Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sucks the glove but still smoking

Views : 1053

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2015, 01:50   #1
clank

Default Sucks the glove but still smoking

Cleared the PCV system, now it sucks the glove over the oil filler hole, no more smoking dipstick, but it still billows oil smoke from the tailpipe. If you drive or just rev it up it is worse. Too much smoke to be able to drive it. I can now see oil drip from the catalytic converter. Could it be the turbo or valve seals? Could it just be build up of oil burning off?
About a week ago the smoke started, and it was sluggish. Attached the glove over the oil filler and it blew up like a balloon. Smoke puffing out the dipstick hole. I cleaned out the pcv system. It was blocked at the lower crankcase hole for oil to drain back into, and at the vacuum line attached on the left bottom of the intake manifold banjo bolt. Only a little crud inside the PCT. Cleared out everything including dropping the oil pan. I found an o-ring in the pan that must not have stayed in place when it was installed before. New o-rings now. Cleaned out the air intake to the turbo. It was pretty clean, hardly any oil residue. The turbo spins freely. I can slightly move it side to side, less so in and out .Compression test was 200lbs each cylinder. I've only driver it around the block a couple of times when it was dark out, and I have let it idle in the driveway for long periods, occasionally revving it up.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
clank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 13:26   #2
4candles
I've Been Banned

I would check the integrity of turbo oil return pipe to ascertain it is free flowing back to the sump, a blockage or collapse could cause this as the oil forces past bearing into induction/intercooler ducting and also contaminatng the cat.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 02:35   #3
clank

thanks, good advice. Makes sence to check if it is clogged causing the problem before going ahead with removing the turbo. Now I'm struggling with the hex bolts
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 02:28   #4
4candles
I've Been Banned

Performed PCV check today, glove sucked in gently, no discernable pressure at dipstick, so it seems operational...

TBH, i was rather expecting 2 of the glove fingers to inflate in V arrangement,
or even the middle digit to spring up, but no, it just sucked in, not even a thumbs up..

Now just left wondering why i have a missing seal plug at rear of block?

Ordered a new one so will fit it and assess. And clean up the mess on block.
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 03:22   #5
clank

My oil return pipe was not blocked. It was easy to get the hex bolts out once I got a 1/2 drive hex bit driver.
I will be taking the turbo off next. Does anyone know someplace in Canada , specifically in Ontario to get a rebuild kit? As far as I know my turbo is 13T superback.
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 03:32   #6
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank View Post
My oil return pipe was not blocked. It was easy to get the hex bolts out once I got a 1/2 drive hex bit driver.
I will be taking the turbo off next. Does anyone know someplace in Canada , specifically in Ontario to get a rebuild kit? As far as I know my turbo is 13T superback.

Sounds Yankee that turbo, lol
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 03:34   #7
4candles
I've Been Banned

Yeah, sounds turbo to me, bearing seals.

Tags
exhaust, pcv, v70xc