Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024965

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2022, 12:04   #2871
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd say just about right, should discourage the idiots and enforce the buying decision of those actually looking.
Thank you Dave - your opinion is much valued.

Alan
Old May 28th, 2022, 06:30   #2872
Othen
Premier Member

I've been feeling a bit guilty about not using the RB much since I bought GAM, and so have reverted to it being my around town car this week; I've reminded myself what a nice motor car it is. Just yesterday eve I had a need to drive up to the other end of town on an errand, took the RB and ended up taking the long way home only because I enjoyed the driving experience so much. As I look out at the RB on this lovely spring morn I'm reminded what a good looker it is:

... perhaps I won't mind too much if I end up keeping the RB after all :-).

Alan
Old May 28th, 2022, 07:25   #2873
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've been feeling a bit guilty about not using the RB much since I bought GAM, and so have reverted to it being my around town car this week; I've reminded myself what a nice motor car it is. Just yesterday eve I had a need to drive up to the other end of town on an errand, took the RB and ended up taking the long way home only because I enjoyed the driving experience so much. As I look out at the RB on this lovely spring morn I'm reminded what a good looker it is:

... perhaps I won't mind too much if I end up keeping the RB after all :-).

Alan

It’s better where it is bud!

You’d only spend the proceeds on loose women and drink, or waste it!😈
Old May 28th, 2022, 07:43   #2874
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
It’s better where it is bud!

You’d only spend the proceeds on loose women and drink, or waste it!😈
... or paying the first year's insurance when Dan passes his driving test!
Old May 28th, 2022, 07:46   #2875
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Aye, or that! Ouch! 😱
Old May 28th, 2022, 08:09   #2876
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
I remember it was only £1100 for me to insure a 360 when I first passed! Swapped to a 2003 Fabia VRS and it was only £1750 to insure with no NCB.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2022, 08:27   #2877
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I remember it was only £1100 for me to insure a 360 when I first passed! Swapped to a 2003 Fabia VRS and it was only £1750 to insure with no NCB.
1971, 1956 Beetle, TPFT, £52.

Almost six weeks wages, as a seventeen year old at the time!🤔
Old May 28th, 2022, 08:34   #2878
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
My first premium was £157.50 on a Mk3 Cortina 2.0XL - most of my workmates had cars with much smaller engines (biggest was a Mk1 Fiesta 1300S) and they were all paying more.

Kids these days are ripped off worse than ever for insurance. How they are expected to pay upwards of ~£40/wk just for insurance i'll never know.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2022, 09:16   #2879
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My first premium was £157.50 on a Mk3 Cortina 2.0XL - most of my workmates had cars with much smaller engines (biggest was a Mk1 Fiesta 1300S) and they were all paying more.

Kids these days are ripped off worse than ever for insurance. How they are expected to pay upwards of ~£40/wk just for insurance i'll never know.
I'm not sure anyone is getting ripped off Dave - it is just that the risks are enormously high and the costs of fixing things if they go wrong can be very high also. I've just cut and pasted this from some place on the internet (the first result that came up):
How many drivers crash in their first year of driving?
Nationwide, 43 percent of first-year drivers and 37 percent of second-year drivers are involved in car crashes
... so nearly half of all new drivers have an accident in their first year, and not many less in their second year.

I won't like the idea of having to pay 2 grand to insure a Skoda Fabia (or similar) when Dan passes his test and gets his first motor, but then given the above I don't see why all other motorists should subsidise new drivers just because they are careless.

Looking at it from the insurance underwriter's perspective, a couple of grand to cover a new driver seems cheap if he/she has almost a 50-50 chance of a prang in the first year. Motor cars have become very expensive to repair because we have chosen to have a high cost/high wage society and indeed very fixable vehicles are frequently written-off as a result. We have also chosen to become a compensation culture society, indeed it seems almost an expectation that victims of minor accidents will expect a few thousand for made up whiplash or similar un-disprovable conditions. I don't agree with the compensation culture, but someone has to pay for it.

So, whilst I won't like having to stump up the cash to get Dan insured, I can understand the reasons why.

:-(

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 28th, 2022 at 09:22. Reason: Correction.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2022, 09:26   #2880
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone is getting ripped off Dave - it is just that the risks are enormously high and the costs of fixing things if they go wrong can be very high also. I've just cut and pasted this from some place on the internet (the first result that came up):
How many drivers crash in their first year of driving?
Nationwide, 43 percent of first-year drivers and 37 percent of second-year drivers are involved in car crashes
... so nearly half of all new drivers have an accident in their first year, and not many less in their second year.

I won't like the idea of having to pay 2 grand to insure a Skoda Fabia (or similar) when Dan passes his test and gets his first motor, but then given the above I don't see why all other motorists should subsidise new drivers just because they are careless.

Looking at it from the insurance underwriter's perspective, a couple of grand to cover a new driver seems cheap if he/she has almost a 50-50 chance of a prang in the first year. Motor cars have become very expensive to repair because we have chosen to have a high cost/high wage society and indeed very fixable vehicles are frequently written-off as a result. We have also chosen to become a compensation culture society, indeed it seems almost an expectation that victims of minor accidents will expect a few thousand for made up whiplash or similar un-disprovable conditions. I don't agree with the compensation culture, but someone has to pay for it.

So, whilst I won't like having to stump up the cash to get Dan insured, I can understand the reasons why.

:-(

Alan
I get all that Alan and also agree we shouldn't subsidise new drivers - perhaps we should be educating them better and making the standard of competence to drive higher to start with.

As for whiplash, i bought my second Jag with part of the payout i had for mine. The Jag is long gone, however 20+ years on, i'm still suffering the effects of the whiplash. Genuine whiplash is a horrible thing but i do know many try and fake it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: