Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water leaks

Views : 1119

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2022, 22:32   #1
IAEB

Default Water leaks

Hi guys, first post,

I've tried searching my issue with no results.

I have a 2008 V70 that has decided to drench the passengers floor - via the A Pillar (video documented) and the offside of the tailgate trim, every time it rains.

I've sealed the windscreen and the rear window to no result. Drenching the affected areas with a hose reveals no water ingress.

I'm aware that the factory windscreen seal was poor, and have sealed it previously to solve it drenching the dashboard...

Could there be an issue with the roof bars?

Said V70 is going into maintenance this week (I have something else to drive until its sorted), I'll gut the interior and see what I find.

Any steer on this would be appreciated.

Cheers
IAEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 10:18   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm aware that the factory windscreen seal was poor, and have sealed it previously to solve it drenching the dashboard...
To be clear, what form did the windscreen sealing carried out take? If you did it yourself and used silicone, that is not adequate. The job is a full windscreen refit necessitating the removal of the screen with the attendant risk of breaking it, cleaning away all traces of the original sealant and resealing with factory grade sealant. This is not only to prevent water ingress but to ensure that the screen is providing the structural strength that it is supposed to do in the event of a crash.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 22:01   #3
IAEB

Hi Tatsfield,

Thanks for your reply,

I am aware of the structural aspect of the windscreen and its bonding in terms of bodyshell rigidity.

At this stage, I'm optimistic enough to proceed on the premise that the leak is localised, i.e. a gap in sealant coverage, as opposed to adhesive, thus not undermining overall integrity.

Of course, when I eventually find the leak I may change this assumption.

My windscreen guy tells me that re-fitting an existing windscreen is a fools errand. Old screen out - new screen in. No Messing.

I'm inclined to agree with him TBH.

I have visibly sealed front and rear windows with a PU (3M) specific window sealant. Maybe I haven't done it as well as I thought?

Its in tomorrow for a stripping, will report back.

Cheers

PS, cars eh?, who'd have em?

PPS, it gets worse, it's the wife's...
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 09:30   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Does the car have a sunroof ?

Does the rear screen washer work as it should ?

Last edited by Lancee; Sep 27th, 2022 at 10:21.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 10:10   #5
Oak

Leaking around the GPS aerial in the rear roof is common too. I think a known Volvo KB covered this and there's updated parts/seals to resolve
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 11:48   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
My windscreen guy tells me that re-fitting an existing windscreen is a fools errand. Old screen out - new screen in. No Messing.
If your windscreen is not properly bonded, Volvo will refit the existing screen for you free of charge as it is, as you realise, a safety issue. Dealers tend to resist the request, mainly through staff ignorance, but Volvo have always picked up the tab when the matter is pushed directly to them. But you have to stand your ground and not let the dealer bully you. They only make one caveat, that if the screen is damaged during the refit, the owner is liable for the new screen Since you are contemplating paying for the screen anyway, this would not be a deterrent to having the repair done under Volvo's terms. The shock will be the cost of paying for the screen!
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 18:44   #7
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If your windscreen is not properly bonded, Volvo will refit the existing screen for you free of charge as it is, as you realise, a safety issue. Dealers tend to resist the request, mainly through staff ignorance, but Volvo have always picked up the tab when the matter is pushed directly to them. But you have to stand your ground and not let the dealer bully you. They only make one caveat, that if the screen is damaged during the refit, the owner is liable for the new screen Since you are contemplating paying for the screen anyway, this would not be a deterrent to having the repair done under Volvo's terms. The shock will be the cost of paying for the screen!
I went through the screen out/screen in again last week. Will post an update in the thread where I first reported my problem.
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 21:38   #8
IAEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Does the car have a sunroof ?

Does the rear screen washer work as it should ?
No sunroof, screen washer is OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to IAEB For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 22:02   #9
IAEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Leaking around the GPS aerial in the rear roof is common too. I think a known Volvo KB covered this and there's updated parts/seals to resolve
I've stripped the rear roof trim panel and lowered the roof lining whilst solving the sagging tailgate syndrome, i.e. replacing wornout struts, there is no sign of water entry around the GPS antennae (a dud in my case - no satnav, poverty version)

My hunch is that the hatch water entry is down to various failures around the glass bonding. I'll seal all around tomorrow and see how it goes.

Cheers

PS, I think I have identified very poor workmanship - mine - during a previous attempt at sealing the windscreen, it would seem that appearances trumped effectiveness, forever my shame.

PPS, I'm going to have a more aggressive attempt at sealing this tomorrow, should solve the problem...

Will report back.

Thanks all
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IAEB For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 22:03   #10
IAEB

Just noticed the sticky. Sorry Mods.

Have sealed everything, will post results on the relevant thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to IAEB For This Useful Post: