Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Importing a 500k+ car to another country

Views : 694

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 00:46   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default Importing a 500k+ car to another country

Portugal is a sad excuse for a country and it would cost me almost 5k to import my 940. Something the EU courts already deemed illegal, btw, but they keep doing it. Fortunately, there is a mechanism through which I can avoid paying the main tax because it was my main car in Spain and I am moving here permanently. So instead of 5k it's about 500€.

Probably in the next few days I am going to do the inspection that is supposedly very thorough, so I'm a bit worried.

Tomorrow I'm, hopefully, if it is not raining, readjusting the throttle valve, clean the car and the underside. There are no leaks, really, besides a little bit of a tired steering rack that always has a drop hanging out, even though it does not lose fluid.

Also there is a bit of a leak on the exhaust that i tried (and failed) fixing with putty. Which might catch the inspector's eyes. Hopefully they don't complain. I did just pass portuguese regular inspection a few months back without any remarks, but you never know.

If I can do these details tomorrow, I'll probably pass by the inspection place by the end of the afternoon. Which us luck.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 00:19   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Have you looked up what the test actually looks at and what the criteria for pass/fail are?

I've heard others say the annual testing regime in Spain is very formal but not as exacting as in some other European countries, e.g. Germany.

If it fails do you have a period of time in which to put it right?

Do you have all the right documentation for the test?
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 00:33   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Have you looked up what the test actually looks at and what the criteria for pass/fail are?

I've heard others say the annual testing regime in Spain is very formal but not as exacting as in some other European countries, e.g. Germany.

I'm importing from Spain to Portugal. They are a bit more picky than in Spain. But this inspection is especially stringent because they look for possible mods, if the cats are type approved, if the engine number matches, that sort of thing.

In a normal inspection you will have 31 days to come back and re-inspect for a small fee. But this one I don't know. Because you aren't really just inspecting if the car is good to be on the raod, but if everything matches and whatnot. It's not just a matter of fail/pass. They will have to make a document that I will then bring to portuguese customs to prove the car matches the paperwork i am presenting.

For the test itself I only need the CoC, which I do have already, and the registration papers from spain.
I ended up not doing it today because I didn't have time and tomorrow I have to transport new windows for the house I am restoring. I'll do it Friday or next Monday.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jan 17th, 2024 at 00:37.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 05:22   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

I read it as Salvador was leaving Portugal and importing it to Spain too.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 12:47   #5
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I read it as Salvador was leaving Portugal and importing it to Spain too.
Nah, I was in Barcelona for a few years and bought the car there.

I don't even think this "940 Classic" was sold in Portugal. Which is something that might cause me trouble importing the car, because the model might not have a national homologation number (the national equivalent of the EC coc number). This is complicated crap, and spain and portugal make it even more complicated. Plus the car being from 97, a transition period, doesn't help. The car is homologated but the law still didn't require that the number came in the paperwork, so my car only has it on the Vin plate. I nearly avoided having to pay for complete homologation which was about 400€
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 20:56   #6
SalvadorP
Master Member

After many hurdles, today the Mean Sweed Machine finaly went to the special MOT. First it was like the regular MOT but they went through my papers confirming the vin, block number etc.

Then it was the emissions test, which I was a bit afraid of, because the car's official papers will have to have the rela values, since the coc doesn't have the factory emission values.

The guy was very impressed with the emission test. It came out at 366g/km (official value is 244). He said he was expecting at least 500 or more, especially for a car with such high milleage. My answer was: "regular maintenance".

Hopefully now it's just a matter of days to a couple weeks max until I have Portuguese plates, granted nothing goes wrong with the paperwork I present., since I'm asking for a tax exemption on importation. There shouldn't be any issues, but you never know. I will celebrate when the process is finished.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 14th, 2024 at 20:58.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 11:39   #7
tofufi
Premier Member

Fingers crossed for you!

For info, 366g/co2 per km equates to approximately 18MPG, or 15.7l/100km.

The official figure works out at 27MPG (UK), or 10.5l/100km.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 12:58   #8
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Emission test

I doubt if the result of this emission test can be compared with the official figure. For type approvals a car manufacturer will want to have an equal playing field, so the test itself and testing conditions are determined in protocols which are strictly adhered to. The official emission figure will be the average result of a very specific engine load pattern involving several different load cases.
I guess this test was done at a single engine load only, so it cannot be compared. If done at full load/high speed, for example, the emissions will be much higher.

The testing conditions are so specific that the VW diesel software could recognise them. It then went into a special test mode to fake the emission test to get better results.

But then again, if this is what is takes to get the Volvo admitted in Portugal, why argue? Apperantly it was needed to get the open field in the official document filled in, or is there a maximum value specified?
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 13:56   #9
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
I doubt if the result of this emission test can be compared with the official figure. For type approvals a car manufacturer will want to have an equal playing field, so the test itself and testing conditions are determined in protocols which are strictly adhered to. The official emission figure will be the average result of a very specific engine load pattern involving several different load cases.
I guess this test was done at a single engine load only, so it cannot be compared. If done at full load/high speed, for example, the emissions will be much higher.

The testing conditions are so specific that the VW diesel software could recognise them. It then went into a special test mode to fake the emission test to get better results.

But then again, if this is what is takes to get the Volvo admitted in Portugal, why argue? Apperantly it was needed to get the open field in the official document filled in, or is there a maximum value specified?
Agreed, 100%

I was just interested to see the values, both official and as tested, in terms of the fuel economy!
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 15:00   #10
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post

I am not gonna predend to understand everything you just explained because I don't know the first thing about these protocols or testing proceedures.

I think all cars need to be tested to be registered in Portugal, but in my case specifically, I really needed the g/km value because the coc didn't not contain that value. And yes, like you assumed, there is a space in the official paperwork that needs to be filled in with this value and if you don't have it on the coc, the "real" value from the MOT is what counts. There is no maximum ammount specified, at least not for car prior to 2017. I would pay MUCH more in importation tax (8.5k€ for my car) because it is heavily based on emissions. For comparisson the same car with 244g/km would pay 4.5k€, so 4k less than one with 336g/km. Anyways, I am asking for exemption from this tax because I'm relocating to portugal, so I would be exempt of this tax either way.

They also ask for the particulates value, which I let blank because I had no way of knowing it. So I'm still not certain if they will accept the process/car or not. I suppose early next week I will know. The process is awaiting revision.

Question: Supposedly this would be a WLTP test right? So the values would be higher than the original either way!?