Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Delivery News

Views : 74151

Replies : 617

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2022, 17:11   #251
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnut View Post
Covers the gap between a total loss payout and what is owed on finance.

If that doesn't help google it. It's amazing what you kind find on the internet!
Thank you Dohnut.

Which? says:

"Generally speaking, GAP is likely to be worthwhile in the following situations:

You used a large loan to buy your vehicle

Gap insurance can offer a means of paying off outstanding finance on your car, which means if your car’s stolen or damaged beyond repair you won’t have to continue to make payments on it.

You’re concerned about the depreciation of your vehicle

The quicker your car loses its value, the less your insurer will pay after a total loss incident, compared to what you paid for it. Gap insurance means you’ll get more back.

Your car is on a long-term lease

If you have a long-term rental agreement for a vehicle with a mileage allowance, a write-off could leave you without a car and a bill for thousands of pounds. Gap insurance can help protect against this."

As I explained, I don't currently use leasing or finance so that leaves depreciation as the only possible justification. And at the moment my car isn't depreciating significantly. I accept this is highly unusual and probably won't continue.

Dealers offering GAP insurance at the same time as huge discounts (eg almost 40%) is therefore a bit of a contradiction.

The cheaper insurance options may well make rather more sense.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2022, 18:08   #252
TaffyJerseyBean

PCP finance tracks depreciation over the period you “own” the vehicle. You are paying off the car’s depreciation rather than the full cost of the car itself. The problem is that the rate of your accumulative repayment is linear, whereas the rate of depreciation starts high and reduces with time.

In normal circumstances, your accumulative payments won’t “catch up” with depreciation until typically 2-2½ years into the agreement. If the finance deal is calculated correctly, a nominal amount of equity should appear later on. Manufacturers hope you’ll use this equity against your next agreement as an incentive to renew. (Some call it "free money" - its anything but!)

Should you have an insurance claim that results in a write-off, the insurance company will pay out the car’s market value at that point OR an amount that it deems suitable to put you into a comparable car of age and spec, whichever costs less.

Unless you are beyond the “breakeven” point in your PCP, this pay-out won’t cover all the outstanding finance money owed which you will have to fund yourself.

There are two main types of GAP insurance that deals with these scenarios:
- “Agreed Value” GAP pays out any shortfall between the insurance company pay-out and the remaining money owed to the finance company. This is a good option if you are happy with not having a new for old replacement OR you just want to walk away.
- “Return to Invoice” GAP pays the shortfall as per “Agreed Value” GAP PLUS any cash deposit you paid into the deal upfront. This effectively leaves you in a “reboot” position to put you back as you were the day you ordered your car, ideal if you want to replace old for new or have maximum flexibility.
Used car valuations are artificially high at the moment because manufacturers are failing to keep up with consumer demand. Currently, new car depreciation is either very slow or even negative (i.e. appreciation!) depending on the model. That’s great news today but the market will have to right itself at some point. When it does its guaranteed there will be a collapse in used car values accordingly.

If you want to counter the risk then a good GAP policy is a must. If you don’t or if you’ve purchased your car outright then GAP is not for you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TaffyJerseyBean; May 26th, 2022 at 18:12.
TaffyJerseyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TaffyJerseyBean For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2022, 18:22   #253
TaffyJerseyBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
As I explained, I don't currently use leasing or finance so that leaves depreciation as the only possible justification. And at the moment my car isn't depreciating significantly. I accept this is highly unusual and probably won't continue.

Dealers offering GAP insurance at the same time as huge discounts (eg almost 40%) is therefore a bit of a contradiction.

The cheaper insurance options may well make rather more sense.
Your car is not be depreciating at the normal rate at the moment because used car values are artificially high. The situation will right itself at some point and used car values will collapse quickly as the market recovers.

For you a GAP product that perhaps safeguards the value of your car today may well be worth looking into. This is a variation of the "Agreed Value" GAP product I mentioned and pays the difference between the insurer’s final settlement and an agreed value on the day you purchased the GAP policy.

If you had a write off, this type of GAP insurance would essentially put you back to where you are today.

Not trying to sell GAP insurance here. I'm just risk averse!

Last edited by TaffyJerseyBean; May 26th, 2022 at 18:25.
TaffyJerseyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TaffyJerseyBean For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2022, 18:13   #254
scotdoc72

Well - arrived at the dealer this morning! Still wrapped up but looks fab. Collecting on Thursday….
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 17:03   #255
mboros

Just a quick update my dealer told me my car will arrive 1 week earlier than the confirmed date which was July 25

I ordered an XC60 B5P Plus Bright in Januar 11 and the scheduled build date is June 27 and no delays yet. Pretty happy so far
mboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 21:59   #256
RB1992

I was informed by my dealer that my V60 B4 Plus Dark in Bright Dusk will be delivered mid July. Ordered nov '21 (as a MY22). This is a lot better than the previous expected dat at the end of August.

Lets hope this will be true, but you can't really count on anything these days.
RB1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 23:19   #257
Tresco85

We drove past Grimsby docks the other day and there were a load of new Volvo’s there.
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 12:48   #258
Docs

Called into my dealer yesterday.
He logged into the system and it told us my build date has moved from the 7/6 to 30/6 with a delivery of the 3rd week July.
Hope it stays that way. 🙏🏼
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 15:33   #259
Pablo B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs View Post
Called into my dealer yesterday.
He logged into the system and it told us my build date has moved from the 7/6 to 30/6 with a delivery of the 3rd week July.
Hope it stays that way. 🙏🏼

Hi - is that for model year 23? (I have a MY23 XC90 recharge ultimate on order)

All the best
Pablo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 15:45   #260
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo B View Post
Hi - is that for model year 23? (I have a MY23 XC90 recharge ultimate on order)

All the best
"On order, T8 Recharge Dark Theme Plus, Silver Dawn"

Must be MY23 as its a "Dark Theme"

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post: