Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Leak

Views : 1055

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2012, 09:48   #1
stevieboy1

Default Oil Leak

Hi There

I noticed some oil had "escaped" the engine the other day and had run down the drive.

I have checked the dipstick level and it seems ok.

The leak appears to have come from the driver side of the engine bay, and appears to be coming from or at least has accumulated around the black box in front of the power steering fluid reservoir. In fact, at first I thought perhaps it was a PS fluid leak.

Have only driven the car since around the house to park it in the garage and there appears to have been no further leakage.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Will see if I can work out how to put up a picture....

Many thanks,

Steve
stevieboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 17:28   #2
stevieboy1

On further inspection it does appear to have lost about half of its oil, but is no longer leaking.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 19:34   #3
Jim314
Premier Member

So is the oil level in the sump off the end of the dipstick? Or do you mean that the level is midway between full and add on the dipstick?

If you have lost half the oil, then the oil pump might be starved and so not maintaining oil pressure which would account for the leak stopping. It might not be a good idea to run the engine in this condition, but if you are running it does the engine oil pressure warning light stay on?

There is an oil cooler on the bottom of the engine which can be a source of a leak. I think it is on the back of the block.

What model of vehicle is this?
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 13:50   #4
stevieboy1

Thanks for the reply. The oil level is about half between max and min on the dip stick. No engine warning lights on at the moment.

Car is a 2002 Petrol Turbo V70XC

Going to have a good look tonight to see what I can see with torch and give everything a good clean.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 18:14   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

Check the oil return pipe from the turbo as they are well known to spring a leak - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 20:08   #6
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The oil level is about half between max and min on the dip stick. No engine warning lights on at the moment.

Car is a 2002 Petrol Turbo V70XC

Going to have a good look tonight to see what I can see with torch and give everything a good clean.
So you lost 0.5 L of oil and still have about 5 L in the engine. You don't need to add oil, there is plenty of oil to lubricate the engine. But you do need to find out the source of the leak.

One thing to check is that the positive crankcase ventilation system is working properly. When the engine is idling the crankcase is suposed to be under a slight vacuum. With the engine idling remove the engine oil dipstick and put the tip of a finger or your thumb over the dipstick tube opening. You should feel very slight suction as you remove the finger.

Alternatively, you can remove the oil filler cap and see if a card is held down to the opening.

Last edited by Jim314; Jan 5th, 2012 at 21:14.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 11:09   #7
stevieboy1

OK, so further investigation has revealed a leak of Power Steering fluid, the pipe clip at the bottom of the reservoir needed replacing, due to pressure of the system it made a fair mess hence the initial difficulty in diagnosis.

That said, however, I still have lost some oil which needs consideration, is it possible that these engines naturally burn a little anyway? It has done 150K miles now? I will check the vacuum though useful advice that
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 22:03   #8
Jim314
Premier Member

How long since you changed the oil? The loss of 0.5L of oil over several thousand miles is of no consequence in a car run this distance.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 10:08   #9
stevieboy1

OK, Power steering pipe leak fixed, and had a good clean up of the engine bay.

Regarding the Oil leak, pretty much the entire oil system has been rebuilt (previous owner had not changed oil for a long time) so initially cam belt and top half all sorted, then oil pick up issues surfaced half of oil system worked on, seals were all hard and perished etc. so actually this car had 4 complete oil changes in about 1 month and this was all around 2000 miles ago. I topped up the oil and it actually took around 2 litres, so clearly something is not right.

I checked the vacuum effect on the dipstick and it seemed OK, and there is no obvious evidence of leakage, so I will just monitor for a while. I also had to top up the coolant, always a concern when this is required needed to add about 200ml so not a huge amount. Oil is clean so not concerned that head gasket is the issue here.

Generally a little concerned at the moment :-(