if the system supporting the OnCall does this without a sim or indeed the vehicle tracking if it's stolen?
You don't need to install a SIM nor tether a phone for Volvo On Call and vehicle tracking to work. There's another 'hidden' SIM in the car for these functions.

Note that if you do install your own SIM, all data (including the above) is routed via that SIM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2022, 13:40   #23
lordofthejungle

Mystery deepens. I better read manual and understand what the car does. I have never bothered understand what on call is. Or for that msttwr what that little black stick that came with it like a hard drive stick does … till date I have put it in D and drove….everything else is on the phone!!
Old May 23rd, 2022, 15:22   #24
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthejungle View Post
Or for that matter what that little black stick that came with it like a hard drive stick does
I can help with that one - it's another key for the car, sometimes known as a sports key. It has no buttons but otherwise works in the same way as the normal keys.

It's waterproof but the battery is not easily replaceable.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 22:45   #25
lordofthejungle

Thanks! Must have dead battery cause it’s been in the tray since I bought this car few months ago and I still can lock the car. Mmmm. Will keep it there for now. Mystery solved.
Old May 30th, 2022, 13:55   #26
swxc90

I've just ordered one of these. 40Gb for the equivalent of £4 a month. 3 5G data only.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
swxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2022, 16:45   #27
OldEngineer

I didn't know the system could run 5g?
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 11:29   #28
Basill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
You don't need to install a SIM nor tether a phone for Volvo On Call and vehicle tracking to work. There's another 'hidden' SIM in the car for these functions.

Note that if you do install your own SIM, all data (including the above) is routed via that SIM.
Great post, I bought a 24 month SIM before I knew about that, when it expires I can enable internet sharing over bluetooth on my car and phone. A quick test this morning indicates "did I lock it" still works with my SIM removed. Happy days :-)
Basill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 08:31   #29
voukos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthejungle View Post
Mystery deepens. I better read manual and understand what the car does. I have never bothered understand what on call is. Or for that msttwr what that little black stick that came with it like a hard drive stick does … till date I have put it in D and drove….everything else is on the phone!!
you are not alone! I dont know where to look for any SIM! I wonder if something has ran out, as my app journal hasn't tracked any journeys for 3 days, although i can still lock/unlock the car remotely.
voukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 09:29   #30
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voukos View Post
you are not alone! I dont know where to look for any SIM! I wonder if something has ran out, as my app journal hasn't tracked any journeys for 3 days, although i can still lock/unlock the car remotely.
The VOC app has been faulty for the last few days, don't know if it is fully restored yet.
The black stick like a USB stick is your sports key. Functions exactly as the larger keys, but doesn't have any buttons, nor can you change the battery except by a bit of careful surgery.
There can be two sims in the car, one is a permanent one installed by Volvo for use by the On Call and SOS facility. You may also fit another personal one at your expense.

Tags
data sim