Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which size tyres?

Views : 404

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 23:29   #1
Rob1950

Default Which size tyres?

I'm looking to replace the tyres on my recently acquired 940S estate (1994). Of the existing ones, 2 are dated 2014, 2 dated 2009 and the spare is 1999! Car has only done 10k miles since 2009, so they have tread but rubber deterioration is the worry.

The 4 on the car are 185/65/15 but the spare is 195/65/15. Putting the registration into various tyre retail websites usually brings up a choice of both options. I'm curious to know which is preferable and is there much real difference in every day use? I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton and the car is the non turbo model anyway, so it's leisurely comfort I'm after!

Also what's the preferred brand. I've been looking at Michelin & Goodyear, although the pre- Xmas deals seem to have disappeared.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 11:42   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Volvo used both on the 15" wheels on the 940. Unless you're into performance modding you'll want the same all round including the spare.

I think in later years they fitted 185/65/15 to the saloon and 195/65/15 to the estate. However, until last year I had a 1994 estate which I bought at a few years old from a Volvo dealer which originally came fitted with 185/65/15 but which I changed to 195/65/15. The latter is a more common size for winter tyres.

I found no issues changing size. They fit on the same rims. The overall diameter of the 195s is slightly greater. This actually made my speedometer a bit more accurate, but isn't enough to make a huge difference.

Personally, I've nearly always gone for Michelin or Pirelli with Michelin being my preferred brand for the Volvos for a long time now. The last tyres I bought about a year ago I narrowed the choice to Primacy 4 or CrossClimate. I went for the Primacies because they are non-directional so you only need to carry one spare.

If you're in the market for a whole new set of tyres you could also consider changing to 16" rims with 205/55R16 tyres. Auriga wheels are the cheapest and most common 16" rims for the 940 (watch the RWD offset) with Galaxies possibly the most desirable.

I would go more by the condition of tyres than their age in determining whether to replace, especially when it comes to the spare. If they have been stored in cool, dark conditions off the car they will last much longer than they will on a car parked outside.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 18:54   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default tyres

hi Rob
i replaced my tyres a year or so ago mine have always been 185 65 15 , 88h
i never drive over the speed limit so the cheaper 88h suits me but i only have put michelin tyres on the car bit more expensive but for safety ,quality, and longevity they are very good the latest type are cross climate ,not had them before but so far very good i think , i got a very good price from my formula 1 auto centre if booked online , some of the younger chaps here prefer the larger rims which will be bit more expensive ,but 185s suit me at my age now, i do switch mine front to back after about 19000 miles as the front wear out faster, also if there is scrubbing on the outer ,inner edges then tracking shoud be done
another cost but yours may be ok i had all the front bushes replaced few years ago so tucking was miles out on 1 wheel , but all looking good now ,
my personal opinion only !!
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 18:56   #4
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default tyres

o i get the best of the worn tyres as my spare but i never use it but it gets changed when ever i need new tyres for safety reasons
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 21:13   #5
Rob1950

Thanks for all the good advice which sort of confirm my thoughts. Another member has offered me some virtually unused 205s at a good price and I'm considering them but on the other hand I'm concerned not to put anything that was not a standard option at the time, on the car. Call me boring but I want to keep it absolutely original. I won't be doing a high mileage and probably won't be driving in bad weather conditions. I do favour the Michelins and may wait for a deal on four, putting the best of the no branders on the spare. Happy also to have found four new old stock volvo wheel covers. Currently I have 2 of one design on one side and 2 of another design on the other.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 21:50   #6
Spasibo

Thanks. Very useful advice
Spasibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 22:07   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1950 View Post
Thanks for all the good advice which sort of confirm my thoughts. Another member has offered me some virtually unused 205s at a good price and I'm considering them but on the other hand I'm concerned not to put anything that was not a standard option at the time, on the car. Call me boring but I want to keep it absolutely original. I won't be doing a high mileage and probably won't be driving in bad weather conditions. I do favour the Michelins and may wait for a deal on four, putting the best of the no branders on the spare. Happy also to have found four new old stock volvo wheel covers. Currently I have 2 of one design on one side and 2 of another design on the other.
Are you sure the 205's youve been offered are 15" ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 16:35   #8
richiekuk

195/50/15's here. On a 1997 945 LPT.
richiekuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 17:40   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I'm running 195/65/15s on the Valdez.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 18:30   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Are you sure the 205's youve been offered are 15" ?
Yes Mark they're 15" same tyres I'm running on the 760
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, tyres