Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 - D5244T Engine 'Limp Home'

Views : 1039

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2014, 19:45   #1
andyvtr

Default V70 - D5244T Engine 'Limp Home'

Good evening all

I'm new to the site having 'borrowed' a 2002 V70 with 248k on the clock!
The engine has a known fault in that it goes into 'limp home' mode under moderate acceleration at around 2500rpm, plus receive a message to "service the engine". Fault and message clear when the engine is stopped and restarted. I've also noticed a brief hesitation during acceleration around 1500rpm, again under moderate acceleration. Any pointers as to the problem(s) or checks that I can do would be appreciated.

Possible faults that come to mind are sticking turbo IGVs or MAS (had this with a Golf TDI previously)

Thanks
Andy
andyvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2014, 20:38   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

it could also be a dirty fuel filter injectors MAf vNT eGR . you need codes to be honest then we will try and put you in the right direction.
mike
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 21:41   #3
andyvtr

OK, thank you. Also read your recent post on the ECM 6805 fault code.
The Following User Says Thank You to andyvtr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 20:53   #4
andyvtr

Smile V70 - D5244T Success!

Thought I would give an update and share what I found & did to resolve my problems. I read the fault codes, 2 principle codes being;

ECM 6805 Turbocharger [TC] control valve
ECM 2505 Fuel pressure too low

Work undertaken;
1. Replaced existing turbo air inlet hose with pattern part (£28 from Parts Monster - ebay). A bit tricky, best performed by removing the crankcase ventilation PVC heater & fitting to the new air hose with some silicon lubricant prior to fitting the air hose. Unfortunately this didn't resolve the limp home problem, however was worth doing as the existing turbo air inlet hose was very soft.
2. Cleaned the EGR mixer plenum and associated air hoses with EGR cleaner (£5 from Euro Car Parts). The mixer plenum and hoses were clear with minor carbon deposits, however worth cleaning anyway. This didn't resolve the limp home problem.
3. Removed/cleaned/lubricated/replaced the turbo control valve. It is located on the front of the engine behind the air intake hose. It seemed partially blocked, so I sprayed EGR cleaner into the valve and then lubricated with WD40. I also sprayed WD40 into the two associated vacuum hoses. This worked and resolved the limp home problem. A great cheap fix!
4. I also replaced the fuel filter, as it hadn't been changed for 5 years, at the same time as cleaning the turbo control valve (£16.50 from Euro Car Parts). This resolved the hesitation problem under acceleration.

I've subsequently checked for fault codes after a couple of weeks and both ECM 6805 and 2505 have stayed away - great result.

I suspect the inter-cooler is leaking as there are oil deposits around the front bumper and when cold a slight 'whoosh' can be heard until the engine warms up. A job for the summer when its warmer!

Thanks for the info on the site. Hope my post helps out...

Last edited by andyvtr; Feb 25th, 2015 at 20:55.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to andyvtr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 22:31   #5
D5meister
Premier Member

If you have oil on a/c condenser as you mention, it will go wrong again and you will need a new IC
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 18:25   #6
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

'Fuel Pressure Too Low' probably points to the Fuel Filter, and yes, I would guess your Intercooler has gone. Changing the I/C is a bit of a pig.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d5244t, limp home mode, mass air flow, turbo issue