Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bleeding fuel line 2.0 d V70

Views : 761

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2022, 18:53   #1
Vagabondrobb

Default Bleeding fuel line 2.0 d V70

Hi guys,

So after refitting engine on my 2.0 d V70 I can’t seem to bleed the fuel lines… after much sucking with a turkey baster on the return line at front of engine (fuel filter is located next to fuel tank at rear and difficult to access) I seem to have got rid of quite a few pockets of air. She will fire up with ez start and I can see fuel running through supply line into pump with sporadic bubbles, but once I stop spraying engine dies. I’ve been at it for quite a few hours. Do I need to persevere? Or could there be something else at play that I’m not considering? I’ve read a few other methods on threads, such as pump on fuel filter side, but as I say very difficult to access on my 2009 v70. I’m going to try compressor in fuel tank but can’t seem to find the thing.

I’ve also noticed there’s a valve (like a tyre valve) on the feed line just before it connects to pump on right hand side of engine. Anyone know what this is for? Assuming it’s for connecting a vacuum pump.
Vagabondrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2022, 23:17   #2
passenger
Master Member

Try

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2022, 21:02   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Use a priming bulb / hand vaccum pump on the green return line connector... Squeeze the priming bulb till hard, or if you are using a hand vaccum pump (mityvac etc) then keep pumping until you have built up some vaccum pressure on the gauge.

Then have an assistant crank the engine over until it fires (or do it yourself), then quicky disconnect your primer and reconnect the fuel lines.

KEEP THE REVS UP after starting!

Repeat until engine stays running.
Old May 25th, 2022, 11:14   #4
Vagabondrobb

Thanks guys. When I squeeze the hand vacuum pump it just stays compressed. If I turn the engine over it very slowly decompresses, but I can't "pump" it - doesn't seem to have enough force to draw anything through, at least not straight away. Ive managed to draw quite a bit of fuel through by running the engine with some easy start, but there is zero indication it wants to do anything without it. There does seem to be a pretty constant supply of bubbles in the return line, so maybe air is getting in somewhere....

Arrrrrggghhh
Old May 25th, 2022, 16:31   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I always use a handheld vacuum pump like a mity vac - about £20 on ebay. I've never had any luck with priming bulbs, then only seem to draw once fuel is in them.

If you still struggle to suck fuel through the pump, try drawing it from the pump feed initially.

Tip : raise the rear of the car as high as you can on jacks/axle stands so the height difference between the tank and the pump is reduced... better if fuel tank is full as well.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 25th, 2022 at 16:35.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2022, 21:34   #6
Vagabondrobb

Angry

Thanks for the suggestions guys. After becoming convinced that Id gone above and beyond with bleeding the lines I started thinking about other causes.

Turns out it was a siezed fuel regulation solenoid on the fuel pump. I removed the one that came on the "new" engine and didn't look too healthy. Replaced with the old one and hey presto, fired up straight away.

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagabondrobb For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2022, 22:48   #7
passenger
Master Member

Thanks for feedback

You have some pics?
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2022, 19:16   #8
Vagabondrobb

Sure can...

Fuel pump located at the rear right of engine. The pump in the pic is from the old engine - you don't have to remove this (its almost impossible to remove
anyway as one of three bolts is obstructed by the air intake that bolts to the back of the engine and cannot be moved )The valve isn't too difficult to remove in situ (two allen key bolts), but removing the battery box and air filter box etc makes life easier!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220527_104414.jpg (270.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220526_194003__01.jpg (82.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220525_203605.jpg (154.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Vagabondrobb; May 27th, 2022 at 19:28.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagabondrobb For This Useful Post: