Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1991 940 GL saloon - modified in Birmingham

Views : 1160

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 20:30   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default 1991 940 GL saloon - modified in Birmingham

For sale is the 940 I affectionately call 50 Shades of Grey

Build thread here

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311775

This has had some serious money spent on it and the owner absolutely loves it but he is pursuing his plans to live somewhere more rural so he needs a van for moving building supplies. Anything this car has needed it got without question.

It came to me after being sat in Wrexham under a tree for a year with running issues and it was completely rotten.

It started out as a 129k mile B200F with an M47 gearbox, I fitted a 1995 B230FK, M90L and 3.54 axle that had 204k miles on the clock. The car the engine came from was in a scrapyard about to be crushed when I pulled the drivetrain out of it, the shell was immaculate and the car clearly was very loved. I suspect it was only in the scrapyard due to the owner passing away and then being scrapped as it was just an old car as it had only done 50 miles since the last MOT and service (I found the service book in the glovebox).

I then changed all of the gaskets and oil seals (including a resealed distributor) apart from the head gasket, serviced it, all new belts and cambelt tensioner.

It is running a 984 ECU and matching ezk from a 1998 celebration with an ECU chip from Martin Smith.

Blue Me7 V70R injectors

Manual boost controller set at circa 8-10psi

Just had a £650 custom stainless steel decat exhaust fitted which is 2.5" diameter with two silencers

Fully polybushed front end using superflex/powerflex bushes and classicswede ARB polybushes

Resurfaced dog dish flywheel with extended pivot ball, Retro turbo input shaft support bearing and the Sachs clutch kit that Classicswede sells rated for 300hp.

Cone filter which I made a custom bracket for to mount the MAF on so it isn't just supported by the inlet hose. This makes very loud wastegate noises and pleases the inner teenager when driving.

The horrible collapsing front seats were swapped with some tired but much more supportive half leather seats and the rears were swapped for a set of S90 leather/suede seats.

The speedometer didn't work but I had a set of gauges from a 1992 Wentworth on 329k miles, I fitted them and luckily the speedometer works. The car was on 129009 miles when the gauges were fitted and the replacement gauges read 329015 so it is nearly bang on 200k miles less than what is shown on the gauges.

The shell has had about 40 hours of welding and fabrication put in to it and the entire underside has been stonechipped to give it a protective coating and give it a factory finish underneath.

The only thing that lets this car down is the bodywork as both drivers side doors need rust repairs and the two mirrors are oxidising with the paint peeling. There are dents and scrapes etc but IMO that just adds to the real sleeper effect. This is a quick car that pootles around effortlessly but when you give it some it really gets going.

It has had the following changes very recently

Alternator belt - genuine Volvo
Ignition control module - genuine Bosch
Crank sensor - NGK
Fuel pump relay - Meyle
Fuel pressure regulator - can't remember what brand but the expensive one from rock auto
Halfords 096 battery about a month ago

Apart from the alternator belt and battery they were only changed as preventative maintenance.

The car is located in South Birmingham and the owner is looking for £3300.

Pm me if interested and I will give you the owners number, he has about 60 photos and a video of it running that he can WhatsApp to you.

Last edited by 360beast; Mar 24th, 2022 at 21:04.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 07:40   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've been asked to drop the price to £2950
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 19:15   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The owner has just put it through an MOT early to see what it would need and it passed with no advisories so it has 12 months MOT now.

Tyres are Bridgestone all weather control a005 Evo tyres and done 11k miles, it has just had a wheel alignment and was serviced recently too with an oil and filter (genuine Volvo filter and shell helix hx7 10w40).

Last edited by 360beast; Apr 5th, 2022 at 19:57.
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 20:20   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144495577...mis&media=COPY
Old May 26th, 2022, 16:16   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Deposit taken
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: